Boxing with BiPolar?

Kenjamito

Freakin Covid
@Blue
Reaction score
Wondering if any competitors have been affected with Bipolar disorder?

In the History of competitors, there's probably a long list of them. I think Tyson was diagnosed with that.

In the History of competitors, there's probably a long list of them. I think Tyson was diagnosed with that.

Interesting. My doctor said that because of my bipolar diagnosis that I prolly shouldn't be boxing, and the reason why I want to box in the first place is because I am bipolar.

90% of doctors will tell you not to box.

Bipolar disorder shouldn't prevent you from boxing. Whether your doctor said that because of some fragile emotional state that you're going through, or simply because of boxing-ignorance, I don't know. If it's the former then it's worth looking at with introspection to decide if you could handle competition and if that's the right thing for you. Certainly, a sport and learning a new skill can help many people with mental health difficulties.

Interesting. My doctor said that because of my bipolar diagnosis that I prolly shouldn't be boxing, and the reason why I want to box in the first place is because I am bipolar.

Exercise is one of the best methods for dealing with Depression (i.e. the low part of bipolar). The manic side (i.e. the high part of bipolar) can be effectively channelled into the fitness aspects of training, as opposed to the negative impulsive behaviours of drugs/sex/risky behaviour. Alot of mental illness isn't about finding a cure (because that is rarely the case), but about finding a functional relationship with your mental illness. For example, someone with an anxiety disorder, like OCD, may find a very successful career in OH&S. It is relatively common for Borderline Personality Disordered patients to come from a very high achieving background in their youth (e.g. state athletics champ, high school dux). Anorexia and Exercise addiction have very similar mechanisms but one is devoted in a very negative way whilst the other can have some negative consequences but could be argued as being necessary for high level athletes.

If you find boxing helps your lows and you can focus your highs into the productive method of training, then keep doing it. Accept that bipolar is a part of you and you will never truely get rid of it but you can learn to utilise it intelligently and still lead a full productive life.

90% of doctors will tell you not to box.

Bipolar disorder shouldn't prevent you from boxing. Whether your doctor said that because of some fragile emotional state that you're going through, or simply because of boxing-ignorance, I don't know. If it's the former then it's worth looking at with introspection to decide if you could handle competition and if that's the right thing for you. Certainly, a sport and learning a new skill can help many people with mental health difficulties.

Might have to do with that head-trauma can exacerbate mental fragility. It is a legitimate concern, just ask Ike Ibeabuchi, or anyone who knew Edwin Valero (I mention Edwin because he was essentially boxing when he probably shouldn't have been medically licensed to).

Might have to do with that head-trauma can exacerbate mental fragility. It is a legitimate concern, just ask Ike Ibeabuchi, or anyone who knew Edwin Valero (I mention Edwin because he was essentially boxing when he probably shouldn't have been medically licensed to).

But he could at least train and spar only rarely and light or even not at all.

And about Valero what was wrong with him?

Came here to say this. Train, hit mitts, do your road work, skip rope, bag work, foot work, etc. have fun, burn calories, set goals, and make friends. Sparring is a bad idea though.

I've seen fighters with similar disorders go from bad to worse.

But he could at least train and spar only rarely and light or even not at all.

And about Valero what was wrong with him?

He could train, for sure. Taking punches depends on the nature of the condition.

Valero was in a motorcycle accident that by all accounts left him with a hole in his sjull. He maintained they covered it (either with plastic or metal), but there was no medical record of it. His behavior outside the ring got more and more erratic over time until he killed his wife, then killed himself.

Charlie Zelenoff became the GOAT with this as well as many other mental disorders.

He could train, for sure. Taking punches depends on the nature of the condition.

Valero was in a motorcycle accident that by all accounts left him with a hole in his sjull. He maintained they covered it (either with plastic or metal), but there was no medical record of it. His behavior outside the ring got more and more erratic over time until he killed his wife, then killed himself.

It should be noted that, acquired mental illness from head trauma is the exception to the rule. Mental illness usually presents when someone has the biological disposition (look for family history) for it and then is exposed to situational circumstances (e.g. trauma, neglect). Mental illness for most people, but probably not fighters, is not caused by damage to the brain but due to specific rewiring of the brain. Of course, if cognition, behaviour and/or personality changes after a concussion or a series of concussions then you should avoid circumstances where concusions are a realistic possibility (like martial arts) until you have been medically cleared.

Just something to consider, often mental illness gets misdiagnosed. Bipolar and Borderline Personality Disorder can have very similar symptomology. But Bipolar tends to be more biologically caused; just your body's natural ryhtmns are more extreme. BPD tends to be caused more by relational stimuli; you are particularly sensitive to appraisal from others. BPD often gets misdiagnosed as Bipolar because bipolar is easier to diagnose. If someone is going to let their mental illness dictate what activities they can or can't do, then they owe it to themselves to get a second opinion and seek effective treatments.

These are just somethings to consider.

Yeah, Ibeabuchi and Tyson have a family History of mental issues. Their situations are congenital. However, if the brain is firing wrong, usually adding trauma to the equation isn't going to make the situation any better.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ibeabuchi and Tyson have a family History of mental issues. Their sutations are congenital. However, if the brain is firing wrong, usually adding trauma to the equation isn't going to make the situation any better.

You might as well be a psychiatrist, because this is basically what one mentioned to me.

The thing that bothers me with psychiatry is it is such an inexact science.

Well, I'm not one...and at the end of the day its your choice. But in boxing the risk has proven real. That's all I'm saying.

Damn i didn't know about the hole in the head some fighters are really a bit complicated to say the least.

Btw what do you think about Jermain Taylor? I think you made a thread about an ex boxer you knew who went crazy do you thinkt he same thing is happening to taylor now?
Because he went from not having much negative press to shooting guns randomly, shooting a person and seems really really off in videos he puts online.

I hope he gets help and it's sad he was a pretty good champion and stayed in the game too long despite him having nothing to prove and then the Froch Ko and the Abraham Ko, his brain bleeding and him still having fought on

I thought Valero was murdered in prison?

I used to watch him sparring, incredible power for such a light guy.

You might as well be a psychiatrist, because this is basically what one mentioned to me.

The thing that bothers me with psychiatry is it is such an inexact science.

The Thing about psychiatrist's is that they're not trying to get down to the root cause of why you suffer from Bipolar Disorder. They are just doing what they are trained to do, give you a diagnosis and prescribe you some pills. Psychiatry has the understanding that Bipolar Disorder is a chemical imbalance in the brain, which is simply wrong. Yes, there are people who have a chemical imbalance, in which case trauma to the head probably would not be a good idea. It really depends on the nature of YOUR condition though. If you would like to share, then I think I can help. You can PM if you want... I researched a lot into this topic because I was diagnosed with it and had bad experiences dealing with doctors. I also happen to compete professionally as well in MMA, to answer your original post.

He's a gym manager, coach and trainer which means a Lotta time spent helping fighters keep their turds in a herd.

Why do you think they call all the old timers in boxing gyms "doc"?

Fought an autistic kid once who refused to be beaten by a non-signature move. Had to apply a Kurt Angle ankle lock on him after the Stone Cold Stunner. (Unfortunately I am not joking about any part of this.)

Back