Brazilian Jiu Jitsu-Luta Livre

Valiss

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu-Luta Livre"? I saw it on a ad for a MMA school and I'm wondering what that is. Thanks!

Luta Livre was like the rival school to Jiu Jitsu back in the day. To be honest I'm not really sure what the difference is. The only thing anyone can tell me is that Luta Livre means "free fight".

Wierd ok, so may it's just a marketing thing and not some hybrid style....

Luta livre's emphasis is on grappling and fighting without the gi. No gi's, and from the beginning it put a strong emphasis on takedowns, leg-locks and also incorporating striking into their grappling system. It basically just translates to wrestling and that's what it was and is; Brazilian submission wrestling. They have a school in Germany with some pretty good students and Pequeno Nogueira and Babalu are both luta livre guys.

BJJ's old rival from Brazil was Luta Livre. Essentially the Luta Livre guys came from poorer backgrounds and could not afford the gi (or something like that). It's essentially the same kinda stuff, and I don't know if the rivalry carries to this day.

Thanks for the great info, both mods!

Sounds like MMA before there was MMA (no-gi grappling with strikes). Are there any pure Luta Livre school out there, or does any pro fighter claim that as thier style?

theres more than one luta livre types... JZ comes from the Olympic luta livre, which is your everyday freestyle wrestling. Luta Livre esportiva is submission wrestling, and as someone above mentioned, it was nicknamed "luta de pedreiro" or, construction-man fighting, because it was more for the people with poorer backgrounds/

C. Beeby does luta livre I believe...

As well as anyone else who trains at Fairtex Mountain View.

It's just no-gi. I dunno about the striking thing, we don't do that as part of the classes. We do learn leglocks though.

Yes, I don't think the "striking" thing exists in Luta Livre as Kforcer said.. oh well

theres more than one luta livre types... JZ comes from the Olympic luta livre, which is your everyday freestyle wrestling. Luta Livre esportiva is submission wrestling, and as someone above mentioned, it was nicknamed "luta de pedreiro" or, construction-man fighting, because it was more for the people with poorer backgrounds/

What he wrote is right.

Lita Livre means Wrestling.

Yes, I don't think the "striking" thing exists in Luta Livre as Kforcer said.. oh well

It does in classical luta livre as practiced by the founders; look it up. That was one of the distinctions--they had no gi's and, similar to some versions of shoot-wrestling, they heavily incorporated striking and grappling together in their training.

Obviously the various styles of grappling follow more modernized formats now and certainly there will be plenty of places that teach the luta livre style of grappling without incorporating strikes.

BJJ's old rival from Brazil was Luta Livre. Essentially the Luta Livre guys came from poorer backgrounds and could not afford the gi (or something like that). It's essentially the same kinda stuff, and I don't know if the rivalry carries to this day.

Have you ever read A Fighters Heart? I dont know if it was the luta livre boys or BJJ they were emulating, but the homeless brazilian kids would rub rocks on their ears to simulate cauliflower ears so they would tough like the "Pitche boys"- anyone corroborate?

Have you ever read A Fighters Heart? I dont know if it was the luta livre boys or BJJ they were emulating, but the homeless brazilian kids would rub rocks on their ears to simulate cauliflower ears so they would tough like the "Pitche boys"- anyone corroborate?

i remember reading that. miost of my knowledge on the art comes from that book. luta livre is that grappling art of brazil's poor, although it has similarities to BJJ without the gi.

renato sobral has his roots in luta livre

Luta Livre is basically No-GI submission wrestling. Theres a heavy wrestling influence.

It does in classical luta livre as practiced by the founders; look it up. That was one of the distinctions--they had no gi's and, similar to some versions of shoot-wrestling, they heavily incorporated striking and grappling together in their training.

Obviously the various styles of grappling follow more modernized formats now and certainly there will be plenty of places that teach the luta livre style of grappling without incorporating strikes.

Yeah but a lot of JiuJitsu teachers here in Brazil have vale tudo sessions, where you take off or you don't take off your gi and you can palm strike and kick during the rolls. Carlson used to do it as well as many others

Luta Livre is :

-Luta Livre Esportiva

-Luta Livre Valetudo

Back