Boxing is not Popular in the Philippines

The cockfights in the Philippines are in small arenas that hold a few thousand people. There are also scores of magazines dedicated to the "sport."

I went to one arena in Manila and there was a big sign at the entrance telling people to check-in there firearms at the gate. I thought that was funny.

Ok, so it a massive thing. The ones here are illegal. Mostly held at farms like the one I went to.A little chilli farm with a bunch of Mexicans(yes i mean illegals) drinking and smoking. I went to my cousins farm and he took me to a neighbor of his who held them. I didn't really like it. There no scoreboards, just a chalk board and there was gambling but I don't speak Spanish to well so I didn't bet(maybe if I did I would have had more fun).

The one they busted last week was a stable for the birds and so called training ground. I don't get it though, they said the are illegal but I rember hearing about Roy Jones raising them and fighting his birds.
So I think it depends on the state you live in or the county.

Edit: I just look it up for the state of NM and they just outlaw them in 2007 and it said LA in the only state were they are still legal.

Last edited:
i thought Luisito Espinosa was pretty popular in the peens. wasn't he in soap operas or something like that?

i thought Luisito Espinosa was pretty popular in the peens. wasn't he in soap operas or something like that?

yes he was, before manny came into the limelight other popular boxers in the 80's were the penalosa brothers and rolando navarette.

I stayed in the PI for two months this year and i swear they played boxing at least 3 times a day, with at least 1 pacquiao fight in there, all the other fights were surprisingly past HBO PPVs with guys like who aren't even filipino like gamboa, martinez, pavlik....

There are bars ive been to that play nothing but old school boxing matches.

Wtf is the TS talking about? Is this some MMA propaganda?

They have friggin viloria commercials, not even for any upcoming fights, just...viloria's face and clips of his fights, every commercial break i'd see one lol...boxing is pretty popular i'd say...

Cockfight tournaments have 20,000 dollar prizes (which is BIG money in the philippines) and are broadcasted on national television, it's kind of funny/corny because of the dramatic music during the matches, but still very entertaining

I stayed in the PI for two months this year and i swear they played boxing at least 3 times a day, with at least 1 pacquiao fight in there, all the other fights were surprisingly past HBO PPVs with guys like who aren't even filipino like gamboa, martinez, pavlik....

There are bars ive been to that play nothing but old school boxing matches.

Wtf is the TS talking about? Is this some MMA propaganda?

it sure sounds like it!! :icon_chee

Last edited:
i disagree with ts in regards to boxing not being popular but for the balisong part, i used to have over a dozen of them :D and almost everyone i know have at least 1 so i say its a little bit true lol.

So it sounds as if boxing IS popular in the philippines

So it sounds as if boxing IS popular in the philippines

But TS has traveled there a handful of times.
Guy has got his finger on the pulse of all things filipino.
He can't be wrong!! I WON'T HAVE IT!!!!

:icon_chee

Before i post my opinion on this thread, was born in Philippines and at 12 years old, moved to US in 1987.

Basketball is the number 1 sport in Philippines, past and present. The pro league and the college associations can be rank as 1 and 2, then follow by boxing, bowling, martial arts, etc...Basketball got the most coverage, whether its tv, radio, or newspapers. In the city, most neighborhoods have their own basketball court or you will see a basketball rim on the side of the street. Even in the province, small towns like where i grew up, have 3-4 basketball courts. The pro league used to play most of the year, meaning 11-12 months, divided in 3 conferences. This mean that each conference is like 3 smaller season play. They changed it a few years ago, i believed for the reason to accomadate international competitions.

Billiards/pool are one of the sports that some Filipinos play. If you go to a city, just like here in the US, there are sports bar that have billiards and pool. If you to the provinces, its just a pool hall. There are currently top ranked and world champions that are Filipinos.

The sports of bowling, all i can tell about find a bowling alley in my province is that i knew only of 1 as a kid. But now a few have existed but only in the bigger towns, mostly located near or in a mall. There were also bowling champs back then.

Boxing also get some media attention before Pacquiao. As a kid, remember watching boxing late at nights, reading it newspapers. I say boxing gets the 2nd most media attention but not as big as basketball gets.

MMA has been around Philippines since around the time of 2000-03, where the first MMA organization was born. They are now getting more media coverage compare to back then.

Basketball is more popular cuz its played 9-10 months out of the year. You can't say that for boxing. The problem also lies with the media networks. While they do cover boxing, it is due to the popularity of Pacquiao. But from my observations, they don't show that much sports coverage. Basketball is the only regular sports show. The media networks are more interested in tv soap operas, news coverage, and entertainment shows(comedy, contest, etc...). They have sports shows but there are no ESPN or Fox Sports.

Volleyball also is one of the sports that is not popular in media but where Filipinos play. There is at least a volleyball leauge in towns during summer. Even in college, there is now a beach volleyball. Other sports were Filipinos participate, whether its just for recreation, tennis(mostly welll of financially), badminton, ping pong, and baseball. There was also a summer softball league in my hometown in the 80's.

As far as my opinion on the ranking of popularit in sports:
Media coverage - basketball, boxing, billiard, beach volleyball, bowling.
Filiipinos participating - basketball, volleyball, billiard, bowling.

But TS has traveled there a handful of times.
Guy has got his finger on the pulse of all things filipino.
He can't be wrong!! I WON'T HAVE IT!!!!

:icon_chee

balut2.jpg

cool to think basketball is so big in filipino....
gerry penalsoa could still take the biggest beating ever.

The UFC is having an event there in a couple of months, with Mark Munoz on the card. LOL at thinking Munoz has national drawing power, but the UFC will take over the country

Basketball is more popular cuz its played 9-10 months out of the year. You can't say that for boxing. The problem also lies with the media networks. While they do cover boxing, it is due to the popularity of Pacquiao. But from my observations, they don't show that much sports coverage. Basketball is the only regular sports show. The media networks are more interested in tv soap operas, news coverage, and entertainment shows(comedy, contest, etc...). They have sports shows but there are no ESPN or Fox Sports.

As far as my opinion on the ranking of popularity in sports:
Media coverage - basketball, boxing, billiard, beach volleyball, bowling.
Filiipinos participating - basketball, volleyball, billiard, bowling.

Parts in bold are exactly what I meant. Thank you.

Parts in bold are exactly what I meant. Thank you.

While true, that's not what your title suggests.

Among the sports you quoted however, only local basketball gets more regular coverage than local boxing. For the second part, you have to expect a noncombat, casual sport to easily have greater participation than combat sports.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back