Brazilian MMA going the way of Japanese MMA?

j18lee

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
With Renan Barao's recent loss to TJ Dillashaw, there's only one non-US (Brazilian) Champion left - Jose Aldo.

Heavyweight * Cain Velasquez
Light Heavyweight *Jon Jones
Middleweight * Chris Weidman
Welterweight * Johny Hendricks
Lightweight * Anthony Pettis
Featherweight * Jose Aldo (only Brazilian)
Bantamweight * T.J. Dillashaw
Flyweight * Demetrious Johnson

W Bantamweight Ronda Rousey

Just one champion before the current ones, Brazilian MMA had JDS as champ at Heavyweight, Shogun Rua at LHW, Anderson Silva at MW and Renan Barao. That was 5 out of 8 champs being Brazilian!

At the contender level besides former champs JDS and Renan Barao, the only Brazilian top contenders are Fabricio Werdum, Lyoto Machida, Jacare Souza, Raphael Assuncao and Vitor Belfort. That's pretty much it in all 8 divisions! (or 9 if you count WBW)

Is the fact that MMA has gotten so popular in the US that we won't be seeing many Brazilian champions in the future? Seems like Brazilian MMA is going the way of Japanese MMA - no longer competitive with the US.

Eddie Wineland wants to talk to you.

I think its because of training camps, US got great camps.

Don't speak too soon, Machida and Gus both have really good shots at becoming champs in the near future. Werdum is always dangerous as well.

I think it's because Brazil has a smaller population and it's inhabitants have less money. Not everyone can afford to train BJJ. It's probably easier for kids to get into wrestling in the US than it is for kids in Brazil to start training BJJ.

USA has 300 million people. Brazil about 190.

Oh ...

And there are top Brazilian contenders in the UFC right now.

So this OP is kind of invalid.

Just because theres no Brazilian champs at the moment Brazilian MMA is dying
Was US MMA dying when most champs were Brazilian?
Everyday the Chicken Littles on this site find somethng new to overreact to

No longer competitive? Pretty sure there's a Brazilian in the top 10 of every weight class.

Since the UFC has gained a monopoly of elite MMA competition, the rules have favored wrestling pretty heavily. The US tends to be a powerhouse in wrestling. I'd expect to see US MMA fighters to do pretty well as a result.

I think it's because Brazil has a smaller population and it's inhabitants have less money. Not everyone can afford to train BJJ. It's probably easier for kids to get into wrestling in the US than it is for kids in Brazil to start training BJJ.

Oh ...

um, what??

Pan Am and BJJ Worlds championship are dominated by the Brazilians even though both events take place in California.

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that wrestling is much better for MMA than BJJ.

I'm pretty sure you are speaking out of your ass this time.

Outside if a couple guys, was Japan ever that dominant in MMA? Even during the pride days, it was heavy with Brazil guys

um, what??

Pan Am and BJJ Worlds championship are dominated by the Brazilians even though both events take place in California.

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that wrestling is much better for MMA than BJJ.

I'm pretty sure you are speaking out of your ass this time.

Cool, wrestling is dominated by Americans.

Just because theres no Brazilian champs at the moment Brazilian MMA is dying
Was US MMA dying when most champs were Brazilian?
Everyday the Chicken Littles on this site find somethng new to overreact to

This.

There are tons of Brazilian fighters who are TOP 10 and higher.

I doubt we will ever be ahead of the US, but I don't think we will fall as badly as Japan did either.

Even during JMMA's heydey, Brazilian MMA was still vastly superior to all but the Americans.

arona-saku.jpg

Sorry, but Brazil is far too violent of a country for MMA not to be huge over there. Even if it dies in the mainstream(which I seriously doubt), the country will always produce talent.

I think it's because Brazil has a smaller population and it's inhabitants have less money.

Funny, because I saw a thread on Sherdog arguing the exact opposite a year or two ago: That guy's argument was that Americans have more money, therefore they are more comfortable, have greater opportunity, and are "soft" as a result. Americans, according to him, lack the toughness of Brazilians who develop the strength to become the best fighters out of desperation and need to survive. He said Brazilians were destined to dominate the sport and Americans were doomed to be left in the dust.

The arguments have flown both ways.

Now to be clear, I personally don't agree with EITHER of these viewpoints. I think there's plenty of room for top fighters to develop out of both countries, and both countries have their rich and their poor. Both countries have large enough populations and active enough MMA communities to produce top fighters. We have seen top fighters who have emerged from many different life circumstances and nationalities. You also see it not just in MMA but other sports as well.

No it is very cyclical. Just like how the Americans are learning and grasping BJJ earlier than before, the next generation of Brazilians will be training wrestling earlier into their career.

Funny, because I saw a thread on Sherdog arguing the exact opposite a year or two ago: That guy's argument was that Americans have more money, therefore they are more comfortable, have greater opportunity, and are "soft" as a result. Americans, according to him, lack the toughness of Brazilians who develop the strength to become the best fighters out of desperation and need to survive. He said Brazilians were destined to dominate the sport and Americans were doomed to be left in the dust.

yeah, i remember that post. it came from a Brazilian nonetheless

With Renan Barao's recent loss to TJ Dillashaw, there's only one non-US (Brazilian) Champion left - Jose Aldo.
Good for TJ but Brazil is still doing pretty well at 135.

eduardo-dantas-cinturao-480-reproducao-sherdog.jpg

marlon-moraes.jpg

manaus-amazonas-amazonia-Bibiano-Fernandes-fala-aposentadoria-MMA-entevista-lutas_ACRIMA20140510_0005_15.gif

pedro_munhoz.jpg

Last edited:

Oh ...

Interesting points here..

Back