BREAKING: 15 shot at Florida nightclub

Soooooo....anyone wanna talk about the 20 some odd people who are dead or dying or would you rather just sit around and bitch about what mean words we are or aren't allowed to use to describe the murderes?
No muslim is involved man.......doubt the war room has passion for anything but muslim discussion

Flyer for the club

13700064_1759310530982815_4469814917134653345_n.jpg

Please be joking... "any female with no panties gets in free". I wonder how they check for that.

This happened near the Dunbar "brown town" area. Most likely it was gang or ghetto related. This area has shootings almost weekly. Generally though it is a "good" person who was just sitting in a parked car at 3 am or who was standing outside a home.

I looked it up in the UD, then found a Facebook petition trying to gather signatures to have it designated a slur on Facebook, then found some tweet by a black activist explaining the term's origins with his argument for why it's a new slur.

It's solely negative, and appears specfic to blacks, but it doesn't describe all blacks. The pejorative aspect of it is attached to a behavior. I can't think of a better comparison than "cholo", atm, and that is tolerated.

As the term becomes better known, judging from the Google Image search already posted, then it's going to become inextricably associated with racism by rote usage, and the social jury will probably weigh in. I would have guessed it originated on Stormfront, but apparently it was Reddit. Can't say I'm surprised. I'll keep my finger on the social pulse, here, but for now it's simply an example of how ineffective regulation of speech is.

Bill Burr once argued that all you do when you make certain word socially unacceptable is give a road map to racists which terms to avoid. Then the smartest of them, the most restrained, simply avoid those terms. Meanwhile, the less intelligent (and more angry) generate new terms that participate within the system to replicate the pejorative, but without violating the boundaries of what is deemed social acceptable, and to abide by that sanctioned collective ethos.

In other words, in the interest of protecting the freedom of expression until all alternatives are exhausted, I am hesitant to whack this mole at such an early stage.
Isn't the only reason "cholo" is tolerated, b/c Conor said it, so it's fine? even tho Conor is as racist as fuck?

If all of a sudden Robbie Lawler decided to say "Tyron Woodley is a dindu, he didn't do nuffin to earn a titleshot", mod be like, alright?

Race pimps can't make any money off incidents like this.

And the media is now the biggest pimp of all.

I don't have a habit of using it, but I see it no worse then redneck or cracker.

I see no reason to ban those words and agree with madmick's view of it.

As to the OP, gangbangers.

It's only funny and ok to make fun of white trash, not black trash here.

Soooooo....anyone wanna talk about the 20 some odd people who are dead or dying or would you rather just sit around and bitch about what mean words we are or aren't allowed to use to describe the murderes?
Do we have more actual news about the incident and how it happened to discuss? I think that would be helpful towards this end. Right now we're sort of spitting barbershop in a vacuum.

Teen Night...at a nightclub...at 12:30am. Great parenting.

There will be mass shooting coverage every week until November and then it will stop. Funny how cnn has completely avoided mentioning race or religion this time.(no one gives a fuck about backonblack crime). The American media is fucking worthless for anything besides propaganda.
If it weren't for the American media a lot of us wouldn't have heard about this incident.

I know where that place is at. Doubt it's a Muslim responsible in that shit place.

If it weren't for the American media a lot of us wouldn't have heard about this incident.
Shootings routinely happen outside of these clubs in my home city, and you never really hear about them. Now, everybody is scrambling to see anything gun related.

We are on high alert for terrorist shit apparently. Lol

is it not being used as a racial pejorative?
Its like the ching chong version for ghetto black people but ching chong is referred to all asian people and its fully allowed so its only fair i guess .

Of course it's a slur, specifically against black people.
Let me know if you see it applied to white people, but you won't.
Dude some guy constantly refers to me here as sucky fucky . Let me know when you see it applied to a white girl , but you wont .

And its pretty funny because theres probably more promiscuous white girls than asian girls . n.n

No, for the simple reason that it isn't being used to describe the whole race. In fact, the only linguistic relationship to race inherent to the term on an etymological (i.e. constructional) relationship is to its foundation in urban slang (i.e. Ebonics). I'm going to venture a guess that right now it's strongest connection to a pejorative racial value is derived from the people who use it, and how they use it.

Cable's racist as fuck, we all know that, but he's playing inside the lines. A comparable established term that comes to mind is "cholo".
Ive used dindu before purely in exchange for its true form didnt do . Never used it in replace of thug . Dindu sounds very funny . Like when people use w for r when mocking the way asians talk . I didnt know it was in replace of thug or really offensive .

Back