News Brazilian Fratboy Chad wants to fight Rob Whitaker for interim belt

Think it would be a good fight but pretty risky for Costa. He just got blown out the water by the #1 guy in his second elite fight. He might want to try something a bit easier than the #2 guy who might just do the same.

I don't trust Costa that it's close. dude seems to have no idea how contracts work. two days after getting smoked by Izzy he's like "SIGN THE CONTRACT IZZY". Whittaker is taking the next few months off for xmas + his baby being born so unless they're just signing the fight like 4-5 months out it's probably just Costa saying whatever.

I'd take Whittaker in this fight. Costa is the kind of guy he feasts on.

Tournament time!
Costa-Cannonier
Whittaker-Hermansson
Gastellum-Brunson
Till-Romero

That's dumb. Whittaker went and won two fights over top contenders after his beatdown by Izzy. Costa should have to do the same.

Correct. I can see why Costa wants it though, he beats Whittaker and he's got an argument for another title shot, there's no gain for Whittaker if he wins.

That's dumb. Whittaker went and won two fights over top contenders after his beatdown by Izzy. Costa should have to do the same.

So who should Whittaker fight for the vacant title?

Costa vs Cannonier is the fight to make in my opinion, but I don't see Jared back anytime soon after his last loss.
I say Costa vs Gastelum, book it!

So who should Whittaker fight for the vacant title?
I'm not sure why there is talk of a vacant title? Izzy literally just defended on Sept 27. I know he's going for the LHW belt, but there's no reason why he couldn't defend the MW title in Spring/Summer 2021. There should be zero talk of an interim MW belt until it's been a year since Izzy's last defense, which would be Oct 2021.

If they do make an Interim belt sometime next year, it will be Whittaker vs someone who has stayed active and got some wins. If Hermansson beats Till in December he'll certainly be deserving of the interim shot vs Whittaker. But regardless, there shouldn't be any talk of this for several months anyways.

How do you have an interim title when the champ fought less than 2 months ago and he's fought 6 times in the last 2 years?

Did I miss the part where he said "I'm gonna pack on a bunch of weight so I can't make middleweight." Because I thought he said just the opposite.

Costa has no humility. You talked all that trash, got dominated, and now you think you deserve an interim title shot because the champ expressed interest in a lhw fight?

costa shouldn't be fighting top 10 guys
Well that's just biased silliness in the other direction.

Costa objectively is top 5 in the division, worst case.

He has 1 loss in his career, to the champ and has 2 recent wins over guys ranked in the current top 10.

Well that's just biased silliness in the other direction.

Costa objectively is top 5 in the division, worst case.

He has 1 loss in his career, to the champ and has 2 recent wins over guys ranked in the current top 10.

He beat only 1 top 10 guy in tyrone romero. He is overrated not elite anywhere besides bumrushing guys. He already lost against some random guy not too long ago even if it was a amateur on TUF

Costa vs Jared makes more sense.

If Joker wins against Till, he can fight Whittaker for the interim belt.

That long? Aren’t Tilll and Jack scheduled for the first week of December? Hardly a long wait given Whittaker’s on record saying he’s not fighting till March at the earliest next year.
Yeah but you can't know if they will be immediately ready after the fight. I mean it's a fight. Someone will get hurt more often than not.

But if you're that bent of Hermanson getting that title fight first I'll call Dana and we'll try and figure it out :D

Costa making all these demands after getting humiliated by Adesanya (both during and after the fight). First demanded an immediate rematch, now demanding an interim title shot. This dude is a real moron. No, need for an interim at this point. And, even if there were then he wouldn't deserve the shot.

So funny to see everyone one here say Rob would beat Costa (he would).

90 percent of people were saying that Costa would completely destroy him a fight ago..

He beat only 1 top 10 guy in tyrone romero. He is overrated not elite anywhere besides bumrushing guys. He already lost against some random guy not too long ago even if it was a amateur on TUF
Uriah is currently #9 and was #10 before he fought anderson.

And count the TUF loss if you want. He's still top ten. That fight was in 2014. He became a professional in 2012. And it was a split decision. And you characterize that as "not too long ago." Since then he ran off 10 straight wins, and 5 in the UFC before he was stopped by Izzy.

If he's not top 10, list the 10 fighters ahead of him so we can end this and just laugh at your bias.

Back