International Brazil will cut deforestation by 40% if the US gives them $1billion dollars

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
- Bolsonaro told Biden he would be willing to cut deforestation by 40% if the US gives them $1 billion
- Brazil says the only way to cut deforestation is to provide alternatives to poor slash and burn farmers, like fish farming.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brazil-offers-cut-deforestation-40-195300646.html
---
Almost seems like enviromental blackmail. The Amazon is often called the lungs of the world. It's biodiversity is unparalled.

Brazil does have a lot of poor people and if they can't farm , how do they survive, so wealthy nations should pitch in and help. But Brazil also has lots of rich people and lots of industry and is the most powerful nation in Latin America.

Any Brazilians here know what % of the ranching and farming is by large landowners and corps?

Rich nations should give them money, cause the alternative is terrible.

Last edited:
- Bolsonaro told Biden he would be willing to cut deforestation by $1billion if the US gives them $1 billion
- Brazil says the only way to cut deforestation is to provide alternatives to poor slash and burn farmers, like fish farming.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brazil-offers-cut-deforestation-40-195300646.html
---
Almost seems like enviromental blackmail. The Amazon is often called the lungs of the world. It's biodiversity is almost unparalled.

Brazil does have a lot of poor people and if they can't farm , how do they survive, so wealthy nations should pitch in and help. But Brazil also has lots of rich people and it lots of industry and is the most powerful nation in Latin America.

Any Brazilians here know what % of the ranching and farming is by large landowners and corps?

Rich nations should give them money, cause the alternative is terrible.

"Almost seems like enviromental blackmail."

I mean, yeah, not really any other way to look at it. If the U.S. turns this down and the deforestation continues, they're gonna put up their hands and say "Look, the U.S. could have fixed all of this but they didn't want to." Now, I'm sure they do need the money and I'm perfectly fine with wealthy nations donating to poor/undeveloped countries or territories, but this is a bad way to go about it.

they'll blow the billion in about a month and then extort more.

But Uncle Joe is good at giving our money away. So why not?

The UN or Greta should pony up the cash.
Some of the money will be pilfered. How much actually makes towards protecting the Amazon , who knows??

There's isn't much choice though, they control the Amazon and everyone agrees the deforestation has to stop. Bolsonaro has been especially averse to protecting the Amazon. Infact he has been pushing ranching and farming to exploit it more.

So he encourages the problem then demands the US pay him to stop the problem.

If you put forth the idea to plant enough trees to clean out the CO2 emissions, OR give the state more power to control lives with a carbon tax and to give their rich friends green businesses tons of money, guess which one they choose?

not the trees
Buddeh, I live in the PNW and people are all about planting trees lol

Buddeh, I live in the PNW and people are all about planting trees lol
That’s good. I’m not saying eco leftists don’t also plant trees.

I’m saying we could plant enough trees to really make a difference, but the leftist leadership would rather have control over others and give themselves tons of money. Funny how that works

If they (hypothetically) followed through that would be worth it at this point. Basically $50 per adult.

That’s good. I’m not saying eco leftists don’t also plant trees.

I’m saying we could plant enough trees to really make a difference, but the leftist leadership would rather have control over others and give themselves tons of money. Funny how that works
I'm saying I live in the land of, uh, "eco leftists" and they never shut up about planting trees lol
This is a weird one

We are already giving away tons of money might as well do something useful with it

Plant a treeeeee...... for a billion dollars.......

Back