Boxing Skills/MMA

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by DeathAndHealing, Oct 30, 2010.

1. DeathAndHealing

DeathAndHealing White Belt

I dont know why there isnt a sticky for this yet, but I believe every/most martial arts have transferable skills to the sport of MMA. However, attaining skills in one sport does not mean you can automatically transition, so, what is in everyones opinion the skills we can take from boxing and how do you modify them for MMA?

I'll start..
    Boxers commonly duck under punches by bending at the waist, however in MMA people can knee/kick so to modify ducking under the punches you would bend at the knees.

2. Popsaregood230

Popsaregood230 Blue Belt

actually bending at the knees is the proper technique in the first place.

3. DeathAndHealing

You used your first post ever for that?

..sigh..

YouTube - Ducking - basic boxing instructional

For a better description, since I am no professional in any manner. This would be an incorrect technique regarding MMA, rather, staying upright--not bending forward--would be the most beneficial. Better?

4. Popsaregood230

Popsaregood230 Blue Belt

You never want to bend your back (you can a little but don't overdo it). Keeping the back straight gives you proper balance. So while you may see professionals in the ring bending at their waist *see james toney*, its not proper according to the basics.

5. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

I guess the stance should be modified to be more straight forward to be able to check kicks and stuff takedowns. And if the philly shell could transition in any way, I'd love to here about it.

6. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

Popsaregood320 is right. The textbook method in boxing is bending at the knees. It allows for a good counter as well. Lots of boxers dont do it, doesnt mean its not a boxing technique. Its a lot easier to bend you back, especially if you have a more side stance liek Mayweahter.

Bending at the knees is especially more important in MMA so you dont risk a knee. You see guys in K-1 like Masato and Souwer get away with bobbing and weaving by taking a slight dip. Masato is a good k-1 fighter but he really does exemplify traditional boxing technique, jabbing, angling, lead right hand, etc, and carries him very far.

Like I said, its not a superior method, just a more classic method.

Most people do a little bit of both, which is okay

7. ArchAngelos

ArchAngelos Blue Belt

If you "duck" you get your head taken off by an uppercut. You don't duck - you bend your legs and bob and weave. It comes off the slip and that's as far as your head moves. "Ducking" forward is lazy and real shitty form.

Oh, and try telling GSP that boxing head movement doesn't transfer to MMA. He bob-and-weaves into a double leg just fine.

8. Machete Juarez

Machete Juarez Blue Belt Professional Fighter

Maybe because the topic isn't of significant importance. I mean why would everyone have to read the things that we do in Boxing that we shouldn't do in MMA? And anyway, there are way too many of those. It's like comparing Football to Baseball.

Do you receive your instruction from Youtube videos? Just asking.

But yeah, you do bend at the knees in Boxing.

9. DeathAndHealing

Its called research?

Most sports already have its techniques down to a science, ala boxing, muay thai, etc..
    MMA is relatively new and the science behind optimal techniques have yet to be defined.

How many people call MMA strikers sloppy and second rate? Its because the small details and complexities of striking in the cage have yet to be defined. Im sure some odd years from now people will have amazing technique and there will be mass reports/studies and coaches wil have discovered all these subtle things, until then, why not try to outline for fun? This just doesnt apply to boxing, Id like to learn how to modify all striking arts to better suit MMA.

10. Popsaregood230

Popsaregood230 Blue Belt

This is also what I beleive, MMA still needs to mature more.... especially in the athleticism department. I'm tired of watching UFC bouts where half of the undercard tire in the middle of the second round. MMA fighters need to start becoming more athletic. They have the technical skills but seem to brush away the importance of conditioning.

11. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Things you do in Boxing that you should do in MMA= Punch the opponent.

Things you do in Boxing that you should not do in MMA= Expect the ref to count to 10 when you land on your back!

12. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

+ Juan