boxing license medical

james gatti

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is james, my last name isn't really gatti I just put gatti because he is my fav boxer and an inspiration to me. A little about myself I am 17 and don't live with my parents, I get a bit of support from my mum who lives abroad but I mostly provide for myself, all my money goes towards good food and training unlike brand new clothes and partying like most 17 year olds, I am dedicated to anything I put my heart towards and I believe I have a big heart. Oh and I am new to this forum :)

Anyway the question is I want to start amateur boxing soon then eventually pro boxing, I currently train at a amateur boxing club in the uk and was told I have good punches and great power but my head movement and footwork needs a lot working on. My problem is i have a mild scoliosis, 24 degrees in the lumbar section and 18 degrees in the upper back, its not very noticeable I always wear a vest at the boxing club and no one notices it, infact no one anywhere notices it at all because it is very mild even one doctor didn't even think I had it when I got checked up how ever the other 2 doctors noticed I had it but they both said it is mild. I am scared this will stop me from fighting amateur fights (even though the regulations for UK amateur boxing says only signifcant scoliosis will stop you from fighting and my doc said it was very mild not needing treatment), but also I am afraid it will stop me from going pro.
can someone who is maybe a pro boxer give me some advice and tell me whether it will bar me or not? how strict are they on things like these I think maybe I am over worrying, I have put 100 percent into trying to achieve my dreams in the past but my background as a troubled child getting into fights has shattered all my dreams and boxing is all I have left, which makes me anxious about failing to get my pro boxing license in the future due to a mild scoliosis :/ sorry for the long thread and thank you everyone!

Don't know about professional, but at least for amateur boxing in the UK I'd think you should be able to pass your medical without a problem.

Take things step by step. There's not much need for you to worry about a medical for a professional license when you've only just stepped into the sport.

Thanks everyone, can someone tell me what the medical consists of for amateur boxing. I hope I'm fine for amateur and pro boxing in the future, a lot of people don't even know they have scoliosis, doc said mine was mild I hope all is good.

They just ask a few questions and take your heart rate, if I'm remembering mine correctly. It was almost just a formality really.

Your club should foot the bill. You'll only need to take it once so long as you stay reasonably active as an amateur.

And can someone tell me how strict they are during pro medicals? I dont have anything seriously wrong with me. Infact people always tell me I got good posture and look very fit, I think on shoulder is like 1cm higher than the other and thats the only way you can tell really un top of my hips being slightly uneven but thats really not noticable no one noticed it even the docs until I got my xray

They just ask a few questions and take your heart rate, if I'm remembering mine correctly. It was almost just a formality really.

Your club should foot the bill. You'll only need to take it once so long as you stay reasonably active as an amateur.

Thanks mate Im not too worried about amateur I guess as I got almost nothing wrong with me, its just pro fights in the future im worried about, thanks a lot for the advice!

There's an eye test, a hernia test, a heart rate test and a check about medication. :)

Well your best bet is actually going to a doc and having a check up, you don't wanna put your health at risk, if he gives you the heads up then you good to go and will pass the medical, it's there for a reason

Well your best bet is actually going to a doc and having a check up, you don't wanna put your health at risk, if he gives you the heads up then you good to go and will pass the medical, it's there for a reason

I've had a medical check up but not for boxing just a medical check up, it barely took long at all though it was just my weight, height, blood pressure, lights in my eyes, weird things in my ear and taking my shirt off bending over to touch my toes then one of the docs notices a slight muscle imbalance and said its nothing really but I can an xray If I want so I did and I have mild scoliosis which he says does not need treatment and doesn't cause pain or anything like that.

I've had a medical check up but not for boxing just a medical check up, it barely took long at all though it was just my weight, height, blood pressure, lights in my eyes, weird things in my ear and taking my shirt off bending over to touch my toes then one of the docs notices a slight muscle imbalance and said its nothing really but I can an xray If I want so I did and I have mild scoliosis which he says does not need treatment and doesn't cause pain or anything like that.

If he says it's nothing major and its safe you should be good to go

Should be right with that, I doubt it'd compromise your safety.

For my medical I had a blood and urine test, tendon reflex test, eye tracking, vision, hernia, range of motion and other questions to do with general health and well-being. There was a question on mine that required the doctor to check your genitals (part of the hernia check i think). Thankfully I had an Indian lady who wanted no part of that and just asked me, thank god. Probably took about 10 minutes in total excluding the blood and urine tests.

Back