Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are great but...

chill doggie

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The hispanic minstrel show really brings them down.
Hector Salamanca sounds like a legitimate retard using google translate on American idioms. Fring also has a bad accent and bad wording. Those cartel twins are corny homo ethnic terminators. Even those with kinda good accents like Nacho’s dad and the John Hopkins doctor have weird deliveries and not 100% fluent enunciation.
They don’t speak from the gut or the heart, their dialogue isn’t hearty like the Americans, they’re like Uncle Tomás puppets.

I stopped watching Better Call Saul around the 4th or 5th episode during the 1st season when it came out because I felt the plot was kinda trudging but I revisited and it really started to pick up and I’m watching it now and loving Bob Odenkirk’s performance. But when the plot turns to these payasos I start wishing I didn’t know spanish.

I heard the German is also awful.

Love the dark comedy in the show though, this moment made me laugh out loud:
When Jimmy reads his dead brother’s suicide letter to him

Last edited:
the fuck are you actually even on about

the fuck are you actually even on about
I almost liked TS' post because I figured I was the one missing something, but I still wanted to fit in, even if I wish I knew Spanish.

This is like third thread today I have no clue what it’s about ... I maybe still drunk from Thursday

Newsflash, ts, Taco Bell isn't really Mexican cuisine.

raw

tacobell.gif

The show is for White people to watch and they won’t be able to tell the difference.

The show is for White people to watch and they won’t be able to tell the difference.

This. Don't overthink it. It's white boomer escapism, nothing more. Probably why i was never able to get into it, that and the drug aspect.

^This.

To a non-Spanish speaker, we can't tell the difference.

The one that bothered me though is Giancarlo Esposito's accent because I don't even speak Spanish and I could tell it's terrible. This is weird to me because I first knew him in the movie "Fresh" where he played a gangster named Estaban. His Spanish accent sounded convincing... at least to me.

It can be worse though... directors usually conflate Haitian and Jamaican accents just because both are Caribbean and those aren't even close. Haitians sound closer to Nigerians.

It's the equivalent of using a Russian accent for an Italian accent because both are European.

I know some can’t but some are able to tell, just like Germans notice the awful German.

This. Don't overthink it. It's white boomer escapism, nothing more. Probably why i was never able to get into it, that and the drug aspect.

I’m not overthinking it, just sounds like nail on a chalkboard. Same as Michael Rapaport’s southern accent.

Maybe there’s also not a lot of actors that speak 100% English and 100% Spanish, least they should have writers that do.

^This.

To a non-Spanish speaker, we can't tell the difference.

The one that bothered me though is Giancarlo Esposito's accent because I don't even speak Spanish and I could tell it's terrible.

So you can tell the difference, don’t play dumb.

I know some can’t but some are able to tell, just like Germans notice the awful German.

I’m not overthinking it, just sounds like nail on a chalkboard. Same as Michael Rapaport’s southern accent.

Maybe there’s also not a lot of actors that speak 100% English and 100% Spanish, least they should have writers that do.

So you can tell the difference, don’t play dumb.

Wtf?

I literally said Giancarlo Esposito was the only one that I can tell the difference (because he isn't a Native speaker probably). The others sound the same to me and other non-Spanish speakers. You probably wouldn't be able to tell different dialects of other languages apart either.

Dude, get a grip. Proper accents are rarely ever shown in cinema if you scrutinize to the level you are.

The hispanic minstrel show really brings them down.
Hector Salamanca sounds like a legitimate retard using google translate on American idioms. Fring also has a bad accent and bad wording. Those cartel twins are corny homo ethnic terminators. Even those with kinda good accents like Nacho’s dad and the John Hopkins doctor have weird deliveries and not 100% fluent enunciation.
They don’t speak from the gut or the heart, their dialogue isn’t hearty like the Americans, they’re like Uncle Tomás puppets.

I stopped watching Better Call Saul around the 4th or 5th episode during the 1st season when it came out because I felt the plot was kinda trudging but I revisited and it really started to pick up and I’m watching it now and loving Bob Odenkirk’s performance. But when the plot turns to these payasos I start wishing I didn’t know spanish.

I heard the German is also awful.

Love the dark comedy in the show though, this moment made me laugh out loud:
When Jimmy reads his dead brother’s suicide letter to him

It bothered me too, takes away from the show. I never understood why Gustavo Fring had to be Chilean. Chilean Spanish is very unique. You're right, they could have done better with that. Los escritores se dejarán por la cagada, me cachai weon?

P.D. Sabes que no vale la pena discutir con la gente de este foro. Son orgullosos de su ignorancia, aunque hay más de 50 millones de personas en el país que hablan español.

Back