(Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu made it to the Asian Games

2arctanx

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its a shit show, but it's an official sport now. Asian Games is the "Olympics" of Asia.

More grappling is always a good thing imho. Bjj will never be an olympic sport.

The Olympics is mostly a collection of fringe sports nobody gives a shit about, yet pretend to because nationalism.

Who cares.

The Olympics is mostly a collection of fringe sports nobody gives a shit about, yet pretend to because nationalism.

Who cares.

Sounds like bjj would fit right in. Super fringe and nobody cares. Brazil can win 95% of the medals, how exciting

It'd be great if it was in the Olympics, you'd see the next evolution of the sport.

Sounds like bjj would fit right in. Super fringe and nobody cares. Brazil can win 95% of the medals, how exciting

Don't know, some americans can pass through in some divisions, maybe some euro guys. Then in 2 or 3 olympics after that, russians, japanese, mongolians... will get on the train making BJJ a real global sport. As if judo was always won by Japan.

Also, never forget that an olympic medal is very valuable. Look at what happened to Ronda with a bronze medal. Even if there's no gold medals for the US, some silver and bronze can make BJJ shine.

I don't see anything wrong with BJJ going to the olympics. The ruleset is solid, the organization is solid (IBJJF). This just means that more public money will enter the sport with the national organizations and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also as a parent it's a better selling argument that the sport is Olympic with a national federation than saying that everybody in the UFC do BJJ. More kids, better comps, better athletes in the end. Right now my kids are training, but what I see from the kids competition in my area there's no way they will enter with brackets that have boys and girls mixed up, weight class that can range 30 pounds and last minute fusion of categories because there's not enough kids. Watching a 40 pounds little girl getting beat up by a 60 pounds little boy is not that fun to watch.

Maybe not in california, or the NYC area but those things happens all the time in the kids categories. So anything that can make the parents aware and interested in BJJ will be more than welcome.

here is one of the matches

More grappling is always a good thing imho. Bjj will never be an olympic sport.

nor should it. its boring af to watch and brazil would win every medal.

Don't know, some americans can pass through in some divisions, maybe some euro guys. Then in 2 or 3 olympics after that, russians, japanese, mongolians... will get on the train making BJJ a real global sport. As if judo was always won by Japan.

Also, never forget that an olympic medal is very valuable. Look at what happened to Ronda with a bronze medal. Even if there's no gold medals for the US, some silver and bronze can make BJJ shine.

I don't see anything wrong with BJJ going to the olympics. The ruleset is solid, the organization is solid (IBJJF). This just means that more public money will enter the sport with the national organizations and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also as a parent it's a better selling argument that the sport is Olympic with a national federation than saying that everybody in the UFC do BJJ. More kids, better comps, better athletes in the end. Right now my kids are training, but what I see from the kids competition in my area there's no way they will enter with brackets that have boys and girls mixed up, weight class that can range 30 pounds and last minute fusion of categories because there's not enough kids. Watching a 40 pounds little girl getting beat up by a 60 pounds little boy is not that fun to watch.

Maybe not in california, or the NYC area but those things happens all the time in the kids categories. So anything that can make the parents aware and interested in BJJ will be more than welcome.

You seem passionate and that’s great. Bjj is a niche sport. I also find it incredibly boring to watch. I don’t think it will ever be mainstream.

I put my kids in it for bully prevention but as far as sports with a real possible future I put them in major sports.

What exactly happened to Ronda?? Nobody I know ever heard of her until she did Mma. Her judo medal didn’t make her some international star. Most Olympic sports are great for people who can’t do a sport that will actually pay them absurd amounts of money because those sports have a much much MUCH bigger talent pool

You seem passionate and that’s great. Bjj is a niche sport. I also find it incredibly boring to watch. I don’t think it will ever be mainstream.

I put my kids in it for bully prevention but as far as sports with a real possible future I put them in major sports.

What exactly happened to Ronda?? Nobody I know ever heard of her until she did Mma. Her judo medal didn’t make her some international star. Most Olympic sports are great for people who can’t do a sport that will actually pay them absurd amounts of money because those sports have a much much MUCH bigger talent pool

there are high paying sports in the olympics as well. like basketball. hockey. football.
also state sponsored athletes get huge paychecks for competing. there is a lot of prestige in the olympics. especially in Wrestling and Weightlifting.

I kind of agree with you (I love doing BJJ but often find it tedious to watch), but how is it any different to wrestling or judo?

And do you think there is a downside to BJJ being in the olympics?

I kind of agree with you (I love doing BJJ but often find it tedious to watch), but how is it any different to wrestling or judo?

And do you think there is a downside to BJJ being in the olympics?

wrestling? are you joking? wrestling is the most fun to watch the exciting of getting takedowns and the ups and downs. geez are u crazy!? nobody wants to see 2 men in jackhammer position for 15min playing spider guard aint happening. u should try to watch some wrestling.

wrestling? are you joking? wrestling is the most fun to watch the exciting of getting takedowns and the ups and downs. geez are u crazy!? nobody wants to see 2 men in jackhammer position for 15min playing spider guard aint happening. u should try to watch some wrestling.

I personally do enjoy watching wrestling, but I doubt we're in the majority there. I'd assume the average Olympic viewer would be entirely lost and not find it particularly enjoyable.

The Olympic sports that are the most successful are the ones that are VERY easy to watch. Track and field, for example, is just a matter of who can run fastest, jump furthest, or throw something the furthest. You can literally watch it for the first time and get it. Wrestling, judo, BJJ etc are not that easy, imo.

I personally do enjoy watching wrestling, but I doubt we're in the majority there. I'd assume the average Olympic viewer would be entirely lost and not find it particularly enjoyable.

The Olympic sports that are the most successful are the ones that are VERY easy to watch. Track and field, for example, is just a matter of who can run fastest, jump furthest, or throw something the furthest. You can literally watch it for the first time and get it. Wrestling, judo, BJJ etc are not that easy, imo.

even the most idiotic person in the world would understand what a takedown is and who is winning a wrestling match and what a dominant position is. NOBODY understands what two men in missionary position is about.

It'd be great if it was in the Olympics, you'd see the next evolution of the sport.

Yeah, you'd see it's evolution into a parodic simulacrum; kill bjj, flay the corpse, then wear it's skin to pass itself off as the original. Much like what's happened to Judo with the IJF over the years.

Not that that the current most popular competition format for bjj is a picnic or anything, but there's a good principle to keep in mind: no matter how bad things may seem, they can always get worse.

even the most idiotic person in the world would understand what a takedown is and who is winning a wrestling match and what a dominant position is. NOBODY understands what two men in missionary position is about.

A clear takedown, sure, but in my experience wrestling is rarely that simple. But then, I'm hardly an expert and haven't watched an enormous amount of wrestling.

Brazilian JJ could never be an Olympic sport. They'd have to change the name to make it more "inclusive". It has been tried already. In the mid 2000's Ricardo Liborio teamed up with FILA and USA Wrestling and got involved with the sport of Grappling. He was the head coach of Team USA for a few years and has gone on record saying he'd like to see Grappling included in the Olympics. I think this was the best shot at submission grappling getting in the Olympics but for whatever reason, despite participation from some really credible people, it never took off the way they had hoped.

Back