1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Boxing vs MT

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by GoonLife, Oct 31, 2010.

1. GoonLife

GoonLife White Belt

I'm wondering which style is a better base for MMA and general stand up fighting. I plan to participate in both eventually but I only have the resources to train in one right now. Boxing would train me to have better hands, footwork, and head movement but Muay Thai would teach me better kicking clinching and I would learn how to fight with similar rules to MMA stand up. Right now I'm leaning towards boxing because it seems like it would be easier to make the transition from a boxing base to Muay Thai and MMA and give me an advantage a lot of people don't have but I guess I could be wrong.

2. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

It doesn't matter that a gym is boxing or muay thai what matters is it GOOD boxing or GOOD muay thai. Do a trial at both gyms and make your decision on how good the instruction is, and what style you adapt to more naturally. You'll only have an advantage with boxing if you're actually good at it. Pretty much everyone in MMA trains boxing at their gyms.

3. TZP

TZP White Belt

If you want to do mma, then you should train muay thai. You don't want to get into mma and be unfamiliar with kicks, knees, elbows and clinch work. Plus, if your muay thai coach is any good, he'll have a certain boxing background/knowledge and you can work specifically on your hands with the mitts during privates with him or something.

4. GoonLife

GoonLife White Belt

Well both gyms I'm looking at are good, both turn out good fighters and have experienced instructors. From what I've seen having good hands is very important in MMA and in muay thai it seems like a lot of the punching is kind of sloppy compared to boxing. Would it be harder to move from MT to boxing than to move from boxing to MT?

5. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Most Muay Thai gyms practice Boxing in their training, especially in the US.

6. Staring At Fate

Staring At Fate Refuse To Lose.

For MMA you want Muay Thai you need to know as much techniques you can use in a fight as possible.

7. Douglas Funnie

Douglas Funnie Green Belt

I didn't have a choice. There is no Muay Thai where I live but I have noticed lately that a lot of dudes who do Muay Thai have bad habits and don't punch with power.

I think it's easier to go from boxing to muay thai.

Florian said he is 80% boxing and 20% muay thai. I've seen that proportion a lot recently eg Cain against Brock, Junior Dos Santos against anyone, Diaz and Noons, Edgar and Penn, etc.

I am actually happy to be learning boxing first instead of muay thai. I wish I had done it much, much ealier.

8. zapataxiv

zapataxiv Black Belt

you could say the same thing about boxers who are trying to learn kicking

its not the same as pure boxing
    just like muay thai at an mma gym is not the same as muay thai from a pure thai or kickboxing perspective.

either muay thai or boxing is great
    especially if you have good gyms i would try to go both but if that is completely out,
    i would take a trial at each and see which you feel like practicing and dedicating your time and money towards .

9. spyu

spyu White Belt

Yeah I'm not good at either in real life, but being an internet tough guy I would say start with boxing. I think you'll establish a better foundation for punching, footwork head movement, etc. and it'll be easier to transition later on.

10. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Agreed.

11. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

What matters the most is to train the sport you love at a good school.

12. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

There is no question that good training in both styles can be very beneficial, however, if you are looking for an MMA base stand up skill, I would suggest MT. Do the math, would you rather go into a fight with eight weapons or two?

:icon_chee

13. GoonLife

GoonLife White Belt

I'd rather have two choppers than eight knives.

14. BBQpork

BBQpork Blue Belt

Boxing.

Because when there's wrestling in the clinch, ground fighting when you lose your balance or get taken down when you kick, and takedowns you have to rely more on your hands.

15. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

The same applies to Boxers who try to do MMA; bobbing and weaving in an MMA fight will set you up to eat a knee and get KTFO.

Western Boxing is a fantastic punching art and in this range is probably superior to Muay Thai. But if you wish to compete in MMA, try to train both. Or focus on Thai if you can only train one.

Good luck.

16. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

If you want to do MMA, just go to a good MMA gym.

Any gym worth their salt will have both Muay Thai & Boxing, both of which are very important for striking in MMA. Also, an MMA class will teach you how to blend your striking with your grappling, how to strike on the ground, which strikes are high percentage, etc.

Training pure striking from the outset will just make it harder for you to transition into MMA. Your best bet is to just go to a good MMA gym, see what you're good at, which teachers you like, and train train train.

17. shouldercharge

shouldercharge Dave Camarillo idoliser

as above if you can find an mma gym then train mma. in my mind effective mma striking=basically boxing with low kicks and the thai clinch,knees,elbows.

mma has surpassed training in individual styles its mma striking a hybrid of boxing and muay that with consideration of takedowns.
    just like you dont train bjj anymore but jiujitsu and wrestling with strikes thrown in.

18. HBbadb0y

HBbadb0y Yellow Belt

In the sense that MT uses hands as well, shouldn't MT be two choppers and six knives vs two choppers?

19. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

So would BJ Penn. And it's done alot for him. Except for when someone with eight sharp knives overwhelms his 2 choppers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dtravis92

dtravis92 Orange Belt

I would suggest boxing over MT. If you go into a mma fight then you need to have knowledge of kicks, and how to defend them though. With a solid boxing foundation you should be able to beat a lot of amateur MMA fighters who don't have great kicking. I saw a post on another website by Rodney King, the founder of the Crazy Monkey Defense Program, that outlined his thoughts on the order in which you should learn.

1. Hands
    2. Knees/Elbows/Clinch
    3. Forget grappling, focus on stopping the takedown and getting back to feet.
    4. Finally work in the kicks