Boxing vs MT

yo

The bobbing and gay shoulder rolling won't be that effective with a Muay Thai Fighter, that is why Boxers lose to Muay Thai Fighters cuz they got 2 F16s ( Low and Body Kicks ), 2 Tanks ( Knees ) and 2 Choppers, now you make the choice.

Boxing is so freaking overrated.

p.s: I love boxing but I don't like when people make this kind of lame comparisons.

Huh....... Funny you say that, most of Buakaw's losses came at the hands of superior boxers, Souwer and Kraus (who started as a boxer). Truth is, traditional MT fighters have trouble competing in European Rules or K1 rules kickboxing because they consistently get outboxed! Same is true in MMA, superior boxers and superior boxing wins fights on the feet more often than any other striking technique. Boxers beat MT fighters far more often than the otherwise in all aspects of ring-sports, the exception being traditional MT (Lumpini rules) competition, which i dont imagine many boxers have ever competed in........

As for the bobbing and weaving and "gay shoulder rolling", explain to James Toney, Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Mike Tyson and a whole host of Hall of Fame Fighters that it is ineffective....... Or explain the same to Anderson Silva, Cain V, Bj Penn, Rampage, Rashad Evans, etc.... who all use the bob n weave and shoulder roll and it seems rather effective....... eh? There is this other guy who uses the bob n weave pretty well, Fedor!:icon_neut

here ya go.

Noguiera = Shoulder roll, counter KTFO! (there are about 4 different clips that show him shoulder roll and counter)

Or bob n weave, here ya go...... Watch the highlight at the end against Chuck, or against Marvin Eastman

Last edited:
Perhaps start with Muay Thai. It will cover more bases - you'll have a better 'sense' of more areas (hand, kicks, clinch, other strikes).

When you go into boxing (which is an extremely important thing to do) you'll be learning your head-movement, how to sit down on your punches, etc with the knowledge/sense of some the other things you'll face in MMA, and thus your understanding will be inbuilt in your boxing foundation.

The same applies to Boxers who try to do MMA; bobbing and weaving in an MMA fight will set you up to eat a knee and get KTFO

I strongly disagree with you.

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but do you know what bobbing, weaving or slipping looks like?

Maybe you've seen a bad display of this technique in a fight? If you can use this technique effectively it would make it more difficult to get hit. It's better than a stationary target.

Huh....... Funny you say that, most of Buakaw's losses came at the hands of superior boxers, Souwer and Kraus (who started as a boxer). T

Good call, plus he lost very badly to Masato in their 2nd fight and Masato started as a boxer as well.

Buakaw got his ass whooped by strictly punches in that fight.

Back when I was training kickboxing/mt I found the guys with strong boxing were by far the hardest to go against.

But here's the thing -
Go to a fighter's gym and all you will hear is respect for both sports.

you talk like that cuz you have never eaten a Knee that resembles a Tank, a Fast High Kick that will be a Sniper or Middle and Low Kicks which will look like you got bombed by an F 16.

The bobbing and gay shoulder rolling won't be that effective with a Muay Thai Fighter, that is why Boxers lose to Muay Thai Fighters cuz they got 2 F16s ( Low and Body Kicks ), 2 Tanks ( Knees ) and 2 Choppers, now you make the choice.

p.s: I love boxing but I don't like when people make this kind of lame comparisons.

Oh dear lord this was painfully dumb.

"The same applies to Boxers who try to do MMA; bobbing and weaving in an MMA fight will set you up to eat a knee and get KTFO"

Have you ever seen Eddie Wineland in the WEC? You will change your mind quick.

"Boxing is so freaking overrated".
Which is why many MMA fighters are now paying so much attention to their boxing skills.
Yeah go get 'em champ.

It's amazing how many knowledgeable muay thai masters there on here. There must be a thai gym on ever block producing these beasts.

you talk like that cuz you have never eaten a Knee that resembles a Tank, a Fast High Kick that will be a Sniper or Middle and Low Kicks which will look like you got bombed by an F 16.

I like this post for some reason. made me laugh, thank you sturm.

boxing vs mt? as in who really cares about what sport?

thats comparing high school badminton to high school football. no one gives a shit about the sport of muay thai.

thats comparing high school badminton to high school football. no one gives a shit about the sport of muay thai.

Uh no micky goldmill the Op was asking about which art is abetter base for MMA.

Yeah, it's just the national sport of the country of Thailand, a major influence on the sport of kickboxing, and the dominant striking art in MMA (which is obviously one of the fastest growing sports in the world).

Tool.

Whats with all the disrespect of styles left and right on here? If it's not some muay thai fan boy on here its some runt teenager with a mickey goldmill persona or even better a wing chun wierdo telling everyone how to kick .

If you think a guys and asswipe just tell him hes one but ragging on whatever he practices is just ignorant mang.

n113971181969308_7671.jpg

Whats with all the disrespect of styles left and right on here?
Like I said earlier, go to a fighter's gym and all you will hear is respect for boths sports.

Huh....... Funny you say that, most of Buakaw's losses came at the hands of superior boxers, Souwer and Kraus (who started as a boxer). Truth is, traditional MT fighters have trouble competing in European Rules or K1 rules kickboxing because they consistently get outboxed! Same is true in MMA, superior boxers and superior boxing wins fights on the feet more often than any other striking technique. Boxers beat MT fighters far more often than the otherwise in all aspects of ring-sports, the exception being traditional MT (Lumpini rules) competition, which i dont imagine many boxers have ever competed in........

As for the bobbing and weaving and "gay shoulder rolling", explain to James Toney, Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Mike Tyson and a whole host of Hall of Fame Fighters that it is ineffective....... Or explain the same to Anderson Silva, Cain V, Bj Penn, Rampage, Rashad Evans, etc.... who all use the bob n weave and shoulder roll and it seems rather effective....... eh? There is this other guy who uses the bob n weave pretty well, Fedor!

here ya go.

Noguiera = Shoulder roll, counter KTFO! (there are about 4 different clips that show him shoulder roll and counter)

I agree with alot of what you have to say- slipping, shoulder rolling, and to some extent bobbing + weaving can be used in MMA, but not the same as it is in straight boxing. Special consideration has to be given to knees, kicks, elbows, & takedowns, lest you eat a knee/ kick.

HOWEVER. Saying that straight boxers do better in K-1 & MMA rules is a harsh over- generalization.

Of course Thai's have to adapt to rulesets like that of K-1, where the clinch striking is severely limited, and theres much more emphasis on range striking. Buakaw has improved his hands since debuting, but that didn't stop him from dominating with his kicks & brutal clinch knees when he first hit the K1 MAX scene.

Now, if you're hypothesizing that boxers do better in K1 than Thais, you would be making a statement that isn't supported by empirical data. Francois Botha is probably the best boxer, most reasonably within his athletic prime to ever do decently well in K-1, and his only real quality win was over JLB, who has always been best with his hands. Anyone who could really kick worth a damn beat Francois, Aerts not withstanding.

As for your assertion that Boxers do better than Nak Muays in combat sports in general, again, empirical evidence disagrees. Show me a fight where a boxer type striker outstrikes a MT type striker, and i'll show you 5 where the opposite result happens. Cantwell/ Stann 2, Aldo vs. Brown/ Gamburyan, Edgar/ Penn 2, Feijao/ Mo, etc etc ad nauseam.

K-1 style rules emphasize kicks and punches (as well as knees from a distance/ a 1 handed clinch, I guess...); in MMA, the hands do receive a bit more emphasis because of takedowns and the smaller gloves, but if you're not prepared to at least defend kicks/ knees/ elbows (as straight BOXING will not prepare you for the 8 points of Muay Thai.

Like I said earlier, go to a fighter's gym and all you will hear is respect for boths sports.

True When i was at Grudge fight gym i never heard anyone make fun of any martial art. Hell they were more curious than anything if someone knew something different.

Stuff like that makes me wonder about the people on here.:rolleyes:

True When i was at Grudge fight gym i never heard anyone make fun of any martial art. Hell they were more curious than anything if someone knew something different.
Picking someone's brains apart to learn something new that may improve your game is great.

I've worked with boxers and MT dudes preparing for fights and stand in awe of both.

Muay thai is a stable strike base to take into MMA. Either way you go you surely will have to modify your stances,throwing tech,defense etc etc to guard against the take downs. I love boxing and have done it for so long but I appreciate the technical attributes I learn doing muay thai. good luck

Stuff like that makes me wonder about the people on here.:rolleyes:

NO. THERE IS ONLY ONE RIGHT ART AND IT IS, COINCIDENTALLY, THE ART THAT I CHOSE. ALL OTHER ARTS ARE INFERIOR WHY DON'T YOU REALIZE THIS ARRRRRRGH

i've seen a few of the fighters at my gym make fun of TKD, but it seems pretty good-natured, and considering we're in korea i'm pretty sure they all studied it at some point.

Back