Boxing is dead

as horrible as this sounds, what boxing needs is an american dominating HW champ. that's when boxing is most popular.

I don't know what the actual data says, but intuitively it seems MMA is losing a little steam but is more popular than boxing in the 18-35 demographic, at least in the US. Worldwide, who knows? Combat sports will always have a place in human sports. But boxing hasn't done itself any favors since the end of the Tyson-Holyfield era. MMA captured the public imagination for a time but the grappling-centric nature of the game has turned many casual fans off.

Both seem to be struggling with finding the next generation of stars. Personally I think K-1 is the best combat sport going, but suffers from some shaky promotion..

a_Low_Kicks_Will_Destroy_A_Boxer_01.jpg

a_Boxer_Is_Done_On_The_Ground_01.jpg

a_Oldest_Man_Beat_Top_10_MMA_Fighte.jpg

UFCdtimsylviaraymercer.jpg
I see what your getting at but, this is a bit ridiculous, ome one could just post pics of couture and toney and change the captions.
this whole debate is most a' foul

Boxing will never die no matter how popular MMA gets. Wanna know why? Because people will always want to watch a good old fashioned fist fight. The idea of two men standing toe to toe and hitting each other with their hands is something that will always interest the public. While other forms of combat have and will continue to take notice from the mainstream, two men punching each other will always be a staple in the athletic world.
I agree, shit I would watch 2 girls punch each other in the face

Has anyone noticed in passing that MMA and boxing for the most part cater to different fans? ESPN did a survey, and found that something like only 10% will watch only one or the other.

Thinking MMA and boxing are competing in a zero-sum game is like thinking the NFL is going to drive the NBA or MLB out of business ... sports fans tend to watch more than one sport.

I suspect the best thing for both MMA and boxing is for both to do well, as similar niche sports (and boxing and MMA are definitely niche sports compared to football, soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR and so on) tend to make each other stronger, not weaker. Every time someone who's never watched any combat sports gets interested in one of them, they're likely to get interested at least a bit in the other. Strong boxing is good for MMA, strong MMA is good for boxing.

Boxing's decline came long before MMA got going, and was self-inflicted (PPV's instead of Saturday Night Fights, way too many weight divisions and organizations ... there are 68 champs in just the major organizations, who can keep track of that?). If anything, MMA has resurrected a bit of interest in boxing (and judo and wrestling as well ... both have got a lot more young folks taking part since MMA started).

Man, well said.
You have good points

Lets be honest, if anybody watched UFC 119, then they'd probably think MMA on the verge of being 6 feet under.

UFC/MMA seems to frequently roll out cards like that. MMA has lost so much steam that it has got to the point now where very few people give a shit about it.

Aside from North America, MMA is irrelevant and honestly people couldnt give 2 shits about it.
Yes 119 was awful, but the summer cards were awesome

Back