boxing in the clinch from over/under

What do you mean by game against his neck? If it's some kind of crossface, than sure, crossfacing is a go to. Creates space for elbows, punches, or better grips for grappling.

Whoops. I blame my phone for that. I meant to say "frame." Yeah, basically a crossface with the forearm.

Whoops. I blame my phone for that. I meant to say "frame." Yeah, basically a crossface with the forearm.

I'm thoroughly confused with this thread. Are we talking about utilizing the clinch under muay thai rules or boxing? Because an underhook is drastically different in MT than it is in boxing when referencing offensive/defensive positioning.

Specifically, if you're referencing boxing than "Giving up the underhook to punch over it"..... well, sure you can. But as far as positioning is concerned in boxing (generally speaking) the one letting go of the underhook is defensively more vulnerable to having a punch come over the top of it. I.E: if boxing, you've got 2 weapons and if ones got an underhook and the other ones crossfacing then neither of them are offensive or defensive. In short, all your opponent need do is swing!

Last edited:
I'm thoroughly confused with this thread. Are we talking about utilizing the clinch under muay thai rules or boxing? Because an underhook is drastically different in MT than it is in boxing when referencing offensive/defensive positioning.

Specifically, if you're referencing boxing than "Giving up the underhook to punch over it"..... well, sure you can. But as far as positioning is concerned in boxing (generally speaking) the one letting go of the underhook is defensively more vulnerable to having a punch come over the top of it. I.E: if boxing, you've got 2 weapons and if ones got an underhook and the other ones crossfacing then neither of them are offensive or defensive. In short, all your opponent need do is swing!

Not if you're positioned correctly. The pressure from the crossface keeps his left hand out of commission, and a good tight underhook, with the arm hugged against your chest and neck, doesn't allow any space for swinging with the right.

You can walk somebody all over the ring like this, and choose when and where to release and hit on the break. You could even take their just back to fuck with 'em, Willie Pep style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back