Brabo choke from back escape [Video]

ThePainFactory

I train Ninjas
@Blue
Reaction score
Thought I would do a couple videos today. Hope you enjoy. As always I love your feed back (both good and bad)

Brabo Choke From Back Mount Escape

Seems like a lot of shit has to go right for that to work.

I know a nearly identical entry from bottom deep half guard that Jeff Glover supposedly shows, but it's more realistic IMO than this one, because of how your opponent is likely to react. But I can see this working in the right situations, as there are a lot of legit entries to this choke from bottom.

Bill Cooper does this (though he doesn't pass the arm across, he just grabs the head and 'shot-puts' with his free arm to duck out of the choke as he turns in). I've seen Glover and Moura teach it as well, or variations of it.

I see it as something that can work when the opponent keeps his head close between your head and the floor to prevent you from getting your shoulders to the mat. He may very well defend by arching back, but then you are free to get your head below his, and can pursue a more traditional escape.

When you break his grip and pull the arm over, you're hanging onto his triceps which is a tight grip... But it seems nothing is stopping him from circling his elbow/forearm/wrist back and lacing up your neck. Whenever I lose the back or MG-style crucifix and my opponent's head is upright like that with his neck free, I actually let my arm go over his head to fish for such a grip... and then get up with a brutal guillotine. It looks like you're putting yourself in prime position for that sub.

Also what's to stop him from hipping out or getting to his knees/top once you remove his hooks? (his hips are not controlled)

The counter PF showing is legit but against above the white belt level , where people actually know how to control their position,good luck with that.

Bill Cooper does this (though he doesn't pass the arm across, he just grabs the head and 'shot-puts' with his free arm to duck out of the choke as he turns in). I've seen Glover and Moura teach it as well, or variations of it.

I see it as something that can work when the opponent keeps his head close between your head and the floor to prevent you from getting your shoulders to the mat. He may very well defend by arching back, but then you are free to get your head below his, and can pursue a more traditional escape.

I was coming in to say this. I like that you can work it as a normal escape with the choke as a bonus that may or may not work out.

Also what's to stop him from hipping out or getting to his knees/top once you remove his hooks? (his hips are not controlled)

Nothing. But if you've got a strong brabo/darce it shouldn't matter if they hip out or come to their knees. You'll have the ability to chase them if they hip out, or if they come up to their knees slide under them for the finish or retreat your grip to the 3/4 nelson, crank them back down, and re-lock the position.

If you see it done how Bill Cooper (Shemhazai described it above) does it, putting them in a crucifix is very very hard to do.

The counter PF showing is legit but against above the white belt level , where people actually know how to control their position,good luck with that.

Yeah it is definitely not easy, but if it's done holding the head instead of the arm like Bill Cooper and Jeff Glover have shown (Shemhazai described it above) then it's way more workable. Not to mention it's just a good general escape from the back, and you're not chasing some fancy finish.

Your boy had pretty terrible back control fundamentals. Hips tight to yours, loose floppy hooks, hiding his head behind your shoulder for some reason. He couldn't even lace up the RNC when gifted it he was so low.

Now, that doesn't necessarily impact the quality of your technique, but when I see an uke that seems to have no idea or interest in what they are doing, I do tend to question the legitimacy of the video in general.

It's a matter of professionalism, I guess. You want your partners to be competent, and you want to demonstrate solid technique even if that is not what is being highlighted.

I'm a big fan of using the opponent's head or elbows against him in general when escaping back control. If you can make it dangerous for him to commit his upper body (by keeping his head close or deepening either arm for a choke), it becomes easier to fight off his controls IMO.

When you break his grip and pull the arm over, you're hanging onto his triceps which is a tight grip... But it seems nothing is stopping him from circling his elbow/forearm/wrist back and lacing up your neck. Whenever I lose the back or MG-style crucifix and my opponent's head is upright like that with his neck free, I actually let my arm go over his head to fish for such a grip... and then get up with a brutal guillotine. It looks like you're putting yourself in prime position for that sub.

Is there a vid of what you mean?

Also, at 1:44, opponent looks like he's in a good position to swing his hips around and start working a NS choke.

I have never hit the choke but I used to hit this same style of escape from back mount all the time. I usually ended up in their half guard which is still a lot more advantageous than someone having your back.

Your boy had pretty terrible back control fundamentals. Hips tight to yours, loose floppy hooks, hiding his head behind your shoulder for some reason. He couldn't even lace up the RNC when gifted it he was so low.

Now, that doesn't necessarily impact the quality of your technique, but when I see an uke that seems to have no idea or interest in what they are doing, I do tend to question the legitimacy of the video in g
It's a matter of professionalism, I guess. You want your partners to be competent, and you want to demonstrate solid technique even if that is not what is being highlighted.

I understand what you're saying and have I felt the same way before. The young man in the video is Ryan he lost his mother to brain cancer earlier this year and is fathers has never been in the picture. He hasn't been trying very long, but being a part of these videos gives him something to look forward to.

I understand what you're saying and have I felt the same way before. The young man in the video is Ryan he lost his mother to brain cancer earlier this year and is fathers has never been in the picture. He hasn't been trying very long, but being a part of these videos gives him something to look forward to.

For sure. I think that's awesome you're getting him involved then if he is having a tough time. Everyone needs support. I wasn't trying to cause offense or insult anyones skill. Just pointing out that from an objective viewpoint, it impacts the impression your video gives.

Maybe go over with him the concepts that he should be displaying, and even a bit of a 'story board' or chronology of what the video will entail. You taking his hands and placing them where you want them is far less ideal than you saying "When he attacks/counters like this..." followed by him snapping to it in a smooth, technical way.

It all comes down to, I need to believe that the technique being demonstrated will work on another grappler who knows what he is doing. Otherwise it starts to look like a "Grab my wrist, the other wrist, my other wrist..." type situation.

That all said, I think that this is a pretty cool entry to the choke that I have not actually seen before. I have always been very cautious with extending my arms out while defending the back, but I might start to look at alternative options such as this.

Back