1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Boxing With Elbows

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by AndyMaBobs, Jun 10, 2017.

1. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Talking Nathan Corbett style here.

I'm an alright boxer with hands, but I'd like to get decent at moving and countering with elbows the same way you see guys like Corbett do.

I think I've got good elbow technique just standing there and throwing them coming forward, but when it comes to countering with elbows, so far I just take a punching counter and replace it with an elbow.

Any other advice on how I could git gud at this technique?

[​IMG]

Sano likes this.
  2. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

Stop trying to avoid the kicking game! You are embarrassing the Thais you've trained under!

AndyMaBobs and j123 like this.
  3. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Brown Belt

You have to work counters and combinations with them on the mitts to get used to the range and the timing.

of course also flow with knees and elbows on a bag, I like using a teardrop or wrecking ball.

4. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

kicking is for cans

@ARIZE

[​IMG]

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  5. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

I'm working on it dude! Most of my 1 to 1s are dedicated to improving my kick :D

6. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Yeah... it is for cans. If kicking were for real athletes then Miguel Cotto would be doing wheel kicks

Uchi Mata and j123 like this.
  7. ARIZE

ARIZE Blue Belt

At least, this time, he's talking about elbows...I guess that's some kind of improvement...probably...

You think you can bait me so easily? You have to pump up your troll game a lot more... See how Andy manage to get on my nerves? He has created a persona just to troll me: A MT fighter who prefers punches to the other techniques.
    He build his character around that nonsense, and post some "serious" questions/explanations around that theme. He then pm's you and other people like Sano to help him annoy me...

We usually say there are 3 striking ranges for MT.
    Kicking
    Punching
    Clinch/elbows

However it's not so simple. The range for a teep, or a roundhouse to the liver are not the same. The range for a long jab is not the same as for an uppercut.
    But the range for elbows of any kind, is the same. What varies is the way you will get in that distance.
    The 3 main ways are:
    -You are already in it.
    -You enter.
    -You let the opponent enter.

Already in it, its the clinch game. Entering or breaking the clinch, or the clinch it self. It's not what you ask so i wont bother with it.

When you enter, in most of the case, it's a move you have decide to do, and not just a reaction. So you have to set it up. The first video you posted is exactly that.
    He feints a strike by raising his front knee, makes his opponent react, and use it to hide an entry to the clinching range to throw the elbow. All the job was done by the raising knee.
    I don't know what he did before, but he probably set up this combo with throwing a few times a kick/knee that made his opponent conditioned to that reaction.

The second gift is the "waiting for your opponent to enter" kind of elbows. He closes the distance too, but the first step in, is done buy his opponent.
    When you let the opponent enter and you want to counter with an elbow, there are two possibilities. Either you know what his going to do, (because he throws the same combo) and you know you have an opening for an elbow counter
    or, it's just a reaction to an opening you see. For that to happen you must spend a lot of time drilling your elbows to specific cues. My advise is to find 1 or 2 strikes that you find easy for you to counter with an elbow, and drill only those.
    Don't try to counter a lot of different strikes with the elbow. In my opinion you should concentrate on only 1 or 2 strikes and drill them to death until you react instinctivly to them the way you want. (if you had spend your training time doing that, instead of punching, we wont be having this conversation now)

Since you want to counter, meaning that you have to get past through a strike of your opponent, you got to understand what type of strikes are dangerous for you (unless you are to fast for his strikes to reach you before you are in). If you walk into a piercing knee, you wont be able to catch him with an elbow.
    The straight strikes are a lot more dangerous than the ones coming from the side when you try to close the distance. It's the same principle with entering the clinch.

I personally prefer straight line attack elbows (when there is a closing the distance action), than sided ones for 2 main reasons. With the entry (either yours or the opponent), you get more power from the momentum with a straight strike. You will lose some of that added force when you try to rotate your torso.
    And also, if you miss, you may find your self in a very bad position, with bad balance, inside the clinch of your opponent...

I believe the easiest strike to counter with an elbow, is the hook. But it's not something I'm too experienced with. I throw mostly elbows from inside the clinch range, with hand traps to open the target. And mostly the sideways one with some upper ones. I don't throw all the other fancy ones.
    Spinning elbows are another good way for catching people while closing the distance and are easily hided behind punches (since it's something you insist doing)...(wrongfully)...(and shamefully)

ssullivan80 and AndyMaBobs like this.
  8. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

I'm nostradamus as well, I knew you'd join the thread a few months after me - so I predicted what you'd hate the most.

Also thanks for the advice! Are there any other strikes you think are worth focussing on countering with the hellbows?

9. ARIZE

ARIZE Blue Belt

The first months, you just lay the bait to see who will join to counter your claims...

Probably the step in low kick. Specially if he doesn't lean back with it. But most of the experienced fighter wont throw it when you're in a position to counter.
    It's not something i work on, so others may probably have better ideas. I think you should fool around with some ideas in light sparing, find something you think will blend with your style, ask your kru if its worth working on it, ask about the dangers, and just concentrate on that.

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  10. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

It's like fishing y'know. There's an art to it.

Time to get me some elbow pads, better to be safe than that gym douche!

11. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

This guy knows where its at

12. j123

@AndyMaBobs is secretly Payak

13. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

I DO have board shorts.

14. j123

[​IMG]

AndyMaBobs likes this.