Boxing with BiPolar?

I thought Valero was murdered in prison?

I used to watch him sparring, incredible power for such a light guy.

You didn't watch him fight?

He wasn't murdered, he hung himself because he killed his wife.

You didn't watch him fight?

He wasn't murdered, he hung himself because he killed his wife.

Have seen him fight also, but the intensity of the sparring stands out in my mind, may as well have been a fight.

Valero was one of those guys (like Gamboa) who treated sparring as if it was a for real fight. All-out, 100%. Which also likely didn't help with his brain issues. Saw it first-hand when we trained at Top Rank at the same time. Dude was intense, but for my purposes, swell guy.

The Thing about psychiatrist's is that they're not trying to get down to the root cause of why you suffer from Bipolar Disorder. They are just doing what they are trained to do, give you a diagnosis and prescribe you some pills. Psychiatry has the understanding that Bipolar Disorder is a chemical imbalance in the brain, which is simply wrong. Yes, there are people who have a chemical imbalance, in which case trauma to the head probably would not be a good idea. It really depends on the nature of YOUR condition though. If you would like to share, then I think I can help. You can PM if you want... I researched a lot into this topic because I was diagnosed with it and had bad experiences dealing with doctors. I also happen to compete professionally as well in MMA, to answer your original post.

Thank you, great to hear, maybe you have found some of the alternative medicines I'm researching? PM coming.

Well guys I decided today I'm not going to quit.

Yeah, Ibeabuchi and Tyson have a family History of mental issues. Their situations are congenital. However, if the brain is firing wrong, usually adding trauma to the equation isn't going to make the situation any better.

Very true.

I'll just give an honest answer to OP. I've had depression for the better part of 8 years. Training in Muay Thai helped me find something to give me focus when other things hadn't been working out for me.

There is a risk, just like there's a risk for everyone to take up boxing, and the risk is real. You need to accept that and make sure you personally are okay with taking up the risk of boxing in general, as well as taking it up as a person who is mentally unwell (and I mean that with the most respect possible). Sinister is right, there is a risk, but it's your choice to make it might be good for you in the long run, it might not, you'll never know if its for you until you lace up the gloves. Best of luck.

When training on medication did you notice any difference in your chin? Might be too long for you to remember. I ask because I have been hitting my chin a little the past couple days and it seems to give me a feeling in my head I don't remember.

I think it's an advantage. So many fighters head hunt and don't appreciate the value of switching between high and low.

I think it's an advantage. So many fighters head hunt and don't appreciate the value of switching between high and low.

samuel%20l%20jackson%20playboy.jpg

When training on medication did you notice any difference in your chin? Might be too long for you to remember. I ask because I have been hitting my chin a little the past couple days and it seems to give me a feeling in my head I don't remember.

I wouldn't be able to tell you tbh, I've never used medication and I've never been hit super hard (I'm really active defensively and I don't tend to hard spar regularly without a helmet) so I have no clue about my chin. I can't imagine it would do anything though.

OP - Training with Bipolar 1 since 2011

The biggest thing I've found is that the medication (lithium, valproate, lamotogine, seroquel etc) means less cardio than others, also that at times training too much and at other times training being the absolute last thing you would think about.

I have found training one of the really good things to keep you grounded when things get a little out of hand

don't stop training, the benefits will far outweigh the negatives IMO

OP - Training with Bipolar 1 since 2011

The biggest thing I've found is that the medication (lithium, valproate, lamotogine, seroquel etc) means less cardio than others, also that at times training too much and at other times training being the absolute last thing you would think about.

I have found training one of the really good things to keep you grounded when things get a little out of hand

don't stop training, the benefits will far outweigh the negatives IMO

Thanks for your perspective. I think lithium is awful and I'm going to go off of it again. Planning on staying on abilify for long term maintenance to prevent a manic episode. You'd think cardio can always be improved, though. My concern in sparring tonight was overall aggressiveness but my coaches just said it looked like I wasn't pumping my jab enough and like I was out of shape. So I'm hopeful that it's just a matter of me being in the hospital for a month doing nothing that has set me back and I'll see myself rise again to a high, competitive level.

Boxing started me on my path to recovery from chronic anxiety attacks in my early teens.

The Thing about psychiatrist's is that they're not trying to get down to the root cause of why you suffer from Bipolar Disorder. They are just doing what they are trained to do, give you a diagnosis and prescribe you some pills. Psychiatry has the understanding that Bipolar Disorder is a chemical imbalance in the brain, which is simply wrong. Yes, there are people who have a chemical imbalance, in which case trauma to the head probably would not be a good idea. It really depends on the nature of YOUR condition though. If you would like to share, then I think I can help. You can PM if you want... I researched a lot into this topic because I was diagnosed with it and had bad experiences dealing with doctors. I also happen to compete professionally as well in MMA, to answer your original post.

My wife is BP she is 42 around 175cm 89kg and she is going to start boxing training next Tuesday. Could please tell me if there is anything that she souldnt do in training

Cheers

Back