Boxing like a Wrestler

ambertch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So after Brett Rodgers challenged Kimbo I was like "who is this guy?" and in looking up Rodgers stumbled upon his Team site, team bison. teambison.com

On it was a nice article on blending wrestling and boxing, and part of it goes into an opinion piece on why Chuck Liddell's striking is good for MMA, and also why wrestlers who try to box might fail. Boxing like a Wrestler - by Mike Reilly

Also has a nice little article on submission wrestling history hehe Submission Grappling / Catch Wrestling

very good article, im a wrestler and this has given me many ideas on ho wto adapt my game. thanks =)

good article-but couture OUTBOXED liddel in the first fight, an if u ask randy he will tell u the same..

the jab ate chuck up

let's clear up a few things about wrestlign footwork.

A freestyle/folkstyle guy would have his strong foot foward (meaning if he is right handed he will stand in what would look like a southpaw stance) That makes it very hard for a wrestler with the wrestling lead leg forward to strike cus in striking your left leg goes foward. There are exeptions to this rule, Kid yamamoto for existance. But there is a reason why boxing gyms teach 99% of the poplulation to box orthadox...

now greco guys have a totally different stance.

YouTube - Greco Roman Wrestling

You can't shoot in greco roman wrestling. As a matter of fact you are not allowed to touch your opponent's legs with any part of your body. thus people are more square and upright like the vid above.

Now while randy did do some folkstyle he was a Greco roman wrestler and that is what he tried to make the olympics with.

What i am trying to say is that a greco guy would feel MUCH more natural in a striking stance than a freestyle/folkstyle guy.

Randy just didn't do "some" folkstyle. He probably did it all through middle, highschool, and college.

Nearly all american greco guys have extensive folkstyle experience

You can't shoot in greco roman wrestling. As a matter of fact you are not allowed to touch your opponent's legs with any part of your body. thus people are more square and upright like the vid above.

Now while randy did do some folkstyle he was a Greco roman wrestler and that is what he tried to make the olympics with.

I'd say he was OK in folk style too. 3 time all American (2 were 2nd place).

As you explained about Greco....you can't attack the legs. I'm guessing he gets his double and single leg takedowns from his folkstyle background, and not his Greco. As well as his takedown defense since no Greco wrestler shot on his legs.

I'm not saying he doesn't use his Greco experience. He uses/used both.

Great article too! I'm still working on that transition from wrestling to MMA.

Bison Gym isnt that great.

Well I wouldn't say that just because they don't have famous/top ranked fighters. I mean top fighters often come from no-name gyms, and some well known gyms may go through a dry spell where nobody good is coming from them you know?

I'd say he was OK in folk style too. 3 time all American (2 were 2nd place).

As you explained about Greco....you can't attack the legs. I'm guessing he gets his double and single leg takedowns from his folkstyle background, and not his Greco. As well as his takedown defense since no Greco wrestler shot on his legs.

I'm not saying he doesn't use his Greco experience. He uses/used both.

Great article too! I'm still working on that transition from wrestling to MMA.

actually i don't remember randy going for alot of doubles and singles in his mma career. If anything he trips from the clinch and my guess is that is his folkstyle background + cage adoptation.

actually i don't remember randy going for alot of doubles and singles in his mma career. If anything he trips from the clinch and my guess is that is his folkstyle background + cage adoptation.

Check out UFC 43. Double and singles easily against Chuck Lidell. Around 1:20 in this video YouTube - Randy Couture HL Tribute (best one on the net) (it's hard to find UFC vids).

I'm not going to argue with you and say he does one style more than the other. He uses both. He was an alternate to 3 Olympics for Greco. He'd be dumb not to use it. Greco can be very good but it doesn't do you much good if you don't get into the clinch.

I hope you didn't take any offense. I was mostly trying to point out that he's not the one dimensional Greco Roman wrestler it sounded like.

Well I wouldn't say that just because they don't have famous/top ranked fighters. I mean top fighters often come from no-name gyms, and some well known gyms may go through a dry spell where nobody good is coming from them you know?

I can beat some of their best fighters. They are arrogant. They try to start street fights. Its stupid really. I laid out one of their guys. I don't take that gym seriously. They have these one strike fights or something. Its really stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back