Boxing sparring partner tried to hurt me with Jiu Jitsu

Spacealien

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First post here and I just wanted to share my frustration / emotional damage. Felt that I was being taken advantage of.

New guy came to the sparring session. I've been practicing my counter punches / combo. I defended his jab and countered with a 3 punch combo to the body and head (jab to the body, over head right hand, left hand body hook). All three landed but I pulled my punches back.

The next thing he did was to get into a clinch position (wasn't allowed to but I was playing along) and he leg swept me, took me down, got into side control and crush my jaw by pushing his back against my head (reverse side control?). Couldn't eat for a day.

I didn't realize that he had intention to hurt me after getting hit until a day later. Told the trainer about it. Needless to say I'll never talk to / spar with that dick again.

rant over.

Last edited:
From thinking me hitting too hard straight to hurting the partner is still a bit too much. Having the intention to hurt your partner is never acceptable under any circumstance.
Ya, you handled it better than I would have
Was an asshole thing to do

Ya, you handled it better than I would have
Was an asshole thing to do

To be fair I had no idea that he intended to hurt me. I didn't even connect the pain in my jaw to him until half a day later. The intention to hurt me changes everything.

And you know those people who will strike with all their might in the last second of the sparring round?
He was applying a fuckton more pressure on my head at the last second, and he wasn't even supposed to use BJJ at all lol.
I FUCKING HATE PUSSIES
Seriously. I have absolutely zero respect for people like that. I'm not even gonna call them men.

And you know those people who will strike with all their might in the last second of the sparring round?
He was applying a fuckton more pressure on my head at the last second, and he wasn't even supposed to use BJJ at all lol.
I FUCKING HATE PUSSIES
Seriously. I have absolutely zero respect for people like that. I'm not even gonna call them men.
work on your clinch, in case it ever happens again. This is a good opportunity

you can prevent/alleviate the pressure on your head by framing a forearm against his neck with the arm closest to his head

this could be the origin story of your mma career

work on your clinch, in case it ever happens again. This is a good opportunity

you can prevent/alleviate the pressure on your head by framing a forearm against his neck with the arm closest to his head

this could be the origin story of your mma career

While he was attempting to leg sweep me? That's a very good idea!!

Serious answer here: get that guy kicked out of the gym. This is unacceptable behavior.
Don't think the trainer is going to do anything about it (he didn't see what happened). To him this is just he said she said kind of thing.
Going to let my buddies there know what happened (who happened to be the best fighters lol) and let justice naturally run the course.

Don't think the trainer is going to do anything about it (he didn't see what happened). To him this is just he said she said kind of thing.
Going to let my buddies there know what happened (who happened to be the best fighters lol) and let justice naturally run the course.
That's even better: bully him out of the gym. Don't ever feel bad about bullying bullies.

First post here and I just wanted to share my frustration / emotional damage. Felt that I was being taken advantage of.

New guy came to the sparring session. I've been practicing my counter punches / combo. I defended his jab and countered with a 3 punch combo to the body and head (jab to the body, over head right hand, left hand body hook). All three landed but I pulled my punches back.

The next thing he did was to get into a clinch position (wasn't allowed to but I was playing along) and he leg swept me, took me down, got into side control and crush my jaw by pushing his back against my head (reverse side control?). Couldn't eat for a day.

I didn't realize that he had intention to hurt me after getting hit until a day later. Told the trainer about it. Needless to say I'll never talk to / spar with that dick again.

rant over.
This is the MMA era. Guys cross train, if someone thinks they got hit too hard or are getting beat up and they have grappling then they may feel inclined to use it in the heat of the moment.

Remember that 'the noble art of defence' was boxing + wrestling combined.

Work on some dirty boxing and takedown defence.

Hate people like that. Seen it all the time in boxing gyms

Thanks for the support guys. Appreciate it.
Jaw is still hurting. Pisses me off because it reminds me of the incident.
I really don't think I hit hard at all. Rather I don't think he thought I hit hard. He never said a word about it. His body language didn't indicate that he was hurt. He just started to take me down with BJJ (in a boxing round) all of a sudden. No warnings what so ever.

He's just saying that as an excuse for his hurt ego I guess.

Last edited:
Back