1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Boxing Stance/Good Boxing Books?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Kakimori, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Kakimori

Kakimori Blue Belt

When I look at probably the two greatest boxers who ever lived (Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali), I see they have a very similar sort of stance in terms of their hand position. When in the middle of the ring, not on the ropes or defending, they both keep their right hand high but below shoulder level, while the left hand is often down by their waist. I'm curious about what people can tell me about this stance...what the benefits and detriments of it are. Is the left hand low to give power to jabs and hooks?

Also, I'd like it if anyone could recommend to me a good book for someone who's getting interested in starting boxing...a real book filled with knowledge and explanation of techniques, maybe something from the '60s or '70s when boxing was at a higher level than it is now.

2. Kakimori

Kakimori Blue Belt

Bump.

3. Code N

Code N Orange Belt

I don't know any good books, but I recommend going to a boxing gym if you want to learn how to box.

I know a few things like how to throw a jab, cross, hook, and my footwork isn't too bad.

Now about the stance, I don't really know too much to be honest, but I think they keep their lead hand down because it's hard to focus on their lead hand, and their back hand at the same time. But a drawback to this would be defense, if the fighter isn't fast then he won't be able to defend as effectively as someone with a high guard.

4. Kakimori

Kakimori Blue Belt

I imagine you'd have to use good head movement and footwork.

5. Code N

Code N Orange Belt

Oh, I know that too. I just didn't think about it when I posted. I'm watching something. I'm alright when it comes to defense.

6. Tropics1020

Tropics1020 Brown Belt

Go find a good boxing gym, with a trainer that fought pro or trained pros. The only way you get good is by sparring with other people, it's also good to have someone video tape your sparring sessions so you can critique them affterwards.

7. Triangle Choke

Triangle Choke Brown Belt

As others have said, hit the gym - thats where you'll get your best instruction.

However, with regards to the hand position stuff, this vid does a great job of describing why a boxer keeps his hands that way:

8. Takalua

Takalua White Belt

When you first walk into a boxing gym the trainer will always get you in the 'proper' boxing stance. This is when you have your left foot forward, right foot behind it, legs about shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent ( as these act as shock absorbers). You Have your left hand up by your temple and your right hand by your chin. All this would be opposite if you was a southpaw. The reason why muhammed ali and ray robinson had there hands a bit low was because they were very sharp and fast and were able to get there hands up in time to block a punch and were also able to throw a punch faster from many different angles (which would make it a lot harder for the opponent to read the punch). This is why they developed there ownb unique styles because of their unique agility and speed. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR HANDS UP OR YOU WILL GET KNOCKED OUT!

9. quickdraw***

quickdraw*** Blue Belt

gold!