break down your personal striking style

Heavy hands, close range striker.
Hands are usually somewhat high and I tend to keep my left near my chin and a palm down more than some people. Have trouble keeping the elbows tucked when putting together combos.

I like the lead left uppercut coming off of a few good right hooks. Also, love to clench with the left and body-head-body hooks with the right followed by a high right elbow when I break. Sometimes leads into a good opportunity for a spinning back kick - especially when it doesn't land or glances off them. If it connects solid I usually clench right back up.

I know this is about striking but I love the right side hip toss straight into (almost falling into) knee on belly. If I land it right I basically get a free knee to their gut as we land.

as i got older i counter. I cant stand and bang as long and as fast as when i was younger.

1. wait for the attack, catch or block punches or check, move or catch kicks and then counter back. Because im short i need to stay out of their range so i let them come to me.

2. flashy kicks... lol every coach hates when i do my tkd kicks in fights lol

3. when we get close i use my strength and wrestling to handle guys on the inside.

im short and stocky like sean sherk. you can guess what my strategies in fights are.

My style is dawdling. My defense is horrible, and I'm just layed back.

regardless of what you take or how many arts you take, every individual has a certain philosophy regarding striking, some of it is based on the styles you have trained in, some of it is based on mentality, some of it is based on physical ability or lack thereof or mental capacity or lack thereof.

so why not share-

1)what your personal style is
defensive/mobile/distance guy

2)how did you come to this style
lacking alot of natural phys talent/durability; it allowed me to manage the advantages others had, i.e. movement helped deal w/power and strength, distance allowed me to deal w/speed and explosiveness and being def allowed me a better shot at dealing w/tech (movement/distance helped w/it as well)Most guys, even skilled guys have trouble w/movement; esp when your fighting off your back foot or circling away or increasing maintaining range.

3)how did the diff styles of striking (mt tkd shotokan kyokushin boxing etc) influence this style or support it; did you pick diff arts based on their fit w/your style.
I've done mostly boxing-trained w/alot of karate types and currently do mt; boxing the jab, lead right , bodyshots and movement (head/upperbody/footwork),
karate (mult) the distancing, using the stance switch to create angles instead of traditional footwork, potshots/leadshots and parries,
mt-clinch and kicks.
The boxing helped cus of the overall movement makes it harder for people to draw a bead on me when at range and allowed me to slip spin out when they closed to mid range, the jab and lead right are good distance shots; the bodyshots dissuade people from coming in too hard. The karate was good for an unorthodox manner of movement and creating angles, plus the parries. The muay thai helped extend my range w/kicks instead of just using punches and helped dev a clinch game so when guys try to run me over i can tie them up, meaning i can neutralize them some or make them hesitate on coming in and i began to work on legitimately blocking and countering kicks, not just parrying and getting away..

4)what are the abilities or lack of abilities that allow you to do this style or maybe force you to use this style
Don't hit really hard, not particularly durable, nor fast , explosive or strong; not tech disciplined, so being def-moving alot and using range helps cover that up or lessen the damage done or opp available to an opp.

5)what are the pluses of this approach and what could someone who doesn't use this approach add to their arsenal to round them out or what do they need to know about your approach to make theirs more eff.
Pluses it enables you to handle vastly superior opp tech and physically w/out having to lean on your toughness or offense; makes them have to think and work a bit harder cus you don't make yourself available for contact, most guys still have a prob w/a guy who is using movement to set up shots or shots to setup movement. Being more def aware is a benefit for anyone regardless of how tough, off skilled or phys gifted you are.

6)which styles do you have the most success w/which styles cause you the most issues w/
Pressure guys give me the most trouble, i have most success against pure counter guys; i don't give them anything to counter and force them to lead.

7)what have you done to fill the holes in your approach
MUAY THAI-helps extend my range, work on me standing in and firing back and having a clinch game so the opp can't just run me over.

thanks in advance-

this isn't to give away any trade secrets; but to get people in the forum to get a better sense of the diff approaches or the diff combinations of approaches to broaden their understanding of it and as a way to find out things that they can add to their game.

I like to fight guys who keep their hands by their wastes, throw wide, weak, looping hooks, blink nervously before they throw anything, have poor balance, suffer from asthma and are doing nothing to treat it, have gained their entire knowledge of martial arts from watching Claude Van Damme movies, and have 'glass' and 'jaw' in their respected nicknames.

My style is basically pure boxing, with a few concepts from some Asian TMA's thrown in (eg: the snap of the wrist while throwing straight punches). Usually, in the early rounds, my hands are high, I'm bent forward, and I rely heavily on hooks and uppercuts mainly because my reach isn't all that great. Basically, I get on the inside, and start ripping away, the moment they get sloppy, I open up on the head. Guys with a lot of power can give me some problems, however, since I'm pretty light, I usually don't have to deal with sluggers, plus, in my weight class, I'm actually considered a power puncher.

3)how did the diff styles of striking (mt tkd shotokan kyokushin boxing etc) influence this style or support it; did you pick diff arts based on their fit w/your style.
4)what are the abilities or lack of abilities that allow you to do this style or maybe force you to use this style
5)what are the pluses of this approach and what could someone who doesn't use this approach add to their arsenal to round them out or what do they need to know about your approach to make theirs more eff
6)which styles do you have the most success w/which styles cause you the most issues w/

1) Muay Thai and Koei-kan karate. I like to play the range game to soften someone up a bit, use lots of lateral movement and in-and out with leg/body kicks and punches to the head/body. I'm pretty hyper on the outside. Inside I like to pick my shots and move or stay and throw several oddly timed power shots to different targets.

2) Took up Koei-Kan (full contact karate) at a younger age, joined a MMA gym with Muay-thai when I was 18. (27 now)

3) Koei-kan really toughend me up mentally, probably even moreso than MMA. It's was really oldschool and strict, and your body just took a beating physically as well. Also really taught me how to put a lot of power in my shots, albiet at the risk of leaving myself a bit more open. Muay thai refined my kicking (especially leg kicks), clinch work, and taught me attack more in combos as opposed to feinting for a big power shot. I like to think I put the two concepts together pretty nicely.

4) Well I guess I'm a bit shorter than some guys my weight (5'9" at 170) because it always seems like the other guy has a reach advantage. I have no problems picking away with leg kicks though, I can usually put enough power into them to make someone cautious about powering through them for a hook or clinch. I like to use a lot of lateral movement and change levels with my hands and legs alot as well, this seems to make others uncomfortable about coming in guns blazing.

5) I think the big thing is just putting power into their kicks. Too many people, even seasoned guys, just don't turn their hips into their kicks. Their leg kicks wind up being like a weak jab that someone could power through if they wanted. Also not getting into a set rhythm and using feints/footwork.

6) I've had the most success against boxers that don't try to push the pace and traditional kick-boxers. Most issues I have is with a really aggressive boxer who is good at reading people and keeping me in his reach, especially if he has a bigger reach. That usually sucks for me.

7) I've done a lot of defensive work with several boxers and got used to seeing things through their eyes. Really helped.

Last edited:
regardless of what you take or how many arts you take, every individual has a certain philosophy regarding striking, some of it is based on the styles you have trained in, some of it is based on mentality, some of it is based on physical ability or lack thereof or mental capacity or lack thereof.

so why not share-

defensive/mobile/distance guy[/COLOR]

lacking alot of natural phys talent/durability; it allowed me to manage the advantages others had, i.e. movement helped deal w/power and strength, distance allowed me to deal w/speed and explosiveness and being def allowed me a better shot at dealing w/tech (movement/distance helped w/it as well)Most guys, even skilled guys have trouble w/movement; esp when your fighting off your back foot or circling away or increasing maintaining range.[/COLOR]

I've done mostly boxing-trained w/alot of karate types and currently do mt; boxing the jab, lead right , bodyshots and movement (head/upperbody/footwork),
karate (mult) the distancing, using the stance switch to create angles instead of traditional footwork, potshots/leadshots and parries,
mt-clinch and kicks.
The boxing helped cus of the overall movement makes it harder for people to draw a bead on me when at range and allowed me to slip spin out when they closed to mid range, the jab and lead right are good distance shots; the bodyshots dissuade people from coming in too hard. The karate was good for an unorthodox manner of movement and creating angles, plus the parries. The muay thai helped extend my range w/kicks instead of just using punches and helped dev a clinch game so when guys try to run me over i can tie them up, meaning i can neutralize them some or make them hesitate on coming in and i began to work on legitimately blocking and countering kicks, not just parrying and getting away.. [/COLOR]
Don't hit really hard, not particularly durable, nor fast , explosive or strong; not tech disciplined, so being def-moving alot and using range helps cover that up or lessen the damage done or opp available to an opp.[/COLOR]

5)what are the pluses of this approach and what could someone who doesn't use this approach add to their arsenal to round them out or what do they need to know about your approach to make theirs more eff.
Pluses it enables you to handle vastly superior opp tech and physically w/out having to lean on your toughness or offense; makes them have to think and work a bit harder cus you don't make yourself available for contact, most guys still have a prob w/a guy who is using movement to set up shots or shots to setup movement. Being more def aware is a benefit for anyone regardless of how tough, off skilled or phys gifted you are.[/COLOR]

Pressure guys give me the most trouble, i have most success against pure counter guys; i don't give them anything to counter and force them to lead.[/COLOR]

MUAY THAI-helps extend my range, work on me standing in and firing back and having a clinch game so the opp can't just run me over.[/COLOR]

thanks in advance-

this isn't to give away any trade secrets; but to get people in the forum to get a better sense of the diff approaches or the diff combinations of approaches to broaden their understanding of it and as a way to find out things that they can add to their game.

just trying to fix it.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing oneself is enlightenment. :icon_chee

My philosophy regarding striking is to incapacitate the opponent as quickly as possible. That said, its been ingrained in my from day one that learning a martial art is for defense of yourself, your family, your home, or your country. Living the way of a martial artist (the self was not to be separated from the activity) meant that one was to exude an understanding of humility, respect, honor, loyalty, dedication, preserverance , and the like.

So in short, because it was meant primarily as a self defense, a majority of my early training was done as counter-striking.

1)what your personal system / style is:
The systems that I primarily pull from are Muay Thai, Boxing, Wing Chun, and Gung Fu. As far as my style of striking, I'm primarily a counter-striker, stalker, and pressure fighter.
2)how did you come to this style:
Well outside of the thought process with the whole self-defense bit, I was undersized for a majority of my life relative to my peers, so the counter-attacking style worked well in either case. The stalking is to bait them into hitting me and the pressure fighting is to keep them from establishing any control.
3)how did the different systems of striking (mt tkd shotokan kyokushin boxing etc) influence this style or support it; did you pick different arts based on their fit w/your style.
All the systems I train influence what I do, either by reinforcing what I'm doing, or showing a flaw. Generally, I choose the art based on what skill I want to improve. Style is just a personal expression of the said system.
My natural attributes lend themselves well to fighting activities in general. Especially with kicking. Mentally I am able to see, understand, conceptualize, and assimilate things very quickly, which also helps with learning martial arts in general.
5)what are the pluses of this approach and what could someone who doesn't use this approach add to their arsenal to round them out or what do they need to know about your approach to make theirs more effective
Well, this was sort of answered already, but the plus side is that it frustrates the opponent because everytime they go to hit you, they in turn get hit.
I don't have issues with styles, but with opponents
Holes?! What holes?! Seriously, if I find I'm deficient in a particular skill or area of fighting, I just make sure to focus on it for a while until I get to a level where I am at least average/above average

Last edited:
1)what your personal style is?

A: I have perforce changed over the last 3 decades. As I've gotten older and more muscular, I have gone from a "light on the feet, stick&move" fighter. To a more deliberate power striker, that if need be, will dig in and bang.

2)how did you come to this style?

A: As stated above, age and extra mass were the primary factors.

A: In 1980, there were not many choices in my area, boxing, kick boxing, Okinawan and Japanese Karate, gung fu, and TKD, were the options for stand up. Oki Karate and kickboxing were the systems I trained in initially. I have also been training Japanese Karate (Shotokan) almost as long. I have had the good fortune this year, to start learning some MT as well.

And, I have not really picked to fit a style , but rather because I decided to be a life long student of Martial Arts, I just want to keep learning new things. They all influence me of course, and I am just starting to entertain working some of the MT elements in (need to make more classes)

4)what are the abilities or lack of abilities that allow you to do this style or maybe force you to use this style?

A: Again, age and added mass. I just cannot be the fighter I was when younger and lighter. As with everything, it has been a trade off, and some pros and cons are inevitable.

5)what are the pluses of this approach and what could someone who doesn't use this approach add to their arsenal to round them out or what do they need to know about your approach to make theirs more eff?

A: Tough question: Generally speaking, I'd say that while you may not be light on your feet and dance around, you still need to have effective footwork. It is about the conservation of energy, and eliminating all unnecessary/wasted movement. Yet still working angles and being able to avoid the punishment that immobility brings.

6)which styles do you have the most success w/which styles cause you the most issues w/"

A: I have had few opportunities to spar MT or boxers with a rule set that allows me to adequately answer the question as pertains to those styles. But leg kicks are a rule I have seldom worked with, so checking is something of a new wrinkle. Various systems of Karate, kickboxing, TKD, Gung Fu, I have had a good amount of success against, in competition and sparring.

Hopefully, I do not come off as as big of a douche as I feel like, typing that response.

7)what have you done to fill the holes in your approach?

A: I have holes I feel like you could drive a truck through. But, I keep exposing myself to new stuff, so hopefully they keep shrinking.

I enjoy throwing a cartwheel kick once in a blue moon.

- Stance close to orthodox kickboxing.

- Very aggressive. Will attack right off or use counter punching to attack.

- Very good in/around clinch with "dirty" boxing.

- So-so Thai Boxing skills.

- Decent defense but really goes downhill as I tire.

- Average chin I think.

- Great speed/ epic reflexes.

- Good head movement.

- Mediocre footwork.

- Good jab orthodox and southpaw. KO power in left hook, decent in left uppercut, KO right hook, decent in straight right, lame in straight left, and bigtime KO power in right uppercut. (In my weight class.)

- Good low kick, good body kicks, no head kick anymore.

- Bad cardio.

- My babysoft skin beautiful tears too easily. That and my bad cardio = never pursued kickboxing besides a couple o armature scraps.

I did WTF TKD (black belt) and shotokan (purple) before joining a traditional MT gym, despite having a lot of Thai stylists at the gym there were also a few boxer types, I took after them and developed good boxing and low kicks. I have a solid defence with good head movement and parrying skills. I constantly mix it up and change levels and target the head, body and legs and try to wear my opponent down.

Even when I did TKD and Shotokan I still preferred throwing punches and it translated to MT where I learnt boxing style punches and found that they were a perfect vehicle for me to get in range to land my heavy low kicks. I also found that I'm blessed with fast reflexes so head movement came naturally.

The only things I really took from TKD and karate was the sense of distance, balance, flexibility and an affinity for the cross to the solar plexus. MT gave me everything else including my hands.

Very fast reflexes and hand speed with good pop, hard and fast kicks. I dont have the greatest chin in the world my defence and methodical approach came from that.

5)what are the pluses of this approach and what could someone who doesn't use this approach add to their arsenal to round them out or what do they need to know about your approach to make theirs more eff
Making your opponent miss and pay is one of the most discouraging things for a fighter, getting ripped to your body and legs is another.

Heavy handed pressure fighters. Counter fighters are the easiest because I'm usually the faster guy.

Sparring, lots and lots of sparring

Last edited:
1.)Muay Thai w. some boxing
2.) Fan of all styles but MT spoke to me the most
3.)I like boxing style hooks which i throw a bit wide
4.) Great in clinch and fairly powerful kicks

1) started in karate, moved to a little jkd, moved to muay thai, i am now dutch muay thai
2)i watched k-1 and pride, i loved what i was seeing and wanted to emulate it
3)karate made me quick on the step and faster than i would have been without it. i like dutch muay thai though because i can still be quick with lots of combos but retain power and explosiveness
4) skip
5)lots of people could add more streching to DMT but other than that i have no idea
6) i have the most success with taller slower fighters because i can compromise with my speed, i also have gained A LOT of knowledge about boxing through DMT
7) keep training and dont stop until i feel im as good as a k-1 fighter, wich will never happen anytime soon

im very small height wise, im only 5'5 so i like to move a lot and i love leg kicks/combos. i am also very flexible and i love headkicks.

Back