Boxing wars or MMA wars?

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Which is more exciting to watch (generally speaking of course). A back and forth MMA fight, or a back and forth boxing match?

Notable MMA wars:

Forrest V Bonner (1)
Chuck Liddel V Wanderlei Silva
BJ Penn V Joe Stevenson
Anderson Silva VS Chael Sonnen
BJ Penn V GSP
Dan Henderson V Shogun
Diego Sanchez V Clay Guida

Notable Boxing wars:

Sugar Ray Leonard VS Tommy Hearns
Lennox Lewis VS Klitschko
Mohammed Ali VS Joe Frazier (1)
Marvin Hagler VS Tommy Hearns
Gatti VS Ward
Thrilla in Manilla
Mohammed Ali VS George Foreman

Im not comparing the 2 lists together of course. Maybe I shouldn't have added the lists at all. Boxing has been around a lot longer. And I know I left some classic fights out. Just in general, which amps you up more, a boxing war or an MMA war?

Discuss

Boxing, by far, because it is clean and perfected, fast and beautiful. Watching back and forth MMA is rarely anything beautiful. It is more like a display of what the guys don't know, and how it would be nice if they were better at - whatever - range it is they are stuck at. Sometimes it is entertaining on the ground, but really only if you know enough BJJ to follow it.

Boxing but summer striker really hit the nail on the head
your boxing list is a little flimsy t.s. if you havent seen it you should watch james toney vs mike mccallum 1, any of their 3 fights are good but those were wars between two really good technicians

wish there was a show for mma, similar to legendary nights

vote boxing

Boxing

although your list of Boxing wars is suspect
Pacquaio v Marquez 4 was good
Prince v Kelley was action packed and short = War

Boxing

although your list of Boxing wars is suspect
Pacquaio v Marquez 4 was good
Prince v Kelley was action packed and short = War

The list were just examples. If I listed every boxing war, I'd never log off.

Boxing, by far, because it is clean and perfected, fast and beautiful. Watching back and forth MMA is rarely anything beautiful. It is more like a display of what the guys don't know, and how it would be nice if they were better at - whatever - range it is they are stuck at. Sometimes it is entertaining on the ground, but really only if you know enough BJJ to follow it.

I agree with this. However I will say, I would much rather watch the worlds most boring MMA fight, then sit through a mind numbing 12 round boxing match.

I agree with this. However I will say, I would much rather watch the worlds most boring MMA fight, then sit through a mind numbing 12 round boxing match.

whats "mind numbing" about seeing two top of the line martial artits who are masters of the craft throw everything they have at each other and try there very best to defeat each other?
maybe its just me but i thought thats why we all got into this martial arts stuff

whats "mind numbing" about seeing two top of the line martial artits who are masters of the craft throw everything they have at each other and try there very best to defeat each other?
maybe its just me but i thought thats why we all got into this martial arts stuff

SUrely it's because i am a big wanderlei fan but my favourite is Wanderlei vs Stann.

Boxing has greater wars in my opinion but wanderlei is wanderlei.

is that supposed to be ironic i dont see whats just bleed about mccallum vs toney
or whitaker vs chavez, pintor vs gomez, inoue vs taguchi
just bleed is more along the lines of williams vs sosa

or anything i said in my post that is just bleed worthy?

The best MMA wars encompass all aspects of MMA

Gsp vs Fitch
Condit vs Macdonald
Pettis vs Bendo 1
Dunham vs Grant
Hendricks vs Condit
Brown vs Mein

None of these fights could remotely be classified as sloppy.

is that supposed to be ironic i dont see whats just bleed about mccallum vs toney
or whitaker vs chavez, pintor vs gomez, inoue vs taguchi
just bleed is more along the lines of williams vs sosa

or anything i said in my post that is just bleed worthy?

Ironic.

I have to try harder

The answer is obviously Muay Thai, Jongsanaan vs Sakmonkol to be exact!

In boxing, Benn vs McClellan is a fantastic war that isn't talked about because of the tragic outcome.

I like both sports, but I think I enjoy MMA wars bit more, maybe because of the diversity. I love to see kicks, knees and elbows thrown there too. My own list would probably be something like this

Cub Swanson vs Mackens Semerzier

Spencer Fisher vs Sam Stout 2

Matt Grice vs Dennis Bermudez

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 2

etc

But maybe I enjoy kickboxing / thai boxing wars most. Recent Maximo Suarez vs Miodrag Olar was a hell of a fight, one of my favorites of the year.

Back