Boxing in mma

Massapiece

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Boxing is a martial art and we all love the fighters that put on nice displays of boxing in the cage. I love boxing and mma but i seem to see a divide in the community. Boxing is a martial art that our mixed martial artists need in the tool box.

The divide you see is only there because of insecure people on both sides of the fence. That never becomes more obvious than when reading the "boxing vs MMA" threads on Sherdog. It's not there in any other sense. Boxing has always been a key part of the MMA we have today, and its importance has probably increased in recent years too.

003_Floyd_Mayweather_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.jpg

70% of mma fights are boxing matches, the other 30% is ground grappling.

The divide is what @Sir Punchalot above just said, he's right. Also I have found that many MMA guys get insecure when you bring up the fact that boxing still tends to have a higher caliber of athlete.

Boxing's conditioning is unsurpassed however a high level kickboxer will have the advantage in MMA

Boxing is learning the alphabet as MMA is the spelling bee.
Don't tell them that, they get m..a..d

Its funny how there is no divide between wrestling fan's, BJJ fans and UFC fan's both of those are considered part of mma, for some reason a lot of people act like boxing isn't even part of mma. its all just insecure keyboard warriors.

Last edited:
70% of mma fights are boxing matches, the other 30% is ground grappling.

The divide is what @Sir Punchalot above just said, he's right. Also I have found that many MMA guys get insecure when you bring up the fact that boxing still tends to have a higher caliber of athlete.

No MMA fights are boxing fights, that is a ridiculous thing to say. Boxers don't have to protect themselves from knees, elbows and kicks, boxers also use different size gloves and fight by completely different rules. Even if 2 MMA fighters are choosing to only strike with punches there is still the possibility of take downs and other types of strikes. The whole sport of boxing revolves around punching and punching only, the strategy doesn't involve take down defense or defending against knees, elbows and kicks, or strikes to the legs. Boxers don't have to dodge kicks or worry about take downs, two people in MMA choosing to punch each other rather than grapple does not make it a boxing match, not even fucking close.

MMA guys who hate the sweet science are idiots who've never boxed.
I guarantee you that any MMA guy who trains for a while in a pure boxing gym would change his mind.
It's the typical "armchair general" type of attitude.

And it's also prevalent amongst boxers who never train MMA.
Both communities take a high brow view of their own skillset.

MMA guys who hate the sweet science are idiots who've never boxed.
I guarantee you that any MMA guy who trains for a while in a pure boxing gym would change his mind.
It's the typical "armchair general" type of attitude.

And it's also prevalent amongst boxers who never train MMA.
Both communities take a high brow view of their own skillset.

I remember in the buildup to Mayweather vs McGregor there were people in here talking about boxing as if it was some sort of BS eastern martial art that had been exposed. I would put money on those guys having never set foot in a real boxing gym.

Moreso than probably any other combat sport, boxing involves hard, full contact sparring. Guys who aren’t legitimately tough are weeded out at an astronomical rate.

Boxing always has and always will be the quickest, most practical way of rendering another man unconscious. Boxing in mma has improved drastically over the past decade, but I do feel as though it’s still the most underdeveloped combat sport in mma.

I remember in the buildup to Mayweather vs McGregor there were people in here talking about boxing as if it was some sort of BS eastern martial art that had been exposed. I would put money on those guys having never set foot in a real boxing gym.

Moreso than probably any other combat sport, boxing involves hard, full contact sparring. Guys who aren’t legitimately tough are weeded out at an astronomical rate.

Boxing always has and always will be the quickest, most practical way of rendering another man unconscious. Boxing in mma has improved drastically over the past decade, but I do feel as though it’s still the most underdeveloped combat sport in mma.

I'd say elite striking is still rare even in the UFC.
Not even just boxing, but kickboxing. If you ever watch Glory (kickboxing promo) and watch the likes of Nieky Holzken & Rico Verhoeven, among others, you're just mind blown at the level difference in striking.
IE:

I'd say elite striking is still rare even in the UFC.
Not even just boxing, but kickboxing. If you ever watch Glory (kickboxing promo) and watch the likes of Nieky Holzken & Rico Verhoeven, among others, you're just mind blown at the level difference in striking.
IE:

yeah that’s fair. I was going to suggest Muay Thai was equally as underdeveloped. The UFC would frequently label Anderson Silva as an elite level Muay Thai fighter but he was nowhere even close.

Boxing is a martial art and we all love the fighters that put on nice displays of boxing in the cage. I love boxing and mma but i seem to see a divide in the community. Boxing is a martial art that our mixed martial artists need in the tool box.
There are the people who don't know shit about fighting and expect boxing in MMA to look like boxing in Boxing..... Last time we had one like that he got taken down at will or outstruck by more well rounded UFC fighters. JENEL LAUSA.
<36>
Then there are people who realize the levels of boxing in MMA and that it can look from shitty (Nate Diaz) to beautiful (Jorge/Cody) but if you're expecting angles then you're not well informed in the sport enough.

yeah that’s fair. I was going to suggest Muay Thai was equally as underdeveloped. The UFC would frequently label Anderson Silva as an elite level Muay Thai fighter but he was nowhere even close.

The true elite kickboxers are elite boxers in their own rights, FYI.
Especially Dutch kickboxing which is classic boxing with Muay Thai tacked on to make it a lethal combo.
The GOAT:

The division is more about the level of relevance on the media and the money but it's like a friendly competition, mma and boxing are different things in reality and they have not any real reason to cross the swords, it's just show.

Back