Boxing & Weights

Curtis Gibbs

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Hello Guys

Im an amatuer boxer and I lift weights alot, along with tons of conditioning.
I do the 5x5 routine 3 times a week

Sunday -
Bench Press
Squats
Bent over Rows
Lunges ( 15x3 )

Tuesday
Deadlift
Military Press
Chinups

Thursday
Bench Press
Squats
Bent over Rows
Lunges ( 15x3 )

My step dad is a black belt in shotokan karate (JKA) and Hida Tuka Nishyama gave him all his belts. He is telling me that this weight routine is just gonna make me slow and unflexible, but i tell him its just a old myth that has been proven wrong. I tell him it will get me very explosive and will give me great KO power, who is correct here? dont forget, I do 5 rounds of heavy bag a day, 100+ burpees, and spar atleast 5 rounds every day, and alot more conditioning and usually skip. Who is correct here?

you are. if you only lift weights and don't practice the actual boxing part of it, than your dad is right.

You didnt mention stretching. It is important to stretch after lifting heavy, or you can lose flexibility, which will in turn make you slower. other than that, you are correct

Bruce Lee lifted weights, he also also timed his weight lifting to do it in a shorter amount of time because he believed it increased his speed- doing the reps faster.

You should check out some of the Bruce Lee training books that are out. Lee's speed and power of course is legendary and he was a big advocate of weight lifting and conditioning. He also gave different and very specific workouts and training methods.

Most boxers avoid weights and are against them.

Really, the trick is to lift them for strength instead of mass.

I would advise kettlebells. But it depends on your objectives. For all I know, you really want to look good for ladies first and foremost.

Hello Guys

Sunday -
Bench Press
Squats
Bent over Rows
Lunges ( 15x3 )

Tuesday
Deadlift
Military Press
Chinups

Thursday
Bench Press
Squats
Bent over Rows
Lunges ( 15x3 )

My step dad is a black belt in shotokan karate (JKA) and Hida Tuka Nishyama gave him all his belts. He is telling me that this weight routine is just gonna make me slow and unflexible, but i tell him its just a old myth that has been proven wrong. I tell him it will get me very explosive and will give me great KO power, who is correct here? dont forget, I do 5 rounds of heavy bag a day, 100+ burpees, and spar atleast 5 rounds every day, and alot more conditioning and usually skip. Who is correct here?

Your father is right. You aren't doing any elasticity exercises or anything that will create explosiveness. As it is you are doing the high school football routine and its going to screw you up. Try some full body work like cleans, step up lunges(high box lunges) etc. The conditioning is good but the way I see most people train, you are just working cardio, not hand speed or explosiveness. Being able to jog for five miles and able to skip rope 20 minutes doesn't mean you aren't slow as hell and non functional. Shit, Bubba Franks can do that and I would never bet on him to win a fight. :icon_chee Sorry man, but I'd listen to your dad. You gotta respect the experience.

Bruce Lee lifted weights, he also also timed his weight lifting to do it in a shorter amount of time because he believed it increased his speed- doing the reps faster.

You should check out some of the Bruce Lee training books that are out. Lee's speed and power of course is legendary and he was a big advocate of weight lifting and conditioning. He also gave different and very specific workouts and training methods.

He also switched out his regimen almost every week because he wasn't a big fan of lifting weights, just the idea of lifting. Lucky for him, he was so active it worked out just fine for him.

Most boxers avoid weights and are against them.

Really, the trick is to lift them for strength instead of mass.

I would advise kettlebells. But it depends on your objectives. For all I know, you really want to look good for ladies first and foremost.

The difference between strength and MASS is down to eating habits as well. You can get stronger without getting BIGGER and you can also get stronger and also bigger.

Kettleballs aren't needed, just use dumbells?

When you lift, make sure you focus on lifting the weight EXPLOSIVELY. This will give you the maximum benefits. Don't try and argue with the science, I don't really know what most of these posters are going on about.

When you lift, make sure you focus on lifting the weight EXPLOSIVELY. This will give you the maximum benefits.

Take this advice here...you can also probably add circuit training with lighter weights and/or complexes.

Hello Guys

Truth is, your both right...... Not every athlete, in any sport, can rely on a "proven" training method...... The only "proven" way to win fights is simple......DONT LOSE!

Try to vary up your training as much as you can, use a punch counter during a 2 minute round and throw as many punches as you can, without sacrificing your technique. Do this enough you get a general idea of how many punches your averaging. Then try some different forms/routines of conditioning/lifting/etc for a couple of weeks and try to gauge your progress, eventually you will find what works best for you! Good luck!

P.S: The "high school football lifting routine" is always said to be in-effective for MMA or pure speed...... Go checkout Melvin Guillard's workout...... I would hardly call him slow! Can't stand the guy though!

Lifting weights is fine as long as you're not taking the time away from skill work and sparring. Personally, I find it difficult to recover from 3 lifting days in additiong to a full boxing schedule, but props if you can do it. A 2 day with the lifting sessions as far away from each other in the week as possible has worked well for me:

Day 1: Monday or Tuesday
Clean variation OR Deadlift variation
Dynamic rows OR dynamic shrugs
GPP & Grip Work

Day 2: Friday or Saturday
Squat Variation
Push Press or Push Jerk
Weighted Chins
GPP & Grip Work

He also switched out his regimen almost every week because he wasn't a big fan of lifting weights, just the idea of lifting. Lucky for him, he was so active it worked out just fine for him.

Wasn't a big fan of lifting weights?

He talked very highly of it and was seen strength training all the time. But of course he said you have to balance it out with endurance, cardio, and stretching.

But he did always switch regimens and also did isometrics.

EDIT: Here's a quick piece with a Bruce Lee quote and some light workouts

http://www.bruce-lee.ws/training.html

IMO whatever works for you. Some people respond better to 5X5 routines (like I do) and some people respond better to higher reps lower weight, or just bodyweight exercises.

You have to figure out what works best for you. I've tried just bodyweight, and higher reps lower weight, but they didn't work for me. I do 5X5, but I also do a lot of conditioning and stretching like the Ross boxing article says and it works amazing for me.

Back