Boxing month, kicking month, ect

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
So i kinda hit this mental wall this summer. That told me to stop training for a fight that is not gonna happen anyway.

Moving on.. I am a gym addict. I need to train. Full 7 days a week is when i feel the best. Of course its not 7 days of breaking down the body. I really like volume training.

Like 10 - 30 rounds of 3 min. Bagwork, pads, or semi light sparring. Or a combination of all three. Going 50-70%

But thats kinda fight related. Thats something i dont have to do anymore.

I wanna try something new. I gonna have one special area to focus on each month. So september is gonna be kick-month.

I gonna train and polish every kick in my toolkit. Maybe even learn a few more. I have trained many kick styles. So i gonna do kicks from kyokusin, muay thai, kung fu, and capoeira. Because thats the four kicking styles i trained.

Anyone else have done done something like this before?

I kinda did it when i had a injury that only made me kick with my left. And that gave me a good switch kick.

Anyway.. Feel free to discuss or tell me that this is a stupid idea.

September = kicking playtime

If you want to do a drill that will help you cool down after a workout try the "45-45-45" drill, it's a drill where you have a sparring partner but go super light and just do 45 secs of striking then 45 secs of clinch work then 45 secs of ground and pound grappling. You could do that if you have a month where its mma.

Oh wait since you probably have a better job then me, why don't you travel to other countries? Like go to Brazil and learn different styles or go to Russia and learn combat sambo? I believe your in your 40's. You got 20 more years left, until your a senior citizen, got to make the most of it man.

Done it a couple of times. Most of those were like yours, for protecting an injury, but in august, when lots of gyms close, I some times use it to practice something specific. But usually, since I do 2 sessions a day, I do the first session what I want to focus on, and the second session is a more "classic" one.

I've done it to level up my flexibility, another summer was to level up my teep, and a third time I can remember was just to work on the clinch.

So i kinda hit this mental wall this summer. That told me to stop training for a fight that is not gonna happen anyway.

Moving on.. I am a gym addict. I need to train. Full 7 days a week is when i feel the best. Of course its not 7 days of breaking down the body. I really like volume training.

Like 10 - 30 rounds of 3 min. Bagwork, pads, or semi light sparring. Or a combination of all three. Going 50-70%

But thats kinda fight related. Thats something i dont have to do anymore.

I wanna try something new. I gonna have one special area to focus on each month. So september is gonna be kick-month.

I gonna train and polish every kick in my toolkit. Maybe even learn a few more. I have trained many kick styles. So i gonna do kicks from kyokusin, muay thai, kung fu, and capoeira. Because thats the four kicking styles i trained.

Anyone else have done done something like this before?

I kinda did it when i had a injury that only made me kick with my left. And that gave me a good switch kick.

Anyway.. Feel free to discuss or tell me that this is a stupid idea.

September = kicking playtime

i think its a great idea. Very similar to how if for example, you injury your right leg and connot kick with it, now you can only kick with your left, well next thing you know you have a wicked left kick because you have been practicing the shit out of it, thus why injuries are "blessings in disquise" lol. Anyways yeah man I think its a great idea and I say go for it. Im still working on getting back into a regular routine but before I took my break, I dedicated one day a week to just kicks all night in training. My reasoning behind it was that if you think about it, when we train, we end up throwing many more punches than kicks, combos are always, 123 kick, cross hook kick, etc etc. you get the idea, so I wanted to get my kicks better, and decided to do that. I think it helped.

I do those like every other month unfortunately lol. My right elbow gets jacked up and will end up just using my left for a few weeks

Back