break down your personal striking style

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by devante, Sep 28, 2010.

1. devante

devante Silver Belt

regardless of what you take or how many arts you take, every individual has a certain philosophy regarding striking, some of it is based on the styles you have trained in, some of it is based on mentality, some of it is based on physical ability or lack thereof or mental capacity or lack thereof.

so why not share-
    1)what your personal style is
    2)how did you come to this style
    3)how did the diff styles of striking (mt tkd shotokan kyokushin boxing etc) influence this style or support it; did you pick diff arts based on their fit w/your style.
    4)what are the abilities or lack of abilities that allow you to do this style or maybe force you to use this style
    5)what are the pluses of this approach and what could someone who doesn't use this approach add to their arsenal to round them out or what do they need to know about your approach to make theirs more eff
    6)which styles do you have the most success w/which styles cause you the most issues w/
    7)what have you done to fill the holes in your approach

thanks in advance-

this isn't to give away any trade secrets; but to get people in the forum to get a better sense of the diff approaches or the diff combinations of approaches to broaden their understanding of it and as a way to find out things that they can add to their game.

2. JT4533**

JT4533** Blue Belt

Rashad Evans style .

3. CYBORG MONDO

CYBORG MONDO Blue Belt

Doggystyle

4. CYBORG MONDO

CYBORG MONDO Blue Belt

Lol but seriously? I have only taken like one boxing class

5. mikecello

mikecello ...in bed belt

I stick my chin out and my left hand drops from my chin. That's mostly all I pay attention too when I drill.

6. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

- Good chin
    - Good kicks
    - Good cardio
    - Medium defense
    - Medium clinch
    - sloppy hands
    - strange foot work

I am a poor man's Thiago Alves

7. Mehmedagic

Mehmedagic Purple Belt

1)Kyokushin Karate
    2)I started out with Wado Ryu karate at 8 yrs old, then switched to kyokushin at the age of 13
    im flexible, and I kick fast.
    5)less telegraphed kicks and knees. A lot of diffrent kicking techniques most ppl arent aware of.
    6)karate and karate.

8. mikecello

mikecello ...in bed belt

I come from a grappling background so I like moving close, lots of clinching, throwing my weight around, that sort of thing. Inside punching, leg kicks, and when I'm not being stupid with my chin and hands (as stated above), I have a pretty decent cover.

9. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

My style is primarily boxing with a kick or knee at the end of my combination.

It's a bit predictable but very effective nonetheless. Starting with a jab always opens up the rest of my combination beautifully, I'm sure this will change when I start sparring more experienced guys but for right now it's nice. :icon_chee

10. blizzarddj

blizzarddj White Belt

1)tkd black belt, now 1+ year muay thai
    2)bored of tkd
    3)tkd was an excellent base for me learning muay thai. i now use mostly thai style kicks but sometimes use the tkd snap for speed
    4)very flexible from tkd
    5)confused
    6)i have the most success with my punch/kick combos. before learnin thai i had no previous hand striking experience. this combined with my kicks (main strength i guess) works well for me
    7)work on what i know but also not be afraid to try new things

11. Jaxx

Jaxx Green Belt

Boxing is my main striking style. I feel it fits into a grapplers game more (im a Sambo / Combat Sambo guy) than kicking arts. Love the footwork and head movement, 'make them miss, make them pay' mentality.

I dont ignore kicks etc. I attempt fuse elements of Muay Thai, Karate styles and Savate into that side of the game but Boxing is 80% of what i do.

12. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

-My hands are my most reliable weapons. Quick jab/left hook.
    -My kicks are secondary, quick counter left kick mid/low. Reliable spinning back kick.
    -Mobile on my feet but I am susceptible to leg kicks.
    -The clinch is my weak spot. I often struggle to control, but I still land knees. I also can't throw or take down from the clinch very well.

6'0. 178.

13. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Well, I'm developing multiple skill sets so that I can switch as needed. But here's what I do. If I feel like being more of a outside fighter at the moment, I use mainly straight punches and leg kicks. I'm gonna' start incorporating body kicks eventually. If someone gets to close to me in this mode, I tie them up, pull their head down, and basically beat them up. If I feel like being more of a puncher that day, I'll come in, block whatever comes, and throw bombs to the body then work my wayup. I wanna' start using head movement, but I'm practically going in blind, though, so it's toughfor me tosee anything coming and bythe time I do, I've already blocked it.

14. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Right hand below right eye, left hand squared and parallel to my jaw.
    Left foot foward, very light.
    Right foot back, slightly bent.

Boxing/Karate background with some MT technique here and there.

Quick right high kick, powerful front kicks, hard jab, quick right hook, decent lead left uppercut.

15. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    until you fight a decent counter striker who will slip that jab perfect and put you on your ass with a right hook.

It's humbling, im speaking from experience.

16. equus

equus Horse Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

sloth-ish

17. Corey Kuropas

Corey Kuropas Banned Banned

1) I'm a Muay Thai fighter, but before Muay Thai I had a Kung Fu background.

2) I needed a striking style more effective then Kung Fu, so I started to train in Muay Thai.

3) I like to throw alot of hands, kicks, and knees.

4) Because of my Kung Fu background, I will throw flashier stuff like axe kicks, spinning back kicks, spinning hook kicks and spinning backfists.

18. Slammed

Slammed White Belt

My punches are accurate and fast & I have good combos, I kick just as much as I punch. I have almost zero controll in MT clinch but I still land knees, my punch defense is ok, alot of shots hit my gloves, but my kick defense isnt that good.

I use a few different styles effectivley, but my overall game is still kind of sloppy. I fight better then I'm aggressive and push forward but I naturally back-up, so I'm still working on that.

Ive got a strange style and I attribute that to training with alot of different coaches in a short time right after I started, so I got a look at a bunch of different games instead of getting good at one. In 9 months of striking Ive trained with 4 different coaches who were/are all fighters.

Full-Contact Kickboxing(waist up)
    American Style kickboxing
    Traditional Muay Thai
    Boxing

Ive been working on the basics more lately.

19. TwoFour Lowkick

TwoFour Lowkick Orange Belt

1) Volume puncher with heavy legs. Lots of combinations. I like to attack at different levels (i.e Jab to head, R Hook to body, L Uppercut, R lowkick, teep, R head kick is one of my faves). Boxing style footwork. Kind of Dutch style muay thai I guess
    2) My "natural gifts". I have above avg hand speed for my size (but not much power) and very heavy low licks. So I throw punches in a flurry and punctuate with the big low kick or body kick.
    3) Started in muay thai. BJJ helped my clinch game and traditional boxing has added to my punch and defense techniques.
    4) See#1
    5) Plusses include constant pressure. Speed and endurance are needed top be effective.
    6) Most success against brawlers (punish them with low kicks and knees) and passive fighters (overwhelm with punches, punctuate with the big kick). Worst luck against rangy counter fighters.
    7) Training all aspects of the striking game (i.e. clinch, boxing, and general muay thai) separately with guys who are expert at it (when I do train I work with a guy who is a clinch monster, I go to a boxing gym to work my hands and train with my main trainer to put it all together)

20. MoroccanFan

MoroccanFan Blue Belt

Countering alot, alot of new guys try to rush inside I either sweep their leg or counter their jabs with a hook

I am a distance fighter calculate my range and then capitalize on the opponents mistakes, using head movement to make them whiff

im 5'7 130-135 lbs