boxing in the clinch from over/under

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by samtotheg, Jan 5, 2015.

1. samtotheg

samtotheg White Belt

So I have a few questions, based on yesterdays sparring session.
    I noticed I can enter the clinch fairly easy and safely in multiple ways. I take minimal damage getting in. The issue is once I establish the under hook with my left and the over hook with my right and turns into him hitting my left side of the body while I am under hooking his arm and me hitting his left side of the body with my right arm. Both of us have our head on each others tricep.

My question is does my head have to be next to his and off his tricep for it me to get the room I need?

2. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

You're under-hooking in boxing?

3. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

What sport?

4. samtotheg

samtotheg White Belt

It was boxing but let me tell y'all this jackass of a spartner, kept trying to do clinch judo takedowns and jiu jitsu in boxing gloves...I think it was frustration to land anything significant while we were standing up.so got me on the floor a few times. It was funny though he fell the last round giving me the mount position, and to answer sinister yeah I was under-hooking with lead arm

and over hooking with my head near the tricep and his head was over my left tricep. In a sense we were leaning to our lefts away from each other, but what is amazing is I could not get my arm in to throw the rear uppercut. I suspect my head should have been next to his head to create that space, but I don't know , I suppose I can film our next sparring session.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Purple Belt

Push your head against his jaw on the side where you have the underhook arm. Uppercut him in the face with the hand that you were using to overhooking his arm.

Watch how Cain Velasquez uses his effective clinch game when fought Junior Dos Santos in their 2nd and 3rd fight, you'll get the idea.

6. Chungungo

Chungungo Getting some snow

You don

7. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Boxing in an MMA gym? or in a boxing gym. The boxing gyms i've been in, if a guy attempted a judo throw in the ring he'd be in a "sparring session" all the way out of the ring to the parking lot!

8. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    Can you use your underhook to tie up his arm? Like an upside-down whizzer, so he can't pull it back to punch? As a disclaimer I don't box and don't know what a punch is.

9. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

I thin Discipulus said in an article that you are supposed to underhook on one side to properly turn an opponent I don't know shit about wrestling so I'll jsut believe him so one underhook should be the way to go to turn an opponent against the ropes no?

10. Cyclone Mike

Cyclone Mike Amateur Fighter

To get the space you need you have to move your head away. Put pressure on with your head then take it away and use that space to punch.

11. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

exactly!

12. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

This

13. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Generally you use under hooks to push and over hooks to pull. So if ts has an under hook with his left arm, that helps him push into his opponent with that side while the right side is pulling, allowing him to turn the guy clockwise.

Not really a good position for dirty boxing. It works in MMA when you get the guy against the cage and can free your overlook arm to punch, or knee with the underhooking arm. But in boxing there's not much to do from there in terms of hitting. You can use it to turn off the ropes effectively, but under hooks take away any ability to hit with that arm and usually kill space.

14. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

I think he said it would help some boxers (I'm not taking sides I know to little). But I don't see why it couldn't be useful sometimes you don't always wanna hit the opponent and depending ont he ref and everything you are either not allowed to do much in the clinch anyway or you have enough time to regain the overhook. Also why not after you turned the other guy not simply give up the underhook as well free your hand and punch with it Hopkins often works with one overhook and so does Ward.
    it isn't like you can't change your arm position and have to stick the with position you entered the clinch with.

PS: maybe I'm taking sides though

15. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Where did I say it wasn't useful or that you can't change the clinch position?

16. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

why do you have to punch him? bust this on him next time...follow up with some (light) ground and pound. then bust the Big John McCarthy "you wanna play the game" line on him as he's getting back up:

17. WillW

WillW Blue Belt

[​IMG]

Judo throws while boxing sparring? wtf is going on, any decent coach wouldnt allow that. If he decides to break the rules, you do so as well.

18. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Willie Pep would be proud.

19. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Alternatively, you could use the right arm to game against his neck and make space that way, while angling off to the left (the side of the underhook). Then let go of the underhook and hot him with a left uppercut, or a left hook over the top.

How does that sound to you, Mike? You're the Muay Thai guy.

20. Cyclone Mike

Cyclone Mike Amateur Fighter

What do you mean by game against his neck? If it's some kind of crossface, than sure, crossfacing is a go to. Creates space for elbows, punches, or better grips for grappling.