Boxing Techniques

YPMG

Patriot Nation
@purple
Reaction score
I've been training for around 3mnths now and while my ground game seems to be coming along likely i'm lacking when it comes to hands. I have a problem with cockiing back each time i throw a jab and am constantly getting read and countered and am finding it very difficult to break the habit.

Aside from this i haven't really done any stand-up training and realise that shadow boxing is an important part to improving this but does anyone else have any other suggestions for things i can do at hm to get my hand speed quicker and not readable?

Anything would be appreciated

You're doing the right thing by shadow boxing. Just keep at it and you'll get better.

I used to cock my right cross and found that feinting a jab before the cross helped to break that habit. Maybe something like that can help you.

Shadowbox!

The point of shadowboxing is to watch yourself and perfect your technique. Before my workout I do around 4 rounds of shadowboxing to warm up while working on things like not cocking back before punching, keeping my guard tight. Things like that.

Just try focusing on one main thing a day.

Yeah i try to do alot of in front of the mirror and isolate it to just footwork and jabbing. If i'm holding a higher MT guard i'm less likely to cock and drop but it's not that effetive when combining it for MMA sparring.

Thanks for answering my question though and austinlang thanks for the advice on taking it at one main thing a day, i'll give it a go.

Visualize what you want to do. In your head visualize it. When you throw a jab practice very slowly. Just concentrate on what you want it to look like, then execute it.

Stand there and go through the motions very slowly, picture perfect. Show your muscles what they should be doing.

Shadow box slowly, concentrate on form.

Work your technique in front of a mirror. Throw your punches slowly and concentrate on your form, checking on little discrepancies.

Elbows in = more speed (straighter lines on the jab)

Regular stance (not too deep) will guarantee that your legs don't get "stuck"

When I started martial arts I made some of my own training equipment at home. Try this for hand - eye coordination and reaction drilling for the jab:

Put a ball (tennis, raquet, nerf, etc.) in a sock and hang it from something. Practice your jab and focus on hitting your target right in the center so that it moves away from you and then right back. If it spins out of control or bounces off to the sides then you are not straight on your jab or your timing is off. Practice slow until you find a rhythm. Elbows in. Practice.

Back