Brausa academy

desertbake

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Did a search...no results.

Has anybody here been to or heard about the Brausa Jiu-Jitsu Brazilian Academy in Tempe Arizona? I'm 22 and have never trained before, but now I have the time and the money. I know a lot of fighters in Rage in the Cage come from Brausa academy, but I was just wondering if anybody here has been to it and would recommend it. Also, what should i expect in an MMA type academy? When should I start rolling and stand up sparring, etc.?

Uhhh. I think you may want to read this:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285358
I think Roland Sarria runs the Brausa academy, and he put on the tournament described above.
A friend of mine trained very briefly there, and he said it was a lot of tough guy stuff. Kinda like the mean school in the movie "Karate Kid".
Their training is geared toward creating bad ass cage fighters.
Of course all of this is good and well if that's what you're into. Not knocking the school, I just think it's a tough training environment.

Thanks for the reply Bubble Boy. Like I said in my first post, I've been super busy doing work fulltime and college full time for the last four years and I finally have the time and money to train bjj and spar and there don't seem to be a whole lot of places in the Phoenix area that are mma geared. Oh well, I'll give it a shot.

I've heard other things about Seria, none that I want to fully disclose in public, but if you want to pm me. I've heard them from friends of mine in the promoting end of things. Let's just say this. Stay away from this guy. Bubble Boy, alot of what happened at that tourney you went to had to do with what I am alluding to...

Found the website for Brausa:
http://www.rageinthecage.com/brausa/press.htm

Also, Christophe Leininger is down there somewhere, I see him at a bunch of Judo tournaments. He does cage fights and even went against Ken Shamrock in an early UFC. He's a quality Judo guy, and was an Olympic alternate in the 1990's.

There's also Phoenix Grappling, which I think is a good choice. Nearly everyone I've met from there has been pretty cool. I guy from this club threw me for first place in a Judo tournament....he tossed me like a rag doll in under 30 seconds. Here's a link to this club:
http://www.phoenixgrappling.com/

AND...if your ever up north, stop in at the Verde Valley Judo Club in Cottonwood.

The Sickness said:
I've heard other things about Seria, none that I want to fully disclose in public, but if you want to pm me. I've heard them from friends of mine in the promoting end of things. Let's just say this. Stay away from this guy. Bubble Boy, alot of what happened at that tourney you went to had to do with what I am alluding to...

Yeah...
I certainly don't mean to dis the academy in public forums, I'm just stating my experiences, and things I've heard third party.
I know for sure there's some classy grappling places in the Phoenix area, because I meet people all the time who are from various clubs down there. I think desertbake is just going to have to search them out.

Hey, desertbake, also check out local Universities and Community College campuses. They sometimes have decent grappling / bjj / judo organizations.

Holy crap! I'm going through the www.phoenixgrappling.com website and I go to the video section. I get to this video clip and it's ME getting tossed by the guy who threw me in 30 seconds that I just mentioned above! If you're interested go to the site and go to the videos and click on "Yoko Wakare Jonah V." That's me getting face planted by Jonah in a tournament in 2002. Shit. Embaressing.

Isn't Roland the guy who promoted himself to black belt?

No..I am not thinking of Simco. Roland did this shit a while back.

BTW - it was funny. He just had a tournament, Desert Quest a few weeks ago. About 10 minutes into the kids division a fistfight breaks out. Roland is apologizing to the crowd, trying to make everyone feel guilty. 2 hours later, Gustavo Dantas shows up with his whole crew looking for the fucker who punched his guy in the back of the head and kneed him while he was down. Scoring table was flipped over. 20 guys on the mat. Roland looked funny trying to calm things down. He was doing nothing. Then waves goodbye to them when they leave. LOL. They didn't even care he was there.

Stoic1 said:
Isn't Roland the guy who promoted himself to black belt?

No..I am not thinking of Simco. Roland did this shit a while back.

BTW - it was funny. He just had a tournament, Desert Quest a few weeks ago. About 10 minutes into the kids division a fistfight breaks out. Roland is apologizing to the crowd, trying to make everyone feel guilty. 2 hours later, Gustavo Dantas shows up with his whole crew looking for the fucker who punched his guy in the back of the head and kneed him while he was down. Scoring table was flipped over. 20 guys on the mat. Roland looked funny trying to calm things down. He was doing nothing. Then waves goodbye to them when they leave. LOL. They didn't even care he was there.

Dude, I was at Desert Quest, friggin' ready to compete, when that third fight broke out and the scorers table was flipped over. I started a thread about it (see above for the link, Post #2). Wasn't that crazy? Were you a competitor? What do you think of my description of the events? Sound about right?

Yeah, I was there. The first fight happened right in front of us. I got a later description of who the involved parties were but don't remember the names.

Basically some little dude is talking to some big dude in a red shirt. Visualize 150 v 240. Little dude walks away. Big dude follows him across the gym. Big dude takes a swing. 2 little dudes are on his ass, one of them takes his back standing. They both go down. Group piles on. Little dude gets hit while down. Fight is broken up. It wasn't really 20 guys involved. It was like 3 guys, with everyone else trying to stop it.

If there was a second fight I didn't see it. Probably happened during one of our guys matches.

Gustavo and his crew show up and there are like 20 guys on the mats. Scoring table gets flipped but I dont think there was beer there. Nobody was drinking. And that wasn't really a fight. People talking shit as they back up. If any punches were thrown nothing really connected. It would settle down a second and someone else would talk shit. Then more posturing. Gustavo got physically restrained by one of his students because he was about to go off. He was not amused that one of his students got hit while he was down.

The details are a little fuzzy because I was more concerned about the competition than the antics. If they really wanted to fight they would have gone outside and settled it. It was more posturing after the first fight than anything else. And the first fight wasnt much of a fight. I saw the same action back in the 6th grade. And I wouldn't say that half the competitors left. A few did, but mostly it was Gustavos crew, and most of those showed up after the phone call.

Now I have been to Desert Quest before. Its always a small time sorta production. Our team kills everyone, and we grab the team trophy. But Roland also puts on RITC, rage in the cage. We have sent a couple of guys there and supposedly its kinda cool. The lame thing about it is the medals they give out. LOL. For RITC they use the same medals as Desert Quest. Dinky little 2 inch die cast 50cent jobs. What is REALLY funny is after Desert Quest one of the guys who lives there took us to a chinese buffet where we got to admire the team trophy. It was actually a statue of wrestler mayb 3-4inches tall, mouted...well....actually glued to a base from a different trophy. Upon closer inspection it was actually double sided tape! LOL. WTF? It was all broken and floppy. We laughed real good about it.

In short Roland is a cheap motherfucker, his productions are cheap, and from all accounts he is shady. I don't think anyone in the area really respects him as much as they just tolerate him.

Your description of the event and it's escapades is probably more accurate than mine. I was pretty jacked up for competition and so I think things may have appeared more amplified to me. The guy I was with was completely taken aback by the whole thing. He was really scared of all the fights and stuff, so that also influenced me.

I do know that as I was getting my money back there was a line of guys behind me just wanting to get out of there. And in the parking lot a group of us who had bailed were reflecting on the shit going on inside. About 10 of us.

What's weird is that I feel compelled to go back to the next event in December. I won't take my good bud Matt, because he's a little sensitive, but I'll go.

So what club do you train / teach at? Should our desertbake come train with you?

Back