Brazilian fans need to be patronized this much?

amishriot

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I just got back from holiday and catching up on the Machida/Dollaway card. I was not surprised to see that the main event and the co-main match ups were heavily weighted in favor of the Brazilian fighters. I don't mean any disrespect to any of the fighters but these match ups were kind of ridiculous. Who have Dollaway and Gagnon beat to show they are ready to face two former champions who are both still on top of their divisions.

This happens all the time whenever the UFC goes to Brazil they gota feed some over-matched foreigner to a heavily favored Brazilian fighter. As if it wasn't enough that they are given a favorable match-up the fans Boo the foreign fighters. I normally have nothing against Brazilian fighters but when the show is in Brazil I love to see them lose just because I hate the disrespectful fans.

I know this is going to be brought up so I'll be the first to say that I also hate the U-S-A chants some Americans do but at least they don't boo foreign fighters. I live in New Zealand so I understand people want to root for their home town hero. I cheer for Mark Hunt because he is a bruiser but also because he is from the same city I live in, so i get it. There is no need to boo the other fighter though especially when he is ranked 29 and facing a rank 6 former champion. The guy had some serious balls to step in the cage with Machida.

I realize not all Brazilian fans could possibly be this immature and insecure so if you are not then this doesn't apply to you.

On every card in Brazil all matchups are in favor of the Brazilians.

I can't remember the last time I seen a Brazilian underdog fighting a forginer in Brazil. Anyone know of any?

davis fought machida and glover in brasil, and won

Tryna fuel that Brazilian market

Brazilians have no respect for the opposition and even respect for their own fighters when they lose.

I'm glad Machida defected and now he can fight for America.

Fans don't pay to watch the home town fighter lose

Ok but that isn't the point. If Mark Hunt ever has a fight in Auckland I don't think we would like to see him crushing a guy who is like 25 ranks under him.

How else can you market to people who still think it's cool to base a chant off of "Whoomp, there it is"?

And the referees and judges seem to heavily favor the Brazilian fighters as well.

The judges for sure. Every fighter knows he is less likely to win a decision in Brazil if he isn't from there.

The last card in Brazil before this one the fans actually booed a decision that gave the fight to the Brazilian fighter because it was such an obvious robbery that even they noticed it.

I can't remember the last time I seen a Brazilian underdog fighting a forginer in Brazil. Anyone know of any?

Big nog vs Schaub, he won though.

Wanderlei vs Rich Franklin.

Davis also beat both Machida and Glover at Brazil, I don't remember the odds though.

How else can you market to people who still think it's cool to base a chant off of "Whoomp, there it is"?

That isn't what they chant lol.. Its "Voce Vai Morrer" which translates to "you're going to die" They chant this at the foreign opponents.

That isn't what they chant lol.. Its "Voce Vai Morrer" which translates to "you're going to die" They chant this at the foreign opponents.

Yeah, no shit. That's why I said 'based' off of, which it is.

Fans don't pay to watch the home town fighter lose

Youre a fucking idiot. Then why not do that everywhere else? Its not that it happens, it that it generally happens exclusively in Brazil every card they have

Big nog vs Schaub, he won though.

Wanderlei vs Rich Franklin.

Davis also beat both Machida and Glover at Brazil, I don't remember the odds though.

Big Nog was the underdog? lol seriously? WTF I think the odds makers were a bit confused.

Yeah, no shit. That's why I said 'based' off of, which it is.

Where do you get the idea that it is based off of that? I'm pretty sure they have been chanting that at football games for a lot longer than that song has existed.

before that...

Shogun vs. St. Preux (shogun owned)

Aldo vs. Mendes 2 (toughest UFC fight for Aldo so far)

Bigfoot vs. Arlovski (Bigfoot owned)

Miocic vs. Maldonado (a replacement, but Miocic proved he's not an easy matchup for JDS anyway)

Shogun vs. Henderson 2 (Shogun owned)

Machida vs. Mousasi (42% of Sherdog picked Mousasi)

Back