Boxing vs. MMA/Toney vs. Couture/Etc.

wake_me

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I don't really follow boxing that much, so I was curious as to the level of interest in
this match in the boxing community. I know the viewpoint from MMA fans is that Couture just needs to get a hold of Toney, take him down, and that will be the beginning of the end. Conversely they believe that Toney only has a puncher's chance and that he hasn't been training hard.

What's the viewpoint on the other side of the fence? Does Toney have too good of footwork for Randy to get a hold of him? Will he be able to keep Couture at bay with jabs?

Not trying to start a flame war, so hopefully we can keep it civil.

Thanks.

none from me & i don't hear to much chatter during fight broadcasts

none from me & i don't hear to much chatter during fight broadcasts

Is Toney still relevant at all in boxing arena? The impression I get is that he is passed his prime, out of shape and is holding a few titles that don't have much importance. He claims that no one wants to fight him, and that's why he can't get a boxing match.

I've seen some highlights though, and in his prime he seemed to be a beast.

Not as big as Dana and ufc fans thought.

people that i've talked to find it funny that Toney's old ass is trying to fight again
and they think he will lose

Is Toney still relevant at all in boxing arena? The impression I get is that he is passed his prime, out of shape and is holding a few titles that don't have much importance. He claims that no one wants to fight him, and that's why he can't get a boxing match.

I've seen some highlights though, and in his prime he seemed to be a beast.

No one wants to fight him cause th wouldn't grain anything from beating him. His name isn't as big as he says it is, and in the HW div it means even less.

Let's say there was a HW pospect that wanted to fight him, if he was to to win. No body would realy care cause he beat a Toney that was 44 yrs old and 40-60 lb above his natural wieght class.

I don't want to say toney is a bad fighter, cause there was a time when he was a beast and beating him meant something, but right it doesn't , that why he can't really get fights in boxing.

None. Toney hasn't been relevant for years. Busted with roids twice. Couture has very mediocre stand up or dirty boxing skills as they say. In a boxing ring, Couture would get mopped up and no one would give a rats ass to see to old ass men fighting who are way past their primes.

He's is like Ray Mercer, boxing lost interest in him and he moved on. Truth be told no one I know in Boxing circles care about MMA vs Boxing the way sherdoggers and MMA fans do.

There's very, very little discussion on the matchup on the boxing-only forums I've visited and I don't think I've yet seen it mentioned from someone in the boxing-only media.

Nobody seems to care on the boxing side of it. As others have pointed out, the reason very well could be because Toney has become largely irrelevant in the boxing world.

none if toney had buzz he would be boxing not fighting mma

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured it was the UFC marketing division at work. Apparently they even photoshopped a pic of Toney so that his waist line looked thiner.

If Toney actually is that trim that would be cool.
But it's been so long since he's seemed to have any concern over the kind of physical shape he's in.

There isn't much of a buzz about it at all, but I think most boxing fans will have 1 eye on this secretly hoping Toney gets a K.O for the bragging rights. If I was going to pick a boxer to have a chance of beating a top level MMA fighter at MMA Toney would be way, way, way down on my list.

In Australia the other night on "Classics" boxing after they had aired an old Toney fight, Johnny Lewis (former trainer of Kostya Tszyu) had a little bit to say, basically that Toney is better off in the ring and questioning his motives for changing over at this late stage of his career.

Most of my friends who follow boxing think Toney will demolish Couture. Most of my friends who train MMA think Couture will demolish Toney. Neither of them will readily admit the possibility of the fight going either way.

There is no buzz coming from this boxing fan...

This fight is bullshit.. and the way it is being marketed==== "boxing vs mma" is retarded.

This is an mma fight that features a boxer.. not a fight that pits the two realms of warfare against each other...

I will say this though.. Toney will do better in this realm than Couture could do in his.. and that should tell you something about mma...

only in mma can a man win the title and be declared the baddest man on the planet after only 3-4 fights.. only in mma could this happen..why? Because there is not much of a difference in skill between the guys with 2-3 fights and the guys with 20...

now in boxing, timing is key and it takes a lot of fights to learn to use good timing.. so there is a huge gap between guys with 2-3 fights and guys with 20+ which suggests that, as subtle as boxing is, boxing is more complex than mma because it takes longer to master..or at least get to a point where you can compete with the elite in the sport....

Bottom line.. this fight proves nothing.. not even if Toney wins.. nothing is proven at all..Not even if Couture knocks Toney out standing.. nothing is proven.. this is a new realm.. a realm in which a fake shot brings both hands down... so it is possible that Toney could get clocked..not likely.. but possible.. and it's even more possible that COuture's suspect chin will get tripped... but the most possible outcome is that Couture is going to turn this into a wrestling match asap and win because Toney isn't a wrestler...

so it proves nothing despite any outcome...

I will say this though.. Toney will do better in this realm than Couture could do in his.. and that should tell you something about mma..

This is an excellent point, but the kind of statement that won't sit well with many, if not most, MMA fans. The kind who will pay to watch PPV. Seems they are substituting a headlining fight with 2 MMA guys with a fight that just re-enforces that a well rounded skill set is the most effective in MMA. Not sure why though.

There is no buzz coming from this boxing fan...

This fight is bullshit.. and the way it is being marketed==== "boxing vs mma" is retarded.

This is an mma fight that features a boxer.. not a fight that pits the two realms of warfare against each other...

I will say this though.. Toney will do better in this realm than Couture could do in his.. and that should tell you something about mma...

only in mma can a man win the title and be declared the baddest man on the planet after only 3-4 fights.. only in mma could this happen..why? Because there is not much of a difference in skill between the guys with 2-3 fights and the guys with 20...

now in boxing, timing is key and it takes a lot of fights to learn to use good timing.. so there is a huge gap between guys with 2-3 fights and guys with 20+ which suggests that, as subtle as boxing is, boxing is more complex than mma because it takes longer to master..or at least get to a point where you can compete with the elite in the sport....

Bottom line.. this fight proves nothing.. not even if Toney wins.. nothing is proven at all..Not even if Couture knocks Toney out standing.. nothing is proven.. this is a new realm.. a realm in which a fake shot brings both hands down... so it is possible that Toney could get clocked..not likely.. but possible.. and it's even more possible that COuture's suspect chin will get tripped... but the most possible outcome is that Couture is going to turn this into a wrestling match asap and win because Toney isn't a wrestler...

so it proves nothing despite any outcome...

if toney isn't a wrestler and not training wrestling he shouldnt have asked for an MMA match then. Why are you so bitter?

It's like the people who get angry at GSP for taking people down instead of getting mad at the dumbass who didn't train takedown defense knowing he was fighting someone who prefers takedowns.

This makes the baby Jebus cry.

But, it's 100% true.

How is it true there are tons of old guys still boxing with ZERO buzz? Just turn on FNF and watch some old journeyman cash a paycheck. And according to Kid McCoy he owns property lol so he's doing well, so money isn't the issue.

How is it true there are tons of old guys still boxing with ZERO buzz? Just turn on FNF and watch some old journeyman cash a paycheck. And according to Kid McCoy he owns property lol so he's doing well, so money isn't the issue.

Well, when you've been to the top of the mountain, it's kind of a kick in the nuts to fight for UFC money.

JT wouldn't be satisfied fighting scrubs for 30K, and he just can't land a big fight in the Prizefighting arena.
Between being old, out of shape, going through a Vitamin S scandal, and losing to Sam Peter, he's done as a serious contender in the sport of boxing. I think he's been bored for at least a decade as well, so...

In the scrubtown known as the UFC, however, Toney is still viable (unless, of course, Randy manages to turn him into a pretzel, then he'll be done in both).

Back