Boxing is Australia

I can't really confirm what some of the people here are saying about MMA being bigger and boxing dying (as it is everywhere of course), but as I keep looking into big fights coming out of the country I've noticed the mainstream press seem much more boxing focussed than MMA. I mean MMA fans used to try claim it was taking over the UK until tv ratings started coming out which revealed how few people were watching. Also, remember MMA fans used to say JMMA was still going strong even when it was already well into its dead cycle. Hell some of them still try claim this. The number of amateur boxers in Australia alone would likely dwarf those of MMA fighters anyway. You can probably find all the Australian MMA orgs on Fight Finder and find less than 50 MMA fighters between the lot of them.

In terms of interest from combat sports fans MMA has really grown recently. But a big boxing match with PBF or Pac man will always create interest here. There's a decent stable of Aussie boxers around that create interest with their fights (Geale, Green, Mundine, Billy Dib, Vic Darchinyan etc etc).

But shit like what happened with Green v Briggs won't help the cause of boxing in this country that's for sure.

Surprisingly though the morning of Pacquiao-Marquez IV I heard a few ads on the radio promoting the fight and which pubs were showing it live. First time I've heard that type of advertisement in a long while.

Geale vs Mundine is suppose to be a HUGE event in Australia isn't it? I guess only the "big" names bring out the fans.

I can tell you the amatueer scene in WA is thriving, I remeber when the GG titles where condsiderd somewhat of jock, due to lack of boxers and the general level of experience of the comp, now it actauly has some prestigue about it.

As a local, I can tell you that:

- Most bars air domestic boxing events cos they have a subscription to FoxSports (and no, we don't have USA channels like Showtime etc). International events are sometimes mentioned (e.g. Pac V Marquez 4) but are only shown at specific locations. As such, most coaches and older participants of the sport are only familiar with boxers in or near Australia- sure, they all know who Mayweather is but, for example, my trainer doesn't even know who Khan is. Legit.

- The pro heavyweight circuit is a joke. Most of our heavyweight boxers are only in that division cos they are overweight. Except for Meenhan...yeah. Let's just say I seen amateur state/national champs fight better.

- Pro female boxing gets almost equal coverage here (by equal I mean in proportion of how many participants there are- not like 50/50). I see them on the main/co-main events sometimes and I know they get paid relatively well compared to countries like America etc

- Amateur boxing has been on the rise especially in rural areas (e.g. Wollongong in NSW). There have been more and more female boxers too to the point where male exclusive cards are now in the minority as, typically, most amateur fight nights will have 1-3 female fights (and around 10-12 male fights but still).

- 300+ participants competed in NSW's state comp this year. As an approximate, I'd say there are around 100 amateur clubs in NSW and around 600-ish amateur boxers. Most amateur clubs are community-funded though (unlike muay thai or just about every other art which isn't judo).

- Also, to add to the above, there is literally an amateur fight night every single weekend of the year if you know where to look in NSW.

- Boxercise is EXTREMELY popular in NSW right now- my sister attends an all girls high school and, even there, 5% of the grade had or are currently hooked onto boxercise.

P.S. These are just my observations as an ammy.

Last edited:
Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61153#ixzz2HJdRfXwn
By Edward Chaykovsky

According to several outlets in Australia, 2012 Olympian Damien Hooper was charged with several offenses after allegedly exposing himself to police and spitting in the face of an officer. Hooper was arrested just after 2am yesterday outside the Oasis Nightclub in Dalby. Hooper recently signed a management deal with Xcite Fight and announced his intention to go pro. During the London Olympics, Hooper made headlines after he wore a t-shirt bearing the Aboriginal flag, which went against the protocol of only wearing team uniforms.

"Police detained a 20-year-old Toowoomba resident in relation to other matters when he exposed himself to police and became aggressive and violent," Dalby police sergeant Dave Tierney said to The Daily Telegraph. "Whilst he was being placed in the police van, he spat in the face of an officer. He will appear in the Dalby Magistrate Court on February 19."

"Last night the officer had a blood test. They will do another test in a couple of weeks then another one in six weeks time."

Some of the charges include wilful exposure, obstructing police and serious assault against a police officer.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61573#ixzz2IXYzp0CD

Taiwanese-Australian Junior Middleweight prospect, Yao Yi Ma (11-1, 7 KOs), is the latest boxer to sign with notable Australian boxing manager Mike Altamura. The 28-year-old Ma is the current IBF Pan Pacific Champion and possesses two impressive late round KO victories over veterans Pradeep Singh and Virgil Kalakoda. "Yao's a very tough, high-energy fighter, all-action, and just keeps improving," said Altamura. "He only had 14 amateur fights, but has a great work ethic, and I anticipate he'll only continue to develop."

Altamura's immediate plan is to secure the boxer a bout in Mainland China in either March or April. "I've spoken with the two most prominent promoters in China, and both companies are interested in showcasing him consistently over there," Altamura said. "Given his family background, his fan-friendly style, and his advancement in the pros ranks compared to other Chinese/Chinese-background fighters, it's a no brainer. I'm just awaiting a concrete date at the moment."

Boxing has always been big in Australia.

It is MMA that has exploded over here recently.

Also fitness oriented stuff.

Crossfit / Tough Mudder / Do you even lift bro? / etc

Are you an Aussie mate? Boxing has definitely NOT always been big in Australia. It is experiencing a resurgence at present, but it was almost dead and buried not too long ago.

Are you an Aussie mate? Boxing has definitely NOT always been big in Australia. It is experiencing a resurgence at present, but it was almost dead and buried not too long ago.

Yes I am Aussie and yes it has ALWAYS been big in Australia.

From Jeff Fennech to Kostya Tszyu to Anthony Mundine to Danny Green. We have had a popular Aussie boxer floating around for a long time. Melbourne has always been a very healthy spot for boxing.

Even non-combat fans were interested and aware of big fights. Not so much with modern boxing outside Mayweather/pac etc. But back in Tyson/Lewis/Holyfield days even my grandma knew who was fighting and she certainly isn't a boxing fan.

Maybe it is different in other states but that is how it has always been for Victoria.

Yes I am Aussie and yes it has ALWAYS been big in Australia.

From Jeff Fennech to Kostya Tszyu to Anthony Mundine to Danny Green. We have had a popular Aussie boxer floating around for a long time. Melbourne has always been a very healthy spot for boxing.

Even non-combat fans were interested and aware of big fights. Not so much with modern boxing outside Mayweather/pac etc. But back in Tyson/Lewis/Holyfield days even my grandma knew who was fighting and she certainly isn't a boxing fan.

Maybe it is different in other states but that is how it has always been for Victoria.

I appreciate your opinion. But I respectfully disagree with it.

The number of active pros fighting in Aus is nowhere near what it has been in the past. Some divisions have less than double figures competing. Apart from fights involving Green and Mundine the person on the street has no interest or knowledge of what's happening in Aus boxing.

This wasn't the case when Fenech and Lester Ellis held world titles and boxing was in the media regularly for positive reasons other than sensationalist and racist bullshit Mundine resorts to in order to get his name in the paper.

Back