Boxing to MMA help?

Dumbandpoor

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have boxed previously for a couple of years, but my first love has always been MMA and I've always known that I would convert over to MMA.

Basically, now that I have finally converted over to getting MMA lessons, I am getting really confused with the technical differences between the boxing footwork/stance and MMA footwork/stance, and even the techniques which my coach has been showing me how to throw punches correctly. It's just really annoying, whenever I think I have something down I revert back to my old boxing stance.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had these kind of problems and/or knows any ways in which I can get on top of it.

I'm really sick of doing endless burpees for doing the wrong thing.

What are the differences in punching technique?

What are the differences in punching technique?

There should be very few.

The main differences will be in your stance and your strike defense using smaller gloves.

TS can you be more specific as to what you think your doing wrong?

Yeah mate I wonder what the differences are his coach is correcting him on?

Don't know about any differences in throwing a punch in boxing or in MMA.

What I do see a lot is that boxers twist their lead foot so that it is turned inwards. I always tell people not to do that in muay thai (and in MMA neither of course), because it is harder to check a low kick. You are practically begging to be kicked when you stand like that.

the punching techniques are the same , your coach is probably trying to get you to be aware of take downs , and leg kicks , the footwork we use for mma kickboxing is different than the footwork the boxers at our club use ,as soon as you introduce kicking and takedowns , the game plan has to be adjusted ,

i know ill probably get bashed for saying this , but in mma sparring sometimes the jab works against you rather than for you , i know we constantly work on shooting in off of the opponents jab , single leg , double leg , ect , so its always in our minds to be ready for a quik sprawl .

I went from MMA to boxing, and the main difference I'd say is that you're not as sideways in MMA stance as you are in Boxing. You're stance is more squared and you bend more at the knees. This is due to the wrestling or clinch factor. A lower square stance, will aid in shooting take downs and sprawling to defend.

For the most part your punching technique should be the mostly the same.

Sorry, I didn't reply sooner.. Just woke up.

It's not so much throwing the punch. It is mainly being more square with my feet in an MMA stance.
I don't really suppose it's that bigger deal, but I always revert back to standing with my weight more on my front foot and standing in a straighter line.

The only thing with punching that is different is that my old boxing coach taught to throw an uppercut no further than 10-15 cm away from my face. Whereas now I'm being told to throw it at almost twice that distance.

Sorry, I didn't reply sooner.. Just woke up.

It's not so much throwing the punch. It is mainly being more square with my feet in an MMA stance.
I don't really suppose it's that bigger deal, but I always revert back to standing with my weight more on my front foot and standing in a straighter line.

The only thing with punching that is different is that my old boxing coach taught to throw an uppercut no further than 10-15 cm away from my face. Whereas now I'm being told to throw it at almost twice that distance.

You should know how to throw every punch at multiple ranges anyway, so there's nothing wrong with learning to do that. A long uppercut is a very sneaky punch.

You can fight MMA out of a more bladed stance as well. It may be a little more difficult to defend takedowns at first, but you can still do it. That being said, if your coach wants you to adopt a squarer stance, I'd listen to him.

You should know how to throw every punch at multiple ranges anyway, so there's nothing wrong with learning to do that. A long uppercut is a very sneaky punch.

You can fight MMA out of a more bladed stance as well. It may be a little more difficult to defend takedowns at first, but you can still do it. That being said, if your coach wants you to adopt a squarer stance, I'd listen to him.

I really posted in haste. Now that I've had time to think about it, It's not like there are huge obstacles to overcome. I think it's really just going to come down to me listening and practicing a little bit more, which is what i plan on doing. Thanks for input anyway to all who gave their opinions and giving me stuff to think about.

Back