Boxing shoes, anyone uses them? Why?

MinataurMax

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Would love to hear your take on boxing shoes.

1) Why did you buy them?

2) What aspects of that brand did you buy it for? e.g. on sale? Good grip? Good ankle support? Cool looking? All I could afford for now?

3) What brand and models would you recommend from personal use?

4) Anything else I missed about boxing shoes please feel free to add. e.g. not really needed just trainers are good enough.

5) Did you see the new Minotaur brand boxing shoes just posted?! :)

It's better to just start with cheap gear, get a feel for it, so you can assess your individual needs. No point in buying the most expensive boots now if they don't suit your style. You don't want to be the guy with all the shiny gear getting beat on by dudes in $30 Everlast's.

I've seen your bag videos, you don't really move much, so to start you can't really go wrong with some Everlast's. They're good for all around training and getting a feel for your style.

You can ask all the questions you want, but nothing will beat first hand experience. Besides no amount of expensive gear is going to make up for inadequate training. Focus on that first.

Appreciate the constructive feedback. Black Friday is coming.

Appreciate the constructive feedback. Black Friday is coming.
It's not just a price thing, different boots suit different styles. Are you planting power puncher? Do you need more ankle support? Are you light on your feet?

These questions can only be answered in sparring, so buy some safe training boots now until you have a defined style. You're gonna look goofy with all this neon gear getting clocked by guys in Walmart equipment.

I bought the adidas Box Hogs when they were on sale on a lark. Better ankle support than any kind of street shoes, if that's something you're interested in.
But generally I find boxing shoes to be a pretty tertiary product.

I did kickboxing for years before I started boxing so I bought a pair of ringside boxing shoes that were all cloth, basically a high top wrestling shoe. It felt like being barefoot but with more ankle support

Ankle support and thin flat sole so you have good contact to the floor. In theory imo you could also use a pair of Converse but they don't have good ankle support. But I wouldn't say you necessarily need boxing shoes especially as a beginner. You could also just use your usual sport shoes.

Last edited:
Back