Braulio or Roger?

Pierced7681

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Two guys at my club got into a legit argument over who's the better grappler. It was pretty funny to watch, as one of them clearly has a huge man crush on Roger and started to get really really mad. Me being a lowly white belt I didn't dare interject with my opinion, but also cause I really no nothing about Braulio.

So can anyone shed some light on the subject? Who's the better grappler?

Nothing against Braulio, as he is one of the best in the world, but Roger is significantly more accomplished than Braulio in terms of competition credentials.

roger.

i think braulio said somewhere that roger would beat him.

no one is beating roger in a gi right now. no one.

i've been at a joint roger/braulio seminar.
someone asked who would win between them.
braulio said roger, roger didn't say not roger.

what about adcc?

There is one man that can beat him at adcc (not sure if he still competes). I think his name is Jon Olav (JSho will know for sure).

Maybe a Jacare could beat him in Nogi if he still competed, but Roger has submitted him in the past. Some people thought a Prime Monson vs Roger in nogi would be a great match.

i've been at a joint roger/braulio seminar.
someone asked who would win between them.
braulio said roger, roger didn't say not roger.

Found the last bit to be hilarious.

I agree with everyone's comments (not surprisingly)

Maybe no-gi it would be close

^^he can only fight super fights in ADCC... that really sucks.

Jon Olav beat roger A LONG time ago, he aint doing it anymore...

^^he can only fight super fights in ADCC... that really sucks.

Jon Olav beat roger A LONG time ago, he aint doing it anymore...

Gracie beat him in the super fight in 2007. Good match.

Braulio (on a good day).

tumblr_kxamqt6ObW1qatpfv.jpg

I think a better question is Romulo vs Braulio.

Im sure Roger would come out on top.

Damn tall lanky heavy bastards.

Roger, it's not even close. He's the best grappler in the world hands down next to Marcelo Garcia. IMHO.

Roger is more accomplished than Braulio, or indeed anyone in a gi based on competition achievements, but that alone doesn't necessarily indicate better, otherwise you'd have to say Mark Kerr and Ricardo Arona are the best "submission grapplers" in the world based on their ADCC records when they would need a picture thesaurus to remind them what a sub was (off the top of my head i think amusingly Kerr has 2 subs at adcc from 14 matches and Arona only 1 from 13).

As mentioned above, Jon-Olav Einemo is the only person to have beaten Roger at nogi (ADCC 2003 Semi Finals).

Roger beat him in their superfight in 2007, Jon-Olav was a stand in for Arona who was himself a stand in for Lister.

To beat Roger at nogi i would suspect you either have to be a powerful wrestler with great conditioning (which is why it would have been interesting to see prime monson or arona fight him, even if not a pretty match) or to be Jon-Olav, to all intents and purposes, a norwegian version of Roger (perhaps slightly taller).

I think Jon-Olav is in his mid 30's now, so perhaps 5 or 6 years older than Roger and given he was not present at 2009 adcc, one might suspect he is retired from nogi. Having said that, he did fight and win in mma earlier this year for the first time in 3 or 4 years.

As i recall he had a lot of problems with his knees(?) and chest think that caused him to be sub par at ADCC 2005 compared to 2003.

Would be interesting to see what happens with the next superfight, Roger was injured for 2009, theoretically it would be Braulio/Jacare, but it would hardly be the first time a superfight had a change of competitors, MMA and injuries take their toll!

Back