(Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu made it to the Asian Games

Surely the only hope of getting in the Olympics is dropping 'Brazilian' and making sure it looks very different to either wrestling style or judo?

Unless every match is butt-scooting, 50/50, lapel guards, playing footsie and inverting its not going to stand out as it's own thing.

The ruleset sucks it's super complex and ambiguous. In the olympics the judges being corrupt it would suck extra hard.

When I say solid, I don't mean that I like it, it's just getting more and more precise of what is scoring points and what is not scoring points. There's the avantages that kind of suck and some DQ that are in the reaping limbo but all in all it's very obvious of what is a guard pass, what is a sweep and what is a back take, a knee on the belly or a full mount.

IBJJF suck but they always sucked that way, they are kind of ISO9000 in sucking and that's what's important for Olympic sports because they need a strong federation to do the job.

In BJJ the controversy is mostly about decisions, DQs or avantages given or not. I don't remember seeing obvious and clear takedowns, backtakes, sweeps or guard passes not scoring.

IBJJF suck but they always sucked that way, they are kind of ISO9000 in sucking and that's what's important for Olympic sports because they need a strong federation to do the job.
IBJJF is NOT the governing body of BJJ. It's a private, for-profit company. BJJ has no international governing body, nor does it meet any of the other criteria for inclusion as an Olympic sport. This is a pipe dream.

Grappling as a whole is not a fan friendly sport, that be Bjj judo wrestling etc. High lights are ok, but most matches will put to sleep most of the casual spectators.

I think if Bjj becomes an Olympic sport, it wouldn’t be too long till heavy wrestling coutures catch up with Brazil...

Surely the only hope of getting in the Olympics is dropping 'Brazilian' and making sure it looks very different to either wrestling style or judo?

Unless every match is butt-scooting, 50/50, lapel guards, playing footsie and inverting its not going to stand out as it's own thing.
If the current state of competitions is anything to go by, it probably will look like that!

did you see the video i posted. its a bunch of blue belts.

@leebyun
Everyone wears a blue or red belt regardless of belt rank. I’m not sure about the other countries, but almost all of the Korean representatives are black belts and a couple of brown belts.

The trials in Korea lumped all belts together (everyone wore a red or blue belt) for the trial competition to choose their team.

Last edited:
@leebyun
Everyone wears a blue or red belt regardless of belt rank. I’m not sure about the other countries, but almost all of the Korean representatives are black belts and a couple of brown belts.

The trials in Korea lumped all belts together (everyone wore a red or blue belt) for the trial competition to choose their team.

Only 2 representatives from Korea actually [1 women, 1 man).
-94kg - former brown belt Pan Am Silver Medalist Hwang Myengse
-62 kg - Current Purple belt world champion Kira Sung

Also asian games doesn't use IBJJF rules

Only 2 representatives from Korea actually [1 women, 1 man).
-94kg - former brown belt Pan Am Silver Medalist Hwang Myengse
-62 kg - Current Purple belt world champion Kira Sung

Also asian games doesn't use IBJJF rules

My bad. I was going off that last trials video I saw a little while back. So, after the initial Korean trials, there was another bigger trial afterward? What happened to all the other guys who won their division in Korea?

Can you give us a breakdown on the rules?

@leebyun

please tell me more senpai

rules that would help (B)JJ:

lose 1 point for pulling guard
push out is 1 point
being passive/defensive in the standup will cost you 1 point

rules that would help (B)JJ:

lose 1 point for pulling guard
push out is 1 point
being passive/defensive in the standup will cost you 1 point

It would just end up being all push outs and stalling against guard pullers.

It would just end up being all push outs and stalling against guard pullers.

not if there are points against stalling. we will see a more offensive standup game game and minus points for pulling guard.

Yeah, you'd see it's evolution into a parodic simulacrum; kill bjj, flay the corpse, then wear it's skin to pass itself off as the original. Much like what's happened to Judo with the IJF over the years.

Not that that the current most popular competition format for bjj is a picnic or anything, but there's a good principle to keep in mind: no matter how bad things may seem, they can always get worse.
Well I’m more optimistic. I think it would only help to improve techniques and training modalities. You’d see real high level athletes at their peak, instead of the pro-light athletes you see now.

There is no doping protocol in BJJ, anyone can juice and sign up for a tournament.

I thought USA Grappling and FILA had a good shot at really creating a worldwide uniform sport of Grappling. They had a lot of credible people involved (Liborio, a bunch of wrestlers, etc) but it never really took off like they had hoped.

I thought USA Grappling and FILA had a good shot at really creating a worldwide uniform sport of Grappling. They had a lot of credible people involved (Liborio, a bunch of wrestlers, etc) but it never really took off like they had hoped.
That would have been nogi submission grappling if i remember correctly right? Shame it didn't work out, any idea of why it wasn't really supported by the BJJ community?

The problem with the Olympics is you can't expect them to add a sport that is basically a mix of wrestling and judo techniques just with some other stuff added. The same would apply if it was Sambo; they just are not different enough from the existing grappling sports included already. The temporary removal of freestyle wrestling a few years back doesn't bode well for the chances of getting another niche grappling sport added. Wrestling and Judo have obvious reasons not to want to see it there too!

Then there is the lack of a governing body despite what the IBJJF like to think, they're a million miles away from the requirements of a qualifying body for the Olympic rules as somebody already said - lol

That would have been nogi submission grappling if i remember correctly right? Shame it didn't work out, any idea of why it wasn't really supported by the BJJ community?

The problem with the Olympics is you can't expect them to add a sport that is basically a mix of wrestling and judo techniques just with some other stuff added. The same would apply if it was Sambo; they just are not different enough from the existing grappling sports included already. The temporary removal of freestyle wrestling a few years back doesn't bode well for the chances of getting another niche grappling sport added. Wrestling and Judo have obvious reasons not to want to see it there too!

Then there is the lack of a governing body despite what the IBJJF like to think, they're a million miles away from the requirements of a qualifying body for the Olympic rules as somebody already said - lol
Yeah they called it no gi grappling, or just grappling. Ricardo Liborio was involved in the very beginning and even coached the 1st few USA National Teams. It had the full weight of USA Wrestling and FILA (now UWW) behind it and enjoyed participation from a ton of high level Bjj/MMA gyms and Bjj/MMA practitioners. With Liborio being so involved I cant help but think at least some of the Bjj community was thinking this was the best shot at sub grappling in the Olympics. Rodrigo Madeiros, Gabriel Kitober, Jonatan Novaes, Marcos de oliveira, and other Bjjers competed in the world championships. It seemed to end up being a grappling forum that was equally welcoming for wrestlers and Bjjers. Maybe more so for wrestlers. Guys like Zach Makovsky, Jacob Volkmann, Ben Askren, Ricky Lundell, Jeff Monson all won world titles. Johny Hendricks and a few other big time wrestlers competed in this platform as well. I think your point about it not being different enough really hurt it. For a while that same fact seemed to be hurting Greco roman as well and that is WELL established as an Olympic sport, to say the least.

If curling can do it.....

Curling is more exciting than BJJ comps for the uninitiated. The BJJ edition for curling would be to take curling, but then the other team is always standing in front of your stone and never letting you throw it, or sitting on it so even if you throw it, it never travels far. Then we award victory based on which team is more scottish.

Curling is more exciting than BJJ comps for the uninitiated. The BJJ edition for curling would be to take curling, but then the other team is always standing in front of your stone and never letting you throw it, or sitting on it so even if you throw it, it never travels far. Then we award victory based on which team is more scottish.
Id watch that. What if we added strikes and stand up boxing. Oh wait. Thats mma

Back