Boxing Trainer says Masvidal wouldn't get blown out by Canelo

Yeah hes a beast

Wouldnt beat mas tho, at least not yet. Maybe in a spar, but its different when someone is in there trying to kill you.

That sort of pressure, experience and fight iq isnt something a 15 year old is gonna be able to handle yet at least on that level

15 year old tyson could probably win titles today

Yeah hes a beast

Wouldnt beat mas tho, at least not yet. Maybe in a spar, but its different when someone is in there trying to kill you.

That sort of pressure, experience and fight iq isnt something a 15 year old is gonna be able to handle yet at least on that level

It isn’t dramatically different in sparring. Boxing sparring is the ‘closest to competition’ sparring of any combat sport involving striking I’ve experienced. Unless the kid completely wilts under pressure (which is possible), he would likely beat Masvidal in the ring. The skill gap, even as a 15 year old amateur, is massive. Masvidal definitely has a proven toughness that the kid doesn’t.

Fight IQ and experience are not something that are equitable across combat sports. In boxing, the 15 year old kid is both more experienced and has a higher fight IQ.

I think some people might be missing the point. The point isn't who would win, the point is that Jorge has great potential and a talent for striking. If you were to choose an mma fighter to fight in a boxing match, he would be at the top of the list. Who else in mma has better boxing skills?

Masvidal's boxing is legit. You know you got legit hands as an mma fighter if Nick Diaz gives you props on the record.

That being said, Canelo easily, because there are levels to this shit

Why are people on here getting so worked up over what a experience boxing trainer said?
I dont give a shit what Goosen says, he has his own reasons for saying what he says. Canelo would take out Masvidal inside 3 rounds....not even worth discussing or considering. Its like a baseball manager saying yeah, Michael Jordan can hold his own in baseball but when he tried...not so much. Now if Goosen said he'd need a year of boxing only and then start with 4 rounders and slowly over 2 more years of increased opposition, and THEN Canelo, that would be more interesting of a discussion...but hold his own with Canelo now?.....bullshit

He just stated that in the article that Masvidal would need 3-4 development fights and spend 2 years in the gym adapting his skills. He said he's already got a good base and would adapt fairly quickly. And then he says that he would not get blown out and make a great account for himself with that kind of prep.

KdDBGOt.gif

Mas can barely beat mma guys (he’s on his best streak yet in all of his long mma career and it’s a modest 3 win streak with the latest being a journeyman Nate Diaz for a made-up belt).

this is a slap to the face of Canelo Alverez and everyone knows I’m mma nuthugger but come on.

Guys like Masvidal and Conor have been boxing for 15+ years. People make it seem like they are just new to the game because they train other martial arts.

That being said Canelo would knock Jorge out. Canelo is at his peak.

I dont get why people give jorge no chance but everyone thought conor was going to beat a defensive boxer Mayweather and finish him yet he got outboxed by nate.

I dont get why people give jorge no chance but everyone thought conor was going to beat a defensive boxer Mayweather and finish him yet he got outboxed by nate.

conor is half balk, which means hes more explosiv than mas.

I don't even think Masvidal would beat Conor in a boxing fight, at 155 or 170lbs.

It isn’t dramatically different in sparring. Boxing sparring is the ‘closest to competition’ sparring of any combat sport involving striking I’ve experienced. Unless the kid completely wilts under pressure (which is possible), he would likely beat Masvidal in the ring. The skill gap, even as a 15 year old amateur, is massive. Masvidal definitely has a proven toughness that the kid doesn’t.

Fight IQ and experience are not something that are equitable across combat sports. In boxing, the 15 year old kid is both more experienced and has a higher fight IQ.
Yeah its just the pressure.

If Mas decided to make it ugly and work his inside game, combos, im not sure he would handle it very well at his age

But who knows

Mas would do better than Conor and probably force a fight... which of course might get him knocked out quicker than Conor then people will lie and say Conor did better. This is sherdog. Know the ledge

Masvidal has some of the best boxing fundamentals in the UFC, its known but i still think he gets pieced up by a top boxer
im sure he could beat some of the lower end guys

as for the remarks on Stipe, he is spot on and till now Stipe still does the same shit, whoever his boxing coach is he needs to get his ass in check

I love goosen as a trainer. We seem to be on the same wavelength generally and I’d say we are again with masvidal. Mas is the type of guy who will almost never look bad in a fight because he’s one of those few who balances natural instincts with techniques so well.

Nobody with half a brain gave Conor a chance. It was only his nuthuggers and insecure MMA-only fans who believed he had any chance.

Back