1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Breakfalls

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ohyeah290, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ohyeah290

ohyeah290 Blue Belt

Pretty straightforward question but with my breakfalls when I hit the mat I still feel like I'm HITTING the mat. I haven't been doing Judo too long so maybe it's just that my technique is wrong. Is that the problem or is it something you just need to man up and accept? I understand that breakfalls are more to protect you and not make it comfortable but I don't really have too much to compare it to so how is a normal breakfall supposed to be?

2. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

yeah they still hurt anyway even if you do proper breakfalls, you just don't get injured

3. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

posting to get to my sig

4. YeahBee

dammit I thought I had saved a link to a previous breakfalls thread, hold on I 'll do a search

5. YeahBee

start small from the knees, sometimes I make the kids grab their belt with the other hand otherwise they are tempted to use the other arm and thus making the breakfall too straight over the back, firstly you should have your side breakfalls and back breakfalls then move on to the forward one,

Most often I have them take a step forward, left foot forward, roll over left shoulder, slightly curved arms infront of them fingers pointing at each other and than just lean forward until you roll. the hand/arm which you are rolling over should be positioned in the middle of your feet

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/judo-breakfall-question-1007553/

6. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

they should not hurt.

they can be hard to learn, but keep it up!

7. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Someone told me to really slap the mad loud, I think I stopped trying to anticipate the fall and thought more about slapping the mat... seemed to help me, but might make no sense. Now its just second nature.

8. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

Sometimes it still hurts, that's just how it is. Proper breakfalling minimizes damage and pain, it doesn't completely negate any pain that might arise from your body hitting a surface.

9. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

Well it really depends. Are you being thrown or are you just practicing breakfalls? Sometimes you are thrown in a way that makes it impossible to not feel the fall. There really isnt much you can do about that. But if you are just standing up and practicing your falls, youre doing it wrong if it hurts to fall.

10. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

I do not know about judo, or how thick the mats are so this may not help. However in wrestling I would not try to break my fall, I would use the time I was in the air to setup a reversal or an escape. The only time I would use a breakfall is when I'm using the arm that I am posting to hit a switch. That being said, wrestling mats are also roughly 2 inches thick with really good padding.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  11. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

My instructor got hit by a car while riding a bicycle last friday. He managed to break the fall and only got scrapes. Of course, it wasn't a particularly bad accident, but he could as well have busted his face and broken his limbs if he didn't fall right. He managed to attend the training session this morning, although pretty banged up.

12. Carrera26

Carrera26 Orange Belt

It does depend on your mats a bit. I always prefer the much stiffer Judo-type mats to the spongy wrestling mats because they are much easier to do a good Ukemi on and really spread out the impact. The soft mats, counter-intuitively, deform a lot more at the primary point of impact the concentrate the impact there.

If you do a breakfall right, you should be able to take an several hard throws in a row without much discomfort at all. The big points are to relax and make sure you hit that hand/arm on the mat both as hard as possible and as much in sync with the rest of the fall as possible.

13. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

wow damn... nice to see it work outside of training

14. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Luckily it was only one car though. In some places, after he successfully breakfalled on the ground, all of the car's other car buddies would gang up and run him over while he was distracted by the first car.

In those situations, you need deadly self defense techniques that train against multiple cars.

15. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

lmao

16. YeahBee

of course dude, when sparring and competing you try to land so to not give points

but you gotta learn how to fall before you can succesfully not fall

you breakfall when you are practicing

not as much of an issue in wrestling due to the nogi aspect of it, you aren't thrown in the same way more taken down, in judo you are often thrown away/down/up8/sideways with the grip being released or only connected with one hand or perhaps two, in wrestling you are more stuck together and it is more of a rolling motion

17. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

I guess this makes sense, I do see a lot more open throws in judo. In wrestling you have to fall with your opponent. I am assuming that there are still situatuions in which it would still be more valuable to be able to adjust and fight for position in air, than to breakfall. They may be much fewer in judo, but I have still seen situations. I guess it would take a lot of practice to differentiate between the two.

18. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

I don't know. When i did Judo, they hurt a little but then when I took Aikido, someone showed me in great detail how to fall several different ways to do it. I think it's just more of a matter of who shows you. Also sometimes it depends on how your being thrown. There are some ways I defiantly have a preference over then others.

19. YeahBee

yeah and most oftne it is not the highest amplitude throws that sucks the most but rather basic osotogari and taootoshi

hip throws and whatnot you most often just get thrown up and kinda fall by your own accord, but osoto and taootoshi the fvckers accelerate you and you are whipped down

20. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

I like getting thrown. Call me crazy. And something that a training partner told me when I started Judo is "If it hurts/you're getting injured, you're doing it wrong."

Breakfalls are all about protecting your head, shoulders, knees, elbows, wrists and ankles. If you're falling right when you're thrown, you should land so that none of those are at risk with body position. You'll feel impact, but it shouldn't really hurt.