Brainey fedor

Well, Fedor was coming of 3 losses.

Monson was in a better place in his career.

Monson is one of the top HWs from Fedor's era that I wanted to see him fight.

He beat Kharitonov FFS.

He beat Fujita, Ricco, Nelson, Kharitonov, Oleinik, Alex.

I mean Monson is a stud.

I could easily see him sub Fedor.

But then I sw Fedor actually using a gameplan and I was very happy with his performance.

Cormier didn't beat Monson as badly.

sorry i just look at it differently...ill respond to your references.

"Monson was in a better place in his career." No,he wasnt. Every fighter in the world would give their right nut to be the greatest fighter in the world forever and ever,even on the downswing. Monson was never that,never even close to that. He was a journeyman.Guys not even in the same universe as Fedor. His name was only brought up when people ran out of people for Fedor to fight and got bored,desperatley thinking of someone with a skillset who can challenge the russian.The same people that thought Rizzo could have a chance against Fedor.

"Monson is one of the top HWs from Fedor's era that I wanted to see him fight."
well,thats you. maybe some other people wanted to see it....in 2004.

"He beat Kharitonov FFS." It doesnt really mean that much if you saw the fight. Everyone knows takedowns and being off his back is his weakness,and Monson did the one thing you need to do to beat him. Its a good win but it doesnt mean,damn well he can give Fedor a good fight. To me its maybe a half step above like a third Coleman fight,basically.

"He beat Fujita, Ricco, Nelson, Kharitonov, Oleinik, Alex"
Yeah those guys arent Fedor ,and the guy also lost two to Rizzo,probably the only good wins the guys had in a decade. Even with those wins,i just always saw monson as a guy who was very beatable. If they fought in metamoris ok thats a diff story...

"I could easily see him sub Fedor."
Not me. I just saw Monson as a tune up,a punching bag to regain his confidence,and thats exactly what we saw. It was nice to see Fedor have his old composure,but myself personally didnt see it as impresssive,simply what i expect him to do. If Fedor hadnt lost by being overzealous in his previous bouts,Monson would not have lasted a minute.

sorry i just look at it differently...ill respond to your references.

"Monson was in a better place in his career." No,he wasnt. Every fighter in the world would give their right nut to be the greatest fighter in the world forever and ever,even on the downswing. Monson was never that,never even close to that. He was a journeyman.Guys not even in the same universe as Fedor. His name was only brought up when people ran out of people for Fedor to fight and got bored,desperatley thinking of someone with a skillset who can challenge the russian.The same people that thought Rizzo could have a chance against Fedor.

"Monson is one of the top HWs from Fedor's era that I wanted to see him fight."
well,thats you. maybe some other people wanted to see it....in 2004.

"He beat Kharitonov FFS." It doesnt really mean that much if you saw the fight. Everyone knows takedowns and being off his back is his weakness,and Monson did the one thing you need to do to beat him. Its a good win but it doesnt mean,damn well he can give Fedor a good fight. To me its maybe a half step above like a third Coleman fight,basically.

"He beat Fujita, Ricco, Nelson, Kharitonov, Oleinik, Alex"
Yeah those guys arent Fedor ,and the guy also lost two to Rizzo,probably the only good wins the guys had in a decade. Even with those wins,i just always saw monson as a guy who was very beatable. If they fought in metamoris ok thats a diff story...

"I could easily see him sub Fedor."
Not me. I just saw Monson as a tune up,a punching bag to regain his confidence,and thats exactly what we saw. It was nice to see Fedor have his old composure,but myself personally didnt see it as impresssive,simply what i expect him to do. If Fedor hadnt lost by being overzealous in his previous bouts,Monson would not have lasted a minute.

Your look is too negative.

I look at every fighter as positively as I can.

Monson and Rizzo were both 2 fighters I wanted to see Fedor fight.

He outclassed them both and made me very happy.

Fedor was at his lowest after the Hendo loss and the Monson win is a good and legit win in my eyes.

In fact, all 3 wins before his retirement are good and legit even though the haters sh*t on them.

They weren't top 10 wins, but absolutely nothing to b*tch about.

Fedor completely outclassed 3 good opponents.

Your look is too negative.

I look at every fighter as positively as I can.

ah! well you see this is more of a question of personal choice. I dont consider myself negative,just seeing it as it is. Of course i watched the fight,and i did not think the fight should not happen for it had a purpose and it was carried out perfectly,and why not an easier fight after what he had been through. I just wasnt jumping up and down about it after it happened. Its what i more or less expected...I just wanted him to put him away while im watching it because i know he could. Even with the risk of Monson taking him down i thought,Monson is done. He's got nothing for Fedor. He never did. The only fight i thought he shouldnt take was against Rizzo.

ah! well you see this is more of a question of personal choice. I dont consider myself negative,just seeing it as it is. Of course i watched the fight,and i did not think the fight should not happen for it had a purpose and it was carried out perfectly,and why not an easier fight after what he had been through. I just wasnt jumping up and down about it after it happened. Its what i more or less expected...I just wanted him to put him away while im watching it because i know he could. Even with the risk of Monson taking him down i thought,Monson is done. He's got nothing for Fedor. He never did. The only fight i thought he shouldnt take was against Rizzo.

Well, Monson was never easy to finish, so not finishing him wasn't a big deal. He is a tough guy. I was very happy that Fedor learned from Werdum:)

I think Fedor gets too much sh*t for fighting Rizzo too.

He was a nr. 13 HW in 2010, hasn't fought in 2011 and then fought Fedor in 2012.

I'm fine with the fight and Fedor beat Rizzo like nothing, which was amazing.

Well, Monson was never easy to finish, so not finishing him wasn't a big deal. He is a tough guy. I was very happy that Fedor learned from Werdum:)

I think Fedor gets too much sh*t for fighting Rizzo too.

He was a nr. 13 HW in 2010, hasn't fought in 2011 and then fought Fedor in 2012.

I'm fine with the fight and Fedor beat Rizzo like nothing, which was amazing.

its not amazing,its like...well he better beat rizzo like he was nothing. I just hope Rizzo got paid well for getting annihalated out there. He should stick to wheelchair matches against ken shamrock or something. Monson wasnt easy to finish for mortal regular human being hws,fine. Fedor had him dead to rights pretty early on.

anyway War Fedor nontheless,nonwithstanding,without end.

I don't think it's necessarily his fight IQ.

Fedor is the type of guy that doesn't train for a specific opponent or has a gameplan going into a fight. He's willing to fight in any position or adapt during the fight; regardless of how good the other guy is at something.

I don't think it's necessarily his fight IQ.

Fedor is the type of guy that doesn't train for a specific opponent or has a gameplan going into a fight.

but thats not true

its not amazing,its like...well he better beat rizzo like he was nothing. I just hope Rizzo got paid well for getting annihalated out there. He should stick to wheelchair matches against ken shamrock or something. Monson wasnt easy to finish for mortal regular human being hws,fine. Fedor had him dead to rights pretty early on.

anyway War Fedor nontheless,nonwithstanding,without end.

Rizzo was very excited for the opportunity to finally face Fedor.

He said he was healthy and well trained. And he did move well.

No worse than most UFC HWs. And Fedor outclassed him in Rizzo's world.

I'm glad he beat Rizzo.

The man has many great wins and is severely overlooked.

I mean he beat: Coleman (controversal), Kohsaka, Severn, Barnett, Arlovski, Ricco, Monson 2x, he also beat zombie Goodridge and zombie Ken.

I mean, not many HWs have this kind of winning resume.

He was mentally one of the best for sure. He was truly like water. Fedor had a lot of close fights, and was in a lot of what I call "coin flip" moments. Like that movie Any Given Sunday. We fight for every inch. Fedor got every inch. He was magical in that sense. In those moments that training cannot prepare you for. It is an empty space to create and be yourself. This moment contains all moments. Fedor excelled in those moments. Like against Arlovski. Randleman. Coleman. etc. If you give him an opportunity, he will jump on it perfectly. Like water making its way through cracks. If there is a crack, he will find it.

A main thing is that he truly believed in himself at all times. He let nature take its course. You lose, that is the way it is. He can't change that. It doesn't matter if it was meant to be, it is what is.

Well he obvious lacks some serious fight IQ running into the guard of Verdooom and trying to brawl it out with heavy handed Hendo.

Well he obvious lacks some serious fight IQ running into the guard of Verdooom and trying to brawl it out with heavy handed Hendo.

Well, it kind of worked ... until it didn't. I think Hendo said the Fedor fight is the hardest he's ever been hit.

A lot of people are forgetting that two of Fedor's three losses were against guys on TRT. Is anyone really picking non-TRT Hendo or non-TRT Bifgoot over Fedor?

Well, it kind of worked ... until it didn't. I think Hendo said the Fedor fight is the hardest he's ever been hit.

A lot of people are forgetting that two of Fedor's three losses were against guys on TRT. Is anyone really picking non-TRT Hendo or non-TRT Bifgoot over Fedor?

I dont even bother with that TRT nonsense...Fedor simply fought sloppy against Bigfoot and esp hendo

Ever since I first saw Fedor, I've felt him to be a 100% feel-based fighter. He went into dangerous guards, he stood with elite strikers, he never seemed overly concerned with gameplan and strategy as much as what is happening in the moment. I think that worked out for him because he was quick enough and had fast enough reflexes to see where advantages may be at any nanosecond. Obviously, speed and reflexes fade, leaving a gap in pure technicality. It's the athletic fighter syndrome at the very highest level.

Ever since I first saw Fedor, I've felt him to be a 100% feel-based fighter. He went into dangerous guards, he stood with elite strikers, he never seemed overly concerned with gameplan and strategy as much as what is happening in the moment. I think that worked out for him because he was quick enough and had fast enough reflexes to see where advantages may be at any nanosecond. Obviously, speed and reflexes fade, leaving a gap in pure technicality. It's the athletic fighter syndrome at the very highest level.

He obviously worked hard to be ready for any situation and def reacts very well to what his opponent does,but if you dont think him staying in nogs guards and then doing the opposite in their third fight,his punch and toss on nog there or him chasing mirko down wasnt in the cards the whole time,your crazy. He trained very specifically to do that.

I remember someone wrote a legendary post several years back in a Fedor thread - legendary in the vitriol that it incited. The guy was kind of bashing so I don't want to endorse what he said but I think he was being ernest in his assessment no matter how rude it came across. The post started with "is it me or does fedor kind of seem like a big dumb animal". He then went on to point out how fedor dresses dorky (the sweater), always has a goofy smile on his face and how he likes ice cream cones and being pen pals with other fighters etc. it was a very disrespectful way to talk about a fighter is great as fedor however the kernel of truth in it all is that he legitimately might not be the sharpest tool in the shed

He obviously worked hard to be ready for any situation and def reacts very well to what his opponent does,but if you dont think him staying in nogs guards and then doing the opposite in their third fight,his punch and toss on nog there or him chasing mirko down wasnt in the cards the whole time,your crazy. He trained very specifically to do that.

I'm crazy, I guess. I'm sure he had nuggets and highlights of strategy, maybe a few points sharpened for specific situations...but he obviously wasn't in there playing quarterback.

Back