"Brazilian jiu jitsu safer than any other martial art"....really?

I guessing Yellow Bamboo is still far less dangerous

Edit: Why is this in the TUF forum?

safer than Tai - Chi?

accidents happen in all sports or martial arts

BJJ is relatively safe to train, but not sure I'd say it's the safest. You get some big, young white belt in your gym with a hair up his ass and things can get sketchy.

It's definately a safer martial art due to it's emphasis on relaxing and utilising technique over strength. As people get competitive, try to show off or let their egos go.. thats when it's a problem.
Sparring is very effective for real fights but if you limit it during training, you're much less likely to get injured.

I was training at a weightlifting gym and so many of the guys ended up getting injured from overdoing it.
They were used to the FORCE = gains that weightlifting taught them.

You just pick a sub-forum at random to post this in?

Anyway, BJJ is safer than most full contact martial arts/combat sports, more dangerous than the LARP'y type.

If there's an effective style you can still practice into your 80's and 90's, it's BJJ.

getting chocked out isn't as bad as getting concussed no but that doesn't really mean it's good for you

read this article about how brazilian jiu jitsu is the safest martial art, what do you guys reckon from your experiences?

http://knuckledownmag.com/2014/06/03/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-safer-than-other-martial-arts/

I think it depends on you personal luck, skill, and age you training at. My personal experience. I trained hard-core full contact kickboxing in Russia in 1991-1993 (2 years, no breaks), age 15 -17. We had gloves but no other protective gear such as mouth pieces or cups. No accidents at all. It was a blast. Fast-forward! NYC 2001 - 2006 (age 25 -30) on and off I trained BJJ. Notice the "on and off" part, as in those 5 years I trained total of 3 years. The rest was dealing with injuries. One broken rib from a knee-on-a-belly, two knee injuries from sparring. The net result: I do Yoga now :) and gave up combat sports.

it's not the safest. i guess one of the safest, though

very rare to have head concussive force in bjj and that is the most dangerous type of injury. Ya there are blood chokes which are enormously dangerous if not stopped early but they are rarely to never taken too far. Joint and bone injuries are far less dangerous. So ya, that and wrestling are probably safest.

Bjj is risky for joints, ligaments and bones. There are some rare but serious neck injuries as well. I would not call it safe, but i think you take less risk than in arts with more impact.
All of that, of course, assuming you don't have a retarded training partner who happens to be too strong.

Mental martial arts training is the safest of them all guaranteed or your money back. :icon_chee

It's pretty safe. The worst thing that happened to me was almost getting my arm broken then a few months later got elbowed right in the eye. So yeah, it's not too bad.

Safest viable martial art to train maybe. You can do a lot more high intensity BJJ training sessions in a week than high intensity striking martial arts.

Back