"Brazilian jiu jitsu safer than any other martial art"....really?

This kid disagrees.

It's a bit graphic so...
[YT]ZAttGpfDeWA[/YT]

This one is a bit worse IMO, it's a old video footage of a BJJ match where a guy does a WWE'esque freaking boston crab submission in his opponent.

[YT]gdmduD2cNBI[/YT]

Last edited:
I disagree completely.

MAYBE if you really really really fucking trust your training partners and tap early and have no ego and nobody you train with has an ego or anything to prove and there are no meatheads there AND you have pretty solid luck and don't have any freak accidents....

But IF something goes wrong... you might be having MAJOR SURGERY... I don't know if that is exactly what I would call an uber safe sport. Honestly I think training TKD is probably safer, I guess if you only consider head trauma and don't count major joint injuries you could come to that conclusion...

bottom line, combat sports all carry some degree of risk. Personally I think it is more a matter of the risks being different rather than safer. Just my $0.02

Karate is the safest. In 90% of them all you do is punch/kick air. When you do contact is it with heavy pads, and light contact.

I did BJJ for 2 years. Broke my hand once and my ribs once. After 2 years my finger were so sore I could barely type. I don't to quit, since I work on a computer for a living. Grapping on to a GI is really hard on the joints in your fingers. In BJJ you still do takedowns.

Most BJJ injuries happen when some jackass is showing off. What is bad is the jackass is rarely the one hurt and there is a lot of jackasses.

BJJ is relatively safe to train, but not sure I'd say it's the safest. You get some big, young white belt in your gym with a hair up his ass and things can get sketchy.

This, you get some guy who had a bad day and is sick of getting tapped by the higher belts, he decides he's really going to wrench this kimura, and you're booking surgery next month. Same goes for judo, sometimes getting bruises on your legs and face doesn't seem so bad compared to grappling injuries.

What is your definition of safe?

I find grappling is far more demanding on joints, and caused far more soft tissue injuries for me.
Maybe I was just unlucky or started BJJ kind of late (in my mid 20s), some people seem to be able to grapple 5-6 days a week for years on end with very little injuries, but I think they are uncommon.

I had to stop doing BJJ as my knees got tendonitis so bad that it takes me 3-5 days for the swelling to go down after a BJJ class.

Over the years I accumulated so many little injuries and sprains that needed a week or so to recover, neck, back, shoulders, tore my intercostal muscle in my rib (most painful), elbows.

I only box now and rarely get injured from that, never been injured in boxing where I needed to take time off.

I heard Bellator's a pretty safe martial art. As opposed to UFC. Anyone with some insight?

What is your definition of safe?

I find grappling is far more demanding on joints, and caused far more soft tissue injuries for me.
Maybe I was just unlucky or started BJJ kind of late (in my mid 20s), some people seem to be able to grapple 5-6 days a week for years on end with very little injuries, but I think they are uncommon.

I had to stop doing BJJ as my knees got tendonitis so bad that it takes me 3-5 days for the swelling to go down after a BJJ class.

Over the years I accumulated so many little injuries and sprains that needed a week or so to recover, neck, back, shoulders, tore my intercostal muscle in my rib (most painful), elbows.

I only box now and rarely get injured from that, never been injured in boxing where I needed to take time off.

25 is young. I was in my mid 30s. I'm in my late 30s now. I might start up boxing. I always wanted to do boxing.

Back