Boxing vs MMA : Using the "streetfight approach"

Thanks guys for intelligent debate from all sides of the argument (including many in the "middle" !).

I'm glad to see that the real point of the thread was well taken... a staged MMA fight in Kimbo's backyard is not a streetfight !!

Exactly.

Take a pure boxer who's only combative sports experience has been boxing and nothing but. This doesn't mean that the only tools he has access to are boxing tools. There's nothing stopping him from grabbing an opponent, kicking and opponent, choking an oppenent etc. he's not going to go "gee, I could kick this guy in the leg right now, but I better not because I'm a boxer."

Exactly.

Take a pure boxer who's only combative sports experience has been boxing and nothing but. This doesn't mean that the only tools he has access to are boxing tools. There's nothing stopping him from grabbing an opponent, kicking and opponent, choking an oppenent etc. he's not going to go "gee, I could kick this guy in the leg right now, but I better not because I'm a boxer."

not to mention that a big number of boxing's greats (especially in previous eras) were indeed "street people" prior to their boxing careers, and have been in scraps for a good portion of their lives. naseem hamed, despite all of his boxing talent, had (supposedly) gotten his ass handed to him on several occasions in pub brawls. the exact opposite can be said for roberto duran, who was a beast in the alleyways and streets of panama. sonny liston, imo, would've murdered ali had they fought anywhere else besides a boxing ring. street fighting is something you either can or can't do, and the guys who are good are usually the ones who have been at it habitually as they've grown up, and developed that heightened sense of, iunno, asswhippin?...whether it be knowing when and how to hit first, or even more importantly, knowing when the fuck they are about to be set up for a beating, the sport that they pick up (whether it be boxing, wresting, mma, mantis style, gymkata, turbo jam, whatever) can only fine-tune their natural talent for kicking ass.

don't believe me? look at a fella by the name randall "tex" cobb. one of the toughest known guys to walk this earth. bar brawling, karate, kickboxing, boxing, he's been through everything. when he layed out earnie shavers did that mean "karate > boxing lol omg omg"?! no, it meant that randall cobb is a tough bastard whether you're coming at him with a 10oz boxing glove, a shin guard, or a fuckin' pool stick.

Thanks Sonny and Astrael, for clearly demonstrating one of my most vehement points.

A man's Profession of choice doesn't say much about his entire scope of knowledge. Just because a guy Boxes, doesn't mean he's going to be utterly clueless as to what to do if someone tries to kick him, or if they try and take him down. Boxers as Combat Sport athletes have been dealing with that ignorant notion for as long as Boxing has been around.

To add another name to mediocre Boxers who are real-life badasses, Mayorga. He's pretty notorious in Nicaragua for being someone you don't wanna fuck with in the streets.

To add another name to mediocre Boxers who are real-life badasses, Mayorga. He's pretty notorious in Nicaragua for being someone you don't wanna fuck with in the streets.

Mayorga is also notorious for being VERY generous in helping impoverished neighborhoods in Nicaragua

Hey, even Al Capone ran soup kitchens. Mayorga's a gangsta, and gangstas always have soft spots for those who are where they started out.

I am a boxing fan but in a street fight I'll take an mma guy as a body gaurd. They are all bigger and will block more bullets while I run away. Honestly I think a person would do alright with either a duran or a lidell.

A poster here made an account of all known street-fights Zab had. One included Busta Rhymes who's like 6'4" 220. And there's a myspace vid of Zab flooring a couple of chumps who tried to screw him out of a dice game, both of them being 30-50 lbs heavier than him. At any case, his street fighting record is more credible than Rickson Gracie's.

zab judah busted corley's ass on the street...got at a group of cats who tried to rob him, those cats ended up running into a building and getting it handed to them by zab (they mentioned it on espn FNF)...zab beat busta's ass....zab knuckled up w/pbf at chris webbers party...zab also knocked out two bouncers at a club (a friend of mine saw it firsthand).. each guy was big/athletic and 215 or higher and he handled them both. These are all incidents most people familiar w/boxing or ny are aware of and i ain't mentioning the cats in miami who got dealt w/.

an as i stated earlier, alot of boxers have history as street fighters; duran-mayorga- floyd senior-mike tyson-cobb-judah-james toney-bhops-pazienza-paul spadafora-liston-vargas to name a few, they got into boxing cus they stayed whupping dudes *sses in the streets and were trying to beat cats down w/out getting in trouble.

an once again most boxers are prepared to have people kick..use weapons or wrestle them because noone wants to throw hands w/them, so its absurd to think that alot of them aren't at least familiar w/it.

HELL THE GUY VARGAS GOT INTO ALL THAT LEGAL TROUBLE W/WAS A LOW LEVEL MMA FIGHTER AND HIM AND HIS FRIEND GOT STOMPED OUT BY VARGAS

I think this Argument about MMA vs Boxing is stupid and pointless. Most of it was answered by Royce Gracie more than a decade ago. Streetfight is mostly about personal survival, the best style is the one that deals with most(if not all) situations in a streetfight-- that is MMA. But if the you are fighting multiple guys or an armed attacker thats a different story all together.

zab judah busted corley's ass on the street...got at a group of cats who tried to rob him, those cats ended up running into a building and getting it handed to them by zab (they mentioned it on espn FNF)...zab beat busta's ass....zab knuckled up w/pbf at chris webbers party...zab also knocked out two bouncers at a club (a friend of mine saw it firsthand).. each guy was big/athletic and 215 or higher and he handled them both. These are all incidents most people familiar w/boxing or ny are aware of and i ain't mentioning the cats in miami who got dealt w/.

an as i stated earlier, alot of boxers have history as street fighters; duran-mayorga- floyd senior-mike tyson-cobb-judah-james toney-bhops-pazienza-paul spadafora-liston-vargas to name a few, they got into boxing cus they stayed whupping dudes *sses in the streets and were trying to beat cats down w/out getting in trouble.

an once again most boxers are prepared to have people kick..use weapons or wrestle them because noone wants to throw hands w/them, so its absurd to think that alot of them aren't at least familiar w/it.

HELL THE GUY VARGAS GOT INTO ALL THAT LEGAL TROUBLE W/WAS A LOW LEVEL MMA FIGHTER AND HIM AND HIS FRIEND GOT STOMPED OUT BY VARGAS

Thank you. You were the poster I mentioned. My dad keeps saying, in a street fight, boxers with a little bit of judo or wrestling (for low center of balance and thick thighs and legs) would always win. And I agree with him.

If someone tried to street fight you on the rez, you just pulled out your bat or knife and put them in the hospital.

It would have been even easier if we had guns.

I'm developing a new martial art based around this. It's going to be called Brule-Jitsu and the only technique will be hitting people in the head with a baseball bat, then stabbing them and stealing their wallet.

You can all have 9th degree black belts, but you'll have to make up a story that makes you sound like a dangerous tactical killing machine with 40 years of NO HOLDS BARRED X-TREME fighting experience in LIFE OR DEATH SITUATIONS.

I am a boxing fan but in a street fight I'll take an mma guy as a body gaurd. They are all bigger and will block more bullets while I run away. Honestly I think a person would do alright with either a duran or a lidell.

Valuev has a lot of surface area.

I'm developing a new martial art based around this. It's going to be called Brule-Jitsu and the only technique will be hitting people in the head with a baseball bat, then stabbing them and stealing their wallet.

You can all have 9th degree black belts, but you'll have to make up a story that makes you sound like a dangerous tactical killing machine with 40 years of NO HOLDS BARRED X-TREME fighting experience in LIFE OR DEATH SITUATIONS.

I'm signing up.

did judah really bust guys up on street? i read, that he was ganged up by a couple of guys and decided to run away(what the deal?). boxers historically are known to be badasses outside the ring. lamotta, fenech, dempsey, the guys you listed, and im sure many others as well. i remember andrew golota was arrested a few years back in poland for punching some guy out, in front of a hotel

I knew Fenech was a badass in real life but didn't it end up catching up with him?

did judah really bust guys up on street? i read, that he was ganged up by a couple of guys and decided to run away(what the deal?). boxers historically are known to be badasses outside the ring. lamotta, fenech, dempsey, the guys you listed, and im sure many others as well. i remember andrew golota was arrested a few years back in poland for punching some guy out, in front of a hotel

i think in one instance some cats he handled got their crew and ran up on him since he had already dropped those cats earlier

How about military guys trained to kill people in seconds by crushing the other guys throats or ripping their balls off, those kind of things? I'm guessing if there's multiple opponents many will run away or think twice about fighting a guy that just killed a man on front of them. I'd choose him and stand back so I don't get done for murder haha.

Back