Boxing on network T.V.

thatsmydin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
CBS gets elite XC, Dana says the UFC will have a network deal within six months. What about boxing? I remember hearing something about Bob Arum wanting to put Pavlik on network T.V. Does anyone know if theres something in the making as far as network boxing goes? What does this mean in terms of the popularity of boxing and boxing vs. MMA debate? Elite XC will not use BS propaganda to bash boxing since the company is run by a boxing promotor, but what about the UFC. I'm a fan of both sports but i dont wanna listen to Rogan talk about how MMA is sooooooooooo much more exciting than boxing and how ''HIGH LEVEL'' the boxing skills are in MMA. What do you guys think(hardcore boxing fans and fans of both sports, no HW tapout t-shirts please)?

Also, I started this thread to hear intelligent responses from guys like KK, BrooklynB, and others, not to start a MMA vs. Boxing beef.

Here's the deal. HBO and Showtime are willing to pay a lot of money for top end boxing cards, because they know that there is a good chunk of their subscriber base who wants good boxing cards as part of them being premium networks. The major US networks have not been willing to spend at the rate HBO/Showtime were, so boxing left the networks and went to where the money was. The downside is, of course, that you lose visibility on HBO versus NBC. And that's what plagued boxing ever since.

Arum was going to buy time on a Saturday night last year for Antonio Tarver to fight Elvir Muriqi on ABC, and his plan was to try and line up enough sponsorship that it would make the show profitable when combined with live gate. The sponsors never came, probably because Muriqi/Tarver is a shitty fight. A good fight could get real sponsors, but the amount of money that it could make on a network is paltry next to even a mediocre selling PPV. And that is why there is no boxing on network TV.

Here's the deal. HBO and Showtime are willing to pay a lot of money for top end boxing cards, because they know that there is a good chunk of their subscriber base who wants good boxing cards as part of them being premium networks. The major US networks have not been willing to spend at the rate HBO/Showtime were, so boxing left the networks and went to where the money was. The downside is, of course, that you lose visibility on HBO versus NBC. And that's what plagued boxing ever since.

Arum was going to buy time on a Saturday night last year for Antonio Tarver to fight Elvir Muriqi on ABC, and his plan was to try and line up enough sponsorship that it would make the show profitable when combined with live gate. The sponsors never came, probably because Muriqi/Tarver is a shitty fight. A good fight could get real sponsors, but the amount of money that it could make on a network is paltry next to even a mediocre selling PPV. And that is why there is no boxing on network TV.

Wouldn't that be the same case for MMA? Wouldn't a mediocre selling PPV be better for the UFC/EXC than the money network sponsors would offer or do they offer more due to the fact thats it's something new?

mediocre selling PPV doesn't reach out to as many TV's/people as the Networks do.

MMA is still trying to sell its sport. There are still states in the U.S that haven't legalized it yet. And still people who are for banning it altogether.

It's no coincidence that CBS will be showing the eliteXC fights on Saturday evenings. Saturday evenings have traditionally been a dead zone for broadcast networks. Audiences are smaller than for any other prime-time blocks, and they also trend quite old and therefore have trouble attracting advertiser money. CBS executives are hoping that the eliteXC fights will draw in young viewers on Saturday evenings.

I don't amagine a Network TV deal anytime soon. Like has already been said by deadandrestless the premium networks are willing to pay more money. A promoter would have to be willing to lose money to make the sport more marketable in the future. The networks have to be willing to pay for a product that they would possibly lose money on due to low ratings.

Another problem with showing boxing on non-premium TV is that it's poorly suited in terms of accommodating commercials. There's only one minute between rounds, and no guarantee that a fight will last any particular distance. Most televised sports, in contrast, are chock-full of commercial breaks.

What would work better is a UFC- or eliteXC-style model, where there's a card of interesting fights rather than just one main fight as is often the case in boxing. That allows for commercials to be run between fights, when there will be substantial numbers of people watching. If there's just one main fight and some forgettable preliminaries the between-fights audiences will be smaller and advertisers won't be willing to pay much.

Another problem with showing boxing on non-premium TV is that it's poorly suited in terms of accommodating commercials. There's only one minute between rounds, and no guarantee that a fight will last any particular distance. Most televised sports, in contrast, are chock-full of commercial breaks.

That's a reason I don't miss the network coverage much, I also like to listen in on the corners between rounds and not have to cut to commercials after every round.

Ricky Hatton will be fighting on Versus next month, it will be the biggest fight card on basic cable since TNT had a short run that featured PBF and Shane Mosley on a few basic cable cards.

That's a reason I don't miss the network coverage much, I also like to listen in on the corners between rounds and not have to cut to commercials after every round.

Ricky Hatton will be fighting on Versus next month, it will be the biggest fight card on basic cable since TNT had a short run that featured PBF and Shane Mosley on a few basic cable cards.

I agree. I like the between the rounds coverage. Also with network TV we get broadcasters who aren't "regulars" like Kevin Harlan (TNT). He's good for hoops and football but not boxing. I remember him getting all riled up on a Mayweather jab.

Agreed
Could do without the ads, had to watch b-hop vs cal on TSN here in canada and there were commericlas after every round.

Hah
After tonight, your gonna have to change your AV to Joe Thorton golfing, cuz his seasons done.

lol! cracked me up with that one nice one...he'll rebound after his poor performance Sunday night. I believe in Jumbo.

Nabby>Kipper. It will be the difference tonight.

Make sure Phaneuf is on the flight home...somebodies gonna have to stop Iginla from killing the assistant coaches.

Seriously though....What happend there? Heard they had a monster blow up on Saturday? Rumors or truth?

lol! cracked me up with that one nice one...he'll rebound after his poor performance Sunday night. I believe in Jumbo.

Nabby>Kipper. It will be the difference tonight.

Make sure Phaneuf is on the flight home...somebodies gonna have to stop Iginla from killing the assistant coaches.

Seriously though....What happend there? Heard they had a monster blow up on Saturday? Rumors or truth?

Both goalies have been on point, blame flames lifeless defense at times for the goals.
We lit our fire tho last game, big time.

Yeah, Preston and Iginla got into it a little bit, just a concerned captain tryin to spark his team.
I'm lookin forward to seein some desperate ass teams play like theres no tommorow.

Both goalies have been on point, blame flames lifeless defense at times for the goals.
We lit our fire tho last game, big time.

Yeah, Preston and Iginla got into it a little bit, just a concerned captain tryin to spark his team.
I'm lookin forward to seein some desperate ass teams play like theres no tommorow.

the series has been pretty damn great. Tonight should really cap it off though. If we allow you guys to out hit us its over. If we stand up to you we should win.

I'd take Iginla any day of the week. The guy is all heart and can do pretty much anything he wants out there.

Marleau should watch video of a real captain. Yes...I still rip Marleau when I shouldn't. We nicknamed him Charmin...after the paper towel company.

EDIT: Marleau and Wilson beefed for 6 months after the playoffs last season. Instead of arguing it out they just didn't talk to eachother??? Marleau avoided him...wtf? I like fiesty captains who can't accept losing.

the series has been pretty damn great. Tonight should really cap it off though. If we allow you guys to out hit us its over. If we stand up to you we should win.

I'd take Iginla any day of the week. The guy is all heart and can do pretty much anything he wants out there.

Marleau should watch video of a real captain. Yes...I still rip Marleau when I shouldn't. We nicknamed him Charmin...after the paper towel company.

EDIT: Marleau and Wilson beefed for 6 months after the playoffs last season. Instead of arguing it out they just didn't talk to eachother??? Marleau avoided him...wtf? I like fiesty captains who can't accept losing.

LOL
Marleau's got smarts, but I don't seem him out there in a scrap too often.
Somethin Iginla doesn't shy away from.
I think it all depends on momentum, if guys on the flames put out like Huselius and not depend on Iggy to do everything, we should have this series wrapped up.

Sharks come out with intensity, and keep it going..with Nab playin like he has been, I could see a win for them.
Either way man, gonna be a good game.
Game 7's are always great, well unless you live in Boston.

LOL
Marleau's got smarts, but I don't seem him out there in a scrap too often.
Somethin Iginla doesn't shy away from.
I think it all depends on momentum, if guys on the flames put out like Huselius and not depend on Iggy to do everything, we should have this series wrapped up.

Sharks come out with intensity, and keep it going..with Nab playin like he has been, I could see a win for them.
Either way man, gonna be a good game.
Game 7's are always great, well unless you live in Boston.

no doubt...good luck and tomorrow one of us will be hung over and the other will be depressed.

Back