Boxing: Might as well be worked.

I think the only problem with Boxing at the minute is the WBC being biased towards Mexican fighters. Where they literally changed the rules a few months ago so that this Asian man who would have beaten the Mexican on normal rules only got a draw. Then it made me piss myself when the WBC said we are calling it a draw and not a win for the mexican who lost (because the cut was caused my a punch and made worse by a butt or the other way round) Because they didnt want to seem biased towards Mexican fighters lmao!!!

Boxing isnt dead, It will live on forever because for every person like you in the world there is someone who is born to love Boxing. People who understand every aspect of it and prefer it to two uncoordinated guys radnomly swinging at each other which is mostly what MMA stand up is.
Yes there are too many organisations and the lack of the true champion but every sport has it's downfall. Like the UFC being biased towards people who put on entertaining fights instead of better winning percentages and they hate on Wrestlers alot because its "Boring" I really think it's because Dana Boxercise White doesnt undertand it.

Anyway we know about our biased organisations and that theres 2 many of them in the first place. And the corrupt judges scoring to the favourite but we put up with them and Love it all the same!

Dont forget the WBC unifiying its own titles when WBC champ Maskaev faced off against WBC interim champ Peter. And the whole Lopez fight you mentioned, the WBC is a huge joke.

Viggo Mortensen has a small penis... this means Mr. Mschatz also has a small hancock, john.

@ TS

If the only recent boxing match you have seen is DLH vs Mayweather, then I understand why you believe what you do. I've followed boxing most of my life with a few "breaks" here and there. Last year and this year has been some of the best boxing in recent times.

Ironically it's MMA that is often credited for the rise in quality boxing. Some people would call it coincidence, but top boxers themselves admit that MMA has forced boxing to provide entertaining fights. Check out the Rampage/Judah interview for their opinions on each others sports. B-hop also credits MMA.

The heavyweight division isn't the greatest in boxing, but it isn't great anymore in MMA either. You need to look at the lighter guys for some entertainment.
Just this year, two outstanding battles occurred. Check out Vasquez/Marquez and Pacman/Marquez for some '08 fights worth watching.

@ TS

If the only recent boxing match you have seen is DLH vs Mayweather, then I understand why you believe what you do. I've followed boxing most of my life with a few "breaks" here and there. Last year and this year has been some of the best boxing in recent times.

Ironically it's MMA that is often credited for the rise in quality boxing. Some people would call it coincidence, but top boxers themselves admit that MMA has forced boxing to provide entertaining fights. Check out the Rampage/Judah interview for their opinions on each others sports. B-hop also credits MMA.

The heavyweight division isn't the greatest in boxing, but it isn't great anymore in MMA either. You need to look at the lighter guys for some entertainment.
Just this year, two outstanding battles occurred. Check out Vasquez/Marquez and Pacman/Marquez for some '08 fights worth watching.

I will be sure to check out those fights.

I do appologize for hating on boxing, I'm just kind of pissed how a lot of "up and comers" have their opponents hand picked for them.

I'll probably buy the next good boxing PPV that comes out. I do enjoy a good fight.

I will be sure to check out those fights.

I do appologize for hating on boxing, I'm just kind of pissed how a lot of "up and comers" have their opponents hand picked for them.

I'll probably buy the next good boxing PPV that comes out. I do enjoy a good fight.

They give young up and comers soft opponents initially because they are young. They are raw and its a way to get their feet wet in the professional ranks.

People really underestimate how good the good to elite boxers are in the world. Giving a young inexperienced raw fighter a boxer like that it would destroy the guys career. And many careers have been ruined because of it.

There are plenty examples of this in the past but a recent one would be Panchito Bojado. At a young age he was thrown Jesse James Leija who is a very tough experienced fighter. Bojado was too young, too inexperienced to win this fight.

Ultimately if you're good you're going to face the best and you're going to have to beat the best. Also, its not exactly what you think. They just dont feed a guy tomato cans for 30 fights. The great matchmakers feed their top prospects boxers with different styles. Kelly Pavlik, Miguel Cotto have been given guys who are brawlers, boxers, punchers, southpaws and they've had to make adjustments to each sytle. The competition you face has to improve throughout your career because if it doesnt you will eventually get overwhelmed by a faster, stronger, smarter and more accurate opponent.

They give young up and comers soft opponents initially because they are young. They are raw and its a way to get their feet wet in the professional ranks.

People really underestimate how good the good to elite boxers are in the world. Giving a young inexperienced raw fighter a boxer like that it would destroy the guys career. And many careers have been ruined because of it.

There are plenty examples of this in the past but a recent one would be Panchito Bojado. At a young age he was thrown Jesse James Leija who is a very tough experienced fighter. Bojado was too young, too inexperienced to win this fight.

Ultimately if you're good you're going to face the best and you're going to have to beat the best. Also, its not exactly what you think. They just dont feed a guy tomato cans for 30 fights. The great matchmakers feed their top prospects boxers with different styles. Kelly Pavlik, Miguel Cotto have been given guys who are brawlers, boxers, punchers, southpaws and they've had to make adjustments to each sytle. The competition you face has to improve throughout your career because if it doesnt you will eventually get overwhelmed by a faster, stronger, smarter and more accurate opponent.

Agreed. Its not like MMA where a guy is ready for a title shot after 3-4 fights. The hierarchy is much deeper in boxing, and the difference in levels between the elite and the merely excellent is large. Gomez vs Cotto is a good example. Gomez is a very very good fighter, but he's not elite, and he got absolutely toyed with in his first and probably only title fight. Putting young guys in with the top dogs too early is a great way to ruin their career.

Boxing is a business. The quicker you get the title shot the quicker everyone involved gets the big money. I would rather have ten fights and live comfortably after losing a title fight than fight 15 years trying to eek out a living and then get the big money. The idea of bringing up a fighter and carfuly teaching and honing himis a great ideal. Yes ideal not idea. I know you guys relize this but ,Boxing is a job it is all about being able to make as much money as fast as you can. If you lose the first shot at the title ,you take your money and then start earning way back at another shot.

Boxing is a business. The quicker you get the title shot the quicker everyone involved gets the big money. I would rather have ten fights and live comfortably after losing a title fight than fight 15 years trying to eek out a living and then get the big money. The idea of bringing up a fighter and carfuly teaching and honing himis a great ideal. Yes ideal not idea. I know you guys relize this but ,Boxing is a job it is all about being able to make as much money as fast as you can. If you lose the first shot at the title ,you take your money and then start earning way back at another shot.

what?

i agree, the best boxers never fight each other, though cotto-margarito is coming up and that's gonna be a war, and if mayweather dosen't step up and fight the winner then i'll consider him a bitch

i agree, the best boxers never fight each other, though cotto-margarito is coming up and that's gonna be a war, and if mayweather dosen't step up and fight the winner then i'll consider him a bitch

pavlik-taylor...twice
vazquez marquez...three times
calzaghe-kessler
calzaghe-hopkins
pacman-marquez...twice

this thread breeds boxing trolls.

thanks TS.

The best boxers never fight eachother? Where the fuck do you people come from?

That "bitch" you're talking about is undefeated with 25 KOs and 6 world titles in 5 different weight classes. What position are you in to call that guy a bitch? You think you can accomplish a fraction of what Floyd does in the ring?

The thing is in MMA the best always fight the best.

Fedor-Couture...oh wait... nevermind.

The thing I hate about these boxing/MMA arguments is that posters quickly take on an "attack in order to defend" mentality and abandon all objective discussion on the subject. Someone has brought up a gripe with a UFC policy? Well let's immediately attack the sport of boxing and hope everyone forgets about whatever is wrong with MMA!! Same goes for those defending boxing. It's the type of argument you can find on any kindergarten school's playground every day after lunchtime.

Debaters on both sides of the argument in large part end up defending the policies of the promoters and organizations of their respective sport and not the sport itself, and this sometimes comes from people who regularly criticize those same promotions/individuals.

You see it on every fight forum over and over again.

Two different fight sports, one is fully fleshed out with a long tradition....the other is young and essentially still being defined. No, MMA is not two guys laying on each other, and no, boxing isn't fixed. Enjoy both of them for what they are and let's stop wasting everyone's time re-hashing the same old garbage.

Back