Brace yourself...tax season is coming!!!

I work for someone else and take standard deductions. The only tough part is the buying and selling of stocks/funds/etc. but honestly nowadays almost all of that is handled easily online too. I use HR Block online and it can pull all my Etrade and Fidelity forms right into their system automatically. Very straight forward.

There is no reason to pay someone to do your taxes if you take standard deduction IMO.

Thankfully all our investments are in RRSP or TFSAs so no impact on taxes.

The painful thing here is seeing my eturn go down every year since Trudy was elected, losing income splitting, then child education/fitness credits, and finally the basic child deductions.

preview.jpg

I pay someone 150 bucks to do it. My wife is an independent contractor and works a few different jobs and has a ton of shit to write off so I don’t want to fuck anything up trying to do it on my own.

I do my own taxes, but after talking to friends, I feel like I miss out on money all the time.

It's like when you think a test is easy, and then you talk to your smart friends about it and they're talking about equations and answers you never even thought to use on the test.
Right. My tax guy was telling me about all this shit I could be doing and claiming and my mind was blown. Prob lost money over the years fucking about with turbo tax.

My wife is working on her Accounting degree so I let her handle ours.
Accounting students are worse than entry level accountants at doing taxes. Even accountants with several years of experience are known to not know what the fuck they're doing.

All for $1.25 - I wonder if I over paid by like 1 cent if I could drag it on for years and years. Or if I underpaid on purpose by 1 cent. Though I guess they'd probably get pissed and just decide to audit me.
For sure they spent way more than that mailing me letters constantly

Right. My tax guy was telling me about all this shit I could be doing and claiming and my mind was blown. Prob lost money over the years fucking about with turbo tax.
Hey pass those lessons learned! I'm trying to get this stuff right this year! Been trying to do my homework and everything.

No point in itemizing in tbe Trump era.

Another year I get to see what used to be a 8k return turned into a 2k return........ bless those Trump tax cuts.

Fuck Uncle Sam.

I am a sovereign citizen.

take the last 3 years' tax returns to an accountant to see if amending them would be worth it for you

Back