Boxing is dead

So Mccoy is banned for trolling the heavys but the boxing forum has to constantly put up with shit like this.

Blaze just cause you can name off what, like 5 boxers off the top of your head does not mean you know the sport. Now I love MMA and will die trying to attend the UFC event in Toronto. But you sir are an ass of all trades.

Great Vid in the OP, some cracking matchups on the way. To the mma fans who don't like boxing why are you posting here, please fuck off back the HWs and stop polluting this board.

Always funny to see MMA fans talk about about their sport killing boxing...guess what...they are both niche sports in N.A. that the mainstream doesn't give a crap about. At least boxing is a legit mainstream sport in some countries worldwide, for MMA that was only maybe the case in Japan for a few years and now its all but gone.

Except for a few fights every few years both boxing and MMA are the sports of a small but very dedicated fanbases. I'm sorry to crush the MMA fantasy of it becoming mainstream, rivaling the NFL and Soccer (more then a few people claim this), but it won't ever happen.

Always funny to see MMA fans talk about about their sport killing boxing...guess what...they are both niche sports in N.A. that the mainstream doesn't give a crap about. At least boxing is a legit mainstream sport in some countries worldwide, for MMA that was only maybe the case in Japan for a few years and now its all but gone.

Except for a few fights every few years both boxing and MMA are the sports of a small but very dedicated fanbases. I'm sorry to crush the MMA fantasy of it becoming mainstream, rivaling the NFL and Soccer (more then a few people claim this), but it won't ever happen.

Want to know whats REALLY FUNNY? I am actually a boxing fan and have been one for 25 years. The last 10 years of boxing...maybe the last 12 have been pretty horrible.

I am old enough to remember the Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran era and how exciting and great it was. Those fighters were the best of their time and they fought wars in the ring and treated fans to some of the most memorable fights in history. It was a great time for boxing.

I remember when this "kid was cruising through the HW division like a Sherman tank. That kid KO'd people with such force, and had such incredible defense, that it was scary to watch. When Tyson fought, it was like watching a horror movie...you know its coming, you just dont know when. Meanwhile, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, George Foreman (again) made the division exciting for years. That was a great time for boxing

I remember a guy that was robbed of a gold medal standing in the ring refusing to leave when the judges gave the fight to the host countries fighter (Korea I believe). That guy went on to win belts in multiple divisions, all the way up to HW. What was more important was watching what he could do in the ring. Roy Jones Jr. was the sickest, fastest, creative fighters I have ever seen. In his early days, before his moves up to HW, the guy was poetry in motion.

I wasnt there, but the 60's and early 70's had some guy named Ali and a huge and awesome cast of HWs for a large majority of his prime and beyond...

...to the point...

Boxing cycles and has great era, with some boring years in between. We have been treated to one of the longest periods of time where we cant spell the HW champions names. Other than Pac Man and Mayweather, there is very little happening in boxing. There are alot of reasons why, but this will be known as Boxings "Great Depression".

It will come back as it always does and by the time that happens, MMA will be at its most popular. This debate will rage on for the next 50 years.

Lets be honest, if anybody watched UFC 119, then they'd probably think MMA on the verge of being 6 feet under.

UFC/MMA seems to frequently roll out cards like that. MMA has lost so much steam that it has got to the point now where very few people give a shit about it.

Aside from North America, MMA is irrelevant and honestly people couldnt give 2 shits about it.

How many people can recognize MMA celebrities beyond Liddell, Franklin, Couture, Ortiz, and Griffin?

There are plenty of people who dont know much about MMA that have heard of Anderson, Fedor, and others. More and more people recognize MMA fighters before boxers, and that is the honest truth. Go up to the average person, and they will probably name more boxers who don't even box anymore, before naming current champs.

^^ Its true, but outside North America is pretty much the opposite. More people in America probably know who Fedor is than people in Russia. But then again, boxing still huge following in mainly urban cities of NA

Im pretty sure most people dont know who prospects like Jon Jones are, but again, its probably where you live and who you associate with that forms opinion. MMA does have a more loyal following I'll say that

Lets be honest, if anybody watched UFC 119, then they'd probably think MMA on the verge of being 6 feet under.

UFC/MMA seems to frequently roll out cards like that. MMA has lost so much steam that it has got to the point now where very few people give a shit about it.

Aside from North America, MMA is irrelevant and honestly people couldnt give 2 shits about it.

But in terms of viewing MMA, they would watch WEC the week after and that thought of MMA would be completely gone. How many times do you get that feeling after watching Boxing events, especially from the big names within the sport. Just recently, Mosley vs Mora or Pacman-Clottey for starters. People who watch MMA knows the sport delivers more often than not. The same cannot be said for boxing..Its hard to find great matchmaking like their used to be back in the 70s-90s. Those days are long gone..and even pro boxers and people involved in the sport will admit that.

days are long gone..and even pro boxers and people involved in the sport will admit that.

Yup, and promotors are working their way out of it. DLH wants a UFC model, Supersix is kinda fail imo, but its still a step in the right direction.

The main misconception is the demographics. The majority of boxing demographics are not middle aged white men or young minorities. A giant portion are young white adults. The same goes for the competitors.

Amatuer boxing is an amazingly huge circuit and all local shows are dominated by young white males, the ones that go above and beyond are minorities. When it comes to competing, boxing is dominant over any other combat sport.
When it comes to the professional entertainment, thtats a compete different story.

MMA fans greatly exaggerate how well the general public know MMA fighters.

Boxing will never die, It just slows down every few years...

mma is definitely growing, and a lot of the younger generation will prolly grow up watching mma instead of boxing. But, i think that the surge of mma will actually bring a lot of people back to boxing. I know that I stopped watching boxing for a while after i got addicted to mma, but after a couple of years I went back to boxing and was a more die hard boxing fan than i was before i started watching mma. Basically MMA MAKES U LOVE BOXING!

There are no packed arenas for boxing? LMAO, Oh wow. Japan and Brazil have embraced Boxing despite having long tradition in traditional martial arts (In Brazil's case Vale Tudo and BJJ) yet they still embrace Boxing. Why cant MMA fans in the states do the same?

Look at my avatar, that guy, Linares, lives in japan. Valero faught there for a large portion of his career. They watched these guys despite not being Japanese. Yet they have a long tradition in Kick Boxing, MMA, Karate, JJ and Judo.

Stop the damn rivalry. That said, Facts are facts. MMA cant touch Boxing ina World wide scale. And UFC holds 12 PPV cards a year and thats all they have to offer. if Boxing had to break it self and all its fihters in only 12 cards in one year it be selling millions of PPV but the fighters would be making shit.

All these sports, Kick Boxing, MMA, Muay Thai... without the Traditional hand techniques from Boxing are what? Think about it. Boxing without kicking, grappling and all that stuff is still BOXING. All these other combat sports (other than the pure grappling) what are they without Boxing?

All these sports, Kick Boxing, MMA, Muay Thai... without the Traditional hand techniques from Boxing are what? Think about it. Boxing without kicking, grappling and all that stuff is still BOXING. All these other combat sports (other than the pure grappling) what are they without Boxing?
What are they all without hands and thumbs? That's why thumb war is the greatest sport known to man

There are plenty of people who dont know much about MMA that have heard of Anderson, Fedor, and others. More and more people recognize MMA fighters before boxers, and that is the honest truth. Go up to the average person, and they will probably name more boxers who don't even box anymore, before naming current champs.

Again, who you normally associate with =/= the average person. Joe Rogan doesn't know any basketball players aside from Michael Jordan, that sport must be dead, right?

:rolleyes:

both sports have their ups and downs, like every sport..... cant we all just get along and respect all combat sports? K1, MMA, Boxing, Muaythai etc etc they all are great in their own way and require different skills.

But in terms of viewing MMA, they would watch WEC the week after and that thought of MMA would be completely gone. How many times do you get that feeling after watching Boxing events, especially from the big names within the sport. Just recently, Mosley vs Mora or Pacman-Clottey for starters. People who watch MMA knows the sport delivers more often than not. The same cannot be said for boxing..Its hard to find great matchmaking like their used to be back in the 70s-90s. Those days are long gone..and even pro boxers and people involved in the sport will admit that.

This is the perfect example of living within your MMA insular bubble while at the same time generalizing boxing which you don't know nearly as much of.

The WEC gets worse ratings then the low budget ESPN2 FNF cards, if you are going to mention stuff that only hardcore fans are aware of then I can mention great boxing matches that happen every week. Also, there is a lot more high level boxing on non-PPV/HBO/Showtime with good ratings...and no I don't care about ZUFFA making money of their overhyped PPVs. If you are a fan of both boxing and MMA, then boxing easily gives better value for money.

Back