Braulio Estima thoughts on Josh Koscheck!!!

Camarillo is one of the best teachers out there. However, I heard he is kind of a dick as well. You can not trian with Ralph and have a little attitude rub off on you

The funny thing is, Camarillo has a Ralph Gracie tramp stamp tat on his lower back, and now Camarillo and Ralph hate each other and aren't even on speaking terms

Isnt braulio significantly larger than kos anyways? Wouldnt he fight at 205 or heavyweight?

Braulio has fought in several different weight classes in BJJ but if he fought in MMA I think he would fight at 185. He's definitely not big enough for 205 in MMA. He would probably even need to lift weights and put on some beef before fighting at 185.

Honestly Koscheck has made me not like anyone at AKA, Dave Camarillo included.

To me Dave Camarillo is like a poor man's John Danaher. He tries to be all philosophical and stuff but thats just it - he's trying too hard. Danaher is telling it how it is.

I just can't imagine anyone could be friends with someone like Koscheck without being a little bit like him. So yeah, I will never support an AKA fighter solely bc of Koscheck and his disgusting attitude.

The way I see it he makes Dave look bad as well. On a character level just because he picks on non-fighters like the medic and on a coach level because he is yelling at his guys to work harder instead of giving them strategies to defeat the GSP guys.

I hope I made it evident that I never said he made Dave look bad. And just to be clear I like Kos and have no issues with him.

Camarillo is one of the best teachers out there. However, I heard he is kind of a dick as well. You can not trian with Ralph and have a little attitude rub off on you

We need less hearsay in this thread.

Dave is a professional through and through.

Honestly Koscheck has made me not like anyone at AKA, Dave Camarillo included.

To me Dave Camarillo is like a poor man's John Danaher. He tries to be all philosophical and stuff but thats just it - he's trying too hard. Danaher is telling it how it is.

I just can't imagine anyone could be friends with someone like Koscheck without being a little bit like him. So yeah, I will never support an AKA fighter solely bc of Koscheck and his disgusting attitude.

Seriously? Jon Fitch, whether you enjoy watching him fight or not, is one of the best sportsmen out there. He truly embodies what it means to be a martial artist. Not only is he an authentic dude, but he is one of the toughest fuckin' guys out there. GSP put a smashing on him like no other, and he never even thought about quitting for a second. Fitch was the T-1000 in there. That's just one example. Everyone that does GJJ that I've ever met or spoken to has been awesome.

You would really condemn an entire gym because of the behavior of one student? That seems very harsh.

As far as Dave goes, like it or not, he is one of the top 5 grappling coaches in MMA, and obviously Danaher is in there too, probably at number 1. This "poor man's Danaher" doesn't make sense to me. Dave is quick to point out that Danaher is even a better Judo teacher than him! That's humility. Dave will say he's the most brilliant mind in the sport. He's certainly not pretending to be him.

I can't agree man. Sorry.

Also Mike Swick is another famous AKA fighter that is the fucking man. Actually, I'm pretty sure everyone likes everyone at AKA. Kos is the only one with a negative light on him. Condemning a gym full of good men and women is just harsh.

Braulio has fought in several different weight classes in BJJ but if he fought in MMA I think he would fight at 185. He's definitely not big enough for 205 in MMA. He would probably even need to lift weights and put on some beef before fighting at 185.

He would have to put on about 5kg of muscle if he wants to fight at MW I would think.

He would have to put on about 5kg of muscle if he wants to fight at MW I would think.

Yeah I was going to say he could probably even make welterweight for MMA but he's almost 190 cm tall and I don't really have any idea what weight he's walking around at lately, or how good he is at cutting weight. No freakin' way he fights at 205, haha.

You can print the whole article at home.
Double click on the preview size article, this will then open a full screen emag.
Then move your mouse to the top of the screen, you will see a print icon appear. Click it!

You can print all the articles on eDojo.TV once you are a subscriber, this includes a whole series with Braulio on techniques, as well as many other top instructors covering many different styles.
4 articles added every week and 1 hour of instruction video every month, in a few months time, this will be the biggest collection of world class instruction techniques available online! All for just

MMA welterweights are pretty big!

walk around at about 200 lbs

That might be a tad extreme. Guys like Rumble Johnson and Thiago Alves certainly cut from that high, but most guys cut from 180-190. You are absolutely right, there are some beasts tat cut from 200+, but it's not most of the weight class.

GSP cuts from around 187 I think.

Not you Katsumi, cause you obviously know, but for others: A good rule is to assume most people in a weight class are actually cutting from the next weight class up. So for example, if you're fighting at 170, you're probably walking around at 185.

On a side note, Kos is one of the smaller Welterweights. He's incredibly powerful though.

That might be a tad extreme. Guys like Rumble Johnson and Thiago Alves certainly cut from that high, but most guys cut from 180-190. You are absolutely right, there are some beasts tat cut from 200+, but it's not most of the weight class.

Rick Hawn's main judo career was fought at 90kg which is about 198 pounds. To compete on the world level (as he almost did) he would probably have been cutting a little. He's no doubt changed his fitness regime and body shape to suit MMA and dropped his walk around weight but still he is a pretty big guy.

Last edited:
Rick Hawn's main judo career was fought at 90kg which is about 198 pounds. To compete on the world level (as he almost did) he would probably have been cutting a little. He's no doubt changed his fitness regime and body shape to suit MMA and dropped his walk around weight but still he is a pretty big guy.

Yeah Rick is a big dude.

To address the original topic of the thread, as much as I love Braulio, and I really do. He's fucking awesome! I don't see him beating Kos in MMA. Koscheck, love him or hate him, is very skilled and is a top 3 WW in the world easily. But there aren't too many people that can put Koscheck on the floor, and that's obviously what Braulio would have to do.

On a side note, Kos is one of the smaller Welterweights. He's incredibly powerful though.

Mabe smaller in the sense of height, but definitely not in body composition. Hes built like a brick shit house especially his lower body. He used to fight at 185.

I have a friend that used to train with Kos and he said that it's not like kos goes out of his way to be a dick to people, it's just that he is one naturally.

Back