News BREAKING: Aljo/Cejudo is a “done deal”

I doubt it happens, but if it does than Sterling by RNC.

Uck, Cejudo doesn’t deserve it.

You shouldn’t be able to sit out and then cherry pick a champ you match up well against… he didn’t match up well against Yan, so he gets to sit out and avoid him until he loses and then jump back in? I’m not saying that was his plan all along, but it’s just bullshit, that’s not how a sport should work.

If Cejudo stays and defends it I won’t care, but he’s gonna try to get a shot at the 145 belt immediately after, or he’s gonna try to pick another good matchup like O’Malley and then try to go up.

If Henry 100% he's a nightmare match up for Aljo, but no idea whats he's gonna be like after so long away.

Can't wait for the cringe

Really

And BW has been fuckin fun lately

He got a lot more control time against DJ than much bigger 135ers like Dom did. DJ is ridiculously hard to pin down. Aljo is very big but a worse grappler than DJ who he managed to shut down on the ground. Style make fights and Aljo's style may match up better

Cruz, like Henry, isn't exactly known for his top game, so getting more top control than him isn't saying much. I just checked, though, and cruz got far more control time than henry did against DJ. Maybe you're remembering something else?

I also don't think dj is a better grappler than Aljo. we'll see how it plays out.

Well what do you know, I suddenly became an Aljo fan.

Cruz, like Henry, isn't exactly known for his top game, so getting more top control than him isn't saying much. I just checked, though, and cruz got far more control time than henry did against DJ. Maybe you're remembering something else?

I also don't think dj is a better grappler than Aljo. we'll see how it plays out.
Crujz got more cage control not top control. The fight was literally just Dj getting back up, landing good strikes and Dom muscling him down again.

DJ is absolutely a better grappler than Aljo and I'll gladly die on that hill. Nothing Aljo has done suggest that he's as much of a problem on the ground as DJ. More career subs despite being a small guy in bigger divisions unlike Aljo. Ties his wrestling together with his striking better. More impressive displays of transitions and subs. Plus sterling struggled a lot grappling Yan who is well rounded but certainly not an extraordinary grappler. DJ even managed to shut down must of Henry's TDs and even land one of his own.

I feel like a lot gets said about Aljo's grappling but it isn't as dominant as people make it out to be. He is a big, long, guy with solid wrestling and bjj. Not too much sub threat but can mix it up well. Good positional control and attacks the back well. He is certainly a better grappler than most of 135 atm but DJ is a very dominant grappler.

Could be a cool fight. While I used to find Cejudo's shenanigans somewhat endearing, the recent developments outside of the cage have soured me on him, so I'll be very firmly in Team Sterling on this if this materializes for real.

Cejudo going to make this look easy.

giphy.gif

He's nowhere near the GOAT discussion, although with 3-4 more big wins he should be in the discussion.

He went 1-1 with DJ, his loss being a devastating first round TKO and his win being a controversial split decision that was a pretty bad point fighting stinker. That can't compare at all to DJ's run at 125lbs, which includes murdering Henry and a 13 fight UFC win streak. Not even on the same planet.

So far as bantamweight goes, he didn't fight Dillashaw at 135lbs, and his two wins are over Moraes and Cruz who were both in a career spiral. Marlon would go 1-5 from his loss to Cejudo. Cruz was coming off a crushing loss to Garbrandt and was just a replacement fight. His next fight was a split decision win over an unranked Kenney, and most recently getting kicked to sleep by Vera.

Henry would have to beat actual top 5 ranked current bantamweights to be in the realm of GOAT. He may have aged out though, hard to say until we see him fight again.
I'm not calling the guy the GOAT, don't misunderstand me, here. GSP is clearly the GOAT. Everybody else, including Cejudo, is an honourable mention.

Name me one other MMA fighter who won titles in two weight classes, defended both titles, and is an olympic medalist (a gold medal, that is).

Funny that you say, on one hand, that the gold medal has no bearing on the topic, and on the other hand, argue that the GOAT discussion requires examination of a fighter's entire body of work...he didn't win a gold medal in figure skating or some totally unrelated, non-fighting discipline or sport...wrestling is a core discipline in MMA. If you want to keep it at the strictly MMA GOAT discussion, sure, we can do that, but again, with two titles in the UFC, both having been successfully defended, without saying that he's THE GOAT, how is he not at least an honourable mention in that discussion?

I thought Aljo was the most hated little guy in the UFC. This thread suggests Henry is actually more disliked than Aljamain. I am a bit surprised by that.

Cejudo is gonna dismantle Aljo.
Hate him all you want, he’s one of the best fighters ever.
In his prime I'd agree, but multiple years sitting on a couch while a BW... has anyone come back from that and looked good at the elite level?

Curious to see what the betting odds will be. If I had to guess Aljo will be a comfortable favorite.

Back