International Brazil will cut deforestation by 40% if the US gives them $1billion dollars

How about we just buy their rain forests instead?

It was free under Trump. How many countries will cuck Fascist Joe Bidet?

blackmail is too racially insensitive. Please use the term extortion.
Are you aware that Bolsonaro was elected when Trump was in office, and that he increased deforestation.

Last edited:
Like 1 billion per year or an one time deal. It isn't much considering we give billions each year in foreign and in some countries foreign aid for life.

Anyway the brazilian gov would just pocket it for themselves

Like Brazil has the ability to police and monitor the Amazon. They’d need well over a billion to do so. Sounds like a con man trying to get a fish on the hook.

Call their bluff, give them the billion under the condition the Brazilian rainforest becomes US territory so that the US will have the ability to ensure its survival.

I like the idea but we’d just end up cutting everything down under a different administration that doesn’t respect the climate

- Bolsonaro told Biden he would be willing to cut deforestation by 40% if the US gives them $1 billion
- Brazil says the only way to cut deforestation is to provide alternatives to poor slash and burn farmers, like fish farming.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brazil-offers-cut-deforestation-40-195300646.html
---
Almost seems like enviromental blackmail. The Amazon is often called the lungs of the world. It's biodiversity is unparalled.

Brazil does have a lot of poor people and if they can't farm , how do they survive, so wealthy nations should pitch in and help. But Brazil also has lots of rich people and lots of industry and is the most powerful nation in Latin America.

Any Brazilians here know what % of the ranching and farming is by large landowners and corps?

Rich nations should give them money, cause the alternative is terrible.
How about cut foreign aid and impose sanctions equal to 1 billion dollars if he doesn't act? What's this blackmailing about?

How about cut foreign aid and impose sanctions equal to 1 billion dollars if he doesn't act? What's this blackmailing about?

I think the better solution is support the anti Bolsonaro factions and Civil Society.

Given them the $1billion and if they don't keep their end of the bargain, sue them and impose sanctions on their products, like Embraer. I do think they should be compensated since the world is asking them not to use a large chunk of their land.

I think the better solution is support the anti Bolsonaro factions and Civil Society.

Given them the $1billion and if they don't keep their end of the bargain, sue them and impose sanctions on their products, like Embraer. I do think they should be compensated since the world is asking them not to use a large chunk of their land.
Fair enough. Sounds reasonable to me

I'm saying I live in the land of, uh, "eco leftists" and they never shut up about planting trees lol
This is a weird one
Planting trees is okay but really just let nature do her thing. We've had our chance.

There is no way they would sell it.
That's true, and my post was being kind of spiteful. It just seems obvious to me that they won't hold up their end, and that depending on the context it's easy to paint the deal as an absurdity.

They're basically holding their rain forest hostage.

Despicable. America, its your time to shine: regime change this foo.

That's true, and my post was being kind of spiteful. It just seems obvious to me that they won't hold up their end, and that depending on the context it's easy to paint the deal as an absurdity.

They're basically holding their rain forest hostage.
Ofcourse they won't. They will claim they are trying but it is too big to police. They will play this game of doing just enough to stop the US from moving to impose serious repercussions, but not enough to curtail deforestation.

They will keep asking for more money, and do just enough to convince the Western powers that handing over money is less hassle than other options.

https://www.lemonde.fr/internationa...ava-jato-the-brazilian-trap_6076361_3210.html

If good old US of A hadn’t stuck its nose where it shouldn’t have, we wouldn’t have this clown in the presidency in the first place. But yea, keep virtue signalling, congrats.

Now you're at the verge of making a deal with the most corrupt politician in the world and after it goes to shit I'm willing to bet senile ass Biden will be licking his fingers to impose sanctions or even worse, bring his war machine here.

The world would benefit greatly if the US turn their attention towards themselves a bit more. Like, haven't a 15 year old been killed by the police these days? How about fixing it's own democracy so Putin can't undermine it via Facebook? lol

https://www.lemonde.fr/internationa...ava-jato-the-brazilian-trap_6076361_3210.html

If good old US of A hadn’t stuck its nose where it shouldn’t have, we wouldn’t have this clown in the presidency in the first place. But yea, keep virtue signalling, congrats.

Now you're at the verge of making a deal with the most corrupt politician in the world and after it goes to shit I'm willing to bet senile ass Biden will be licking his fingers to impose sanctions or even worse, bring his war machine here.

The world would benefit greatly if the US turn their attention towards themselves a bit more. Like, haven't a 15 year old been killed by the police these days? How about fixing it's own democracy so Putin can't undermine it via Facebook? lol
Lol @ anyone still trying to push that russia greatly affected the outcome of an election by Facebook ads

- Bolsonaro told Biden he would be willing to cut deforestation by 40% if the US gives them $1 billion
- Brazil says the only way to cut deforestation is to provide alternatives to poor slash and burn farmers, like fish farming.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brazil-offers-cut-deforestation-40-195300646.html
---
Almost seems like enviromental blackmail. The Amazon is often called the lungs of the world. It's biodiversity is unparalled.

Brazil does have a lot of poor people and if they can't farm , how do they survive, so wealthy nations should pitch in and help. But Brazil also has lots of rich people and lots of industry and is the most powerful nation in Latin America.

Any Brazilians here know what % of the ranching and farming is by large landowners and corps?

Rich nations should give them money, cause the alternative is terrible.

Environmental blackmail is right. Fuck that! If the situation is as dire as you think (I wouldn't agree) then it would make more sense to serve them up a heaping plate of freedom than succumb to extortion. Nothing good comes from that.

We will give it to them year after year and they won't do their part.

The Trump admin was pro Bolsonaro and Bolsonaro was pro Trump, but I am not sure it mattered in Bolsonaro getting elected.

That's hilarious. Holding your own forest hostage to get freebies from foreign nations. They've got some gall. Even Biden isn't senile enough to go for that.

Back